Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

mystilexzero's foglight turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Car Info: GT37R 07
mystilexzero's foglight turbo build

so I've been getting a lot of pm's and regarding the kit i made, so i decided to start up a build thread for my 07 wrx, went through many transformations that i don't think i really need to post up and display, I've had the car for 5 years since i was 18. this was the last photo shoot

Name:  l_11d4ccc74d1141fab3e8f797633b7de3.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  51.0 KB

we had a full coverage on stance nation somewhere, forgot the link but it was pretty cool to be featured and be seen on speed hunters and such.

then the fpgreen finally just wasn't enough for me. so i went a whole new route and with the help of fobiawrx and my friend tanner and a few others shops such as turbo hoses and eqtuning and gstmotorsports, i went all out in a full custom foglight turbo kit build.

started off with the headers mocked up on a spare motor my friend matt had, test fitted it and welded it all up and it was on its way back to me to mount and finish

Name:  photo-1.png
Views: 11
Size:  536.8 KB
decided to gasket match the headers

Name:  photo-2.png
Views: 12
Size:  493.5 KB

Name:  photo-27.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  photo-26.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  56.0 KB

did some test fitting to see how things would layout and fit

Name:  photo-23.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  68.6 KB

started drilling my fuel pump hanger to get the twin walbro's to mount.

Name:  photo-25.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  118.9 KB

walbros all mounted and wired up. twin -6 fittings at the top to each pump, a -6 return line, the first pump is wired stock, the 2nd has two 10 gauge wires, one being grounded to the fuel pump hanger up top and then the power wire feeding a bosch relay, relay to battery, trigger wire tapped into the positive wire ontop of the fuel cell that powers the 1st pump, and the relay ground is also tapped into the negative wire for the 1st pump, reason is because if i didn't run the negative wire on the relay to the 1st fuel pump it would never shut off, it runs as a full circuit.

Name:  photo-28.jpg
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  photo-31.jpg
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  photo-33.jpg
Size:  140.3 KB

intake manifold reversed, ac removed, catch cans one for the heads and one for the block mounted, aeromotive FPR mounted, -8 fuel feed line with a Y block under the manifold to feed both aeromotive fuel rails and -6 return going to the fpr, then a -6 to return to the tank.

Name:  photo-24.jpg
Size:  59.2 KB

mounting the oil pump to scavenge oil from the turbo

Name:  photo-32.jpg
Size:  57.0 KB

got the welded pipe onto the compressor housing rolled, big thanks to Dave at Turbo hoses!! they are a really great shop, really nice people, good deals, and overall I'm one happy customer

will add details in a bit

Name:  photo-38.jpg
Size:  165.0 KB

pulleys all set and mounted! just gotta wait for my welder so we can start with the intercooler piping and oil collector box and we are as good as gold!

Name:  photo-41.jpg
Size:  183.2 KB

got a new oil pump, went with turbowerx's oil pump, i think its a much better piece, bigger, runs cooler, and will do more than just push the oil out. these guys are really great big thanks to marc for such great customer service!

Name:  photo-42.jpg
Size:  177.3 KB

so i was able to chop up and grind down some 3'' aluminum pipes to try and get the last intercooler pipe going. with one fan on the back of the enlarged radiator i had to put the driver side fan in the front and reverse the polarity to get this pipe to some-what, just needs to be tacked, checked, maybe retacked again and again until i get it to fit right. sucks when you don't have a welder at your house and have to drive back and forth.

Name:  536652_10150954059056881_806659419_n.jpg
Size:  94.7 KB

here she is all done! all welded up and finished

Last edited by mystilexzero; 02-04-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 PM

saved for future stuff
Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM

saved too
Old 03-01-2012, 07:43 PM

big thanks to Im Too Lazy aka Dave at Turbo Hoses for the great customer service and help! they had bead rolled my compressor housing to mate to my intercooler, they cleaned it up, and did a really nice job, ill post a picture of it in a bit.

Last edited by mystilexzero; 03-01-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 PM

so as of now I'm stuck.. gotta figure how I'm gonna create an oil collector box for the turbo, i need to find a 4'' cylinder that i can cut to be 2 inches tall, then weld in my two -10 an fittings.

second, waiting on my timing belt pulleys to mount my idler pulleys for my reverse intake manifold set-up, tried using the universal pulleys at auto zone but its too hard to space and bolt them in, i like how timing belt idler pulleys mount and they are much wider and use a small bolt that u can just tighten down and be done.

third, the piping to the block is almost done, just gotta finish the pulleys to see how my piping will route then find a welder to weld my maf flange to the pipe. i have all my piping laid out and can make it fit pretty easy

fourth, gotta figure out how I'm gonna run a second exhaust to go where the original catback mounts. I've seen people C notch the frame and such but it seems crazy, seems like i would need a plasma cutter. ill post picture to explain why. i wouldn't mind running a 2.5'' exhaust, its basically just to quiet the car down as it will also have a side exit cut out exhaust.

Name:  photo-34.jpg
Size:  55.3 KB
Name:  photo-35.jpg
Size:  75.4 KB

as you can see the ****ty part is the part i need to cut is three dimensional so i would need a really big saw if i wanted to cut all the way back there i think without a plasma cutter. secondly i like the idea of the C notch because i would simply put a piece of stainless steel piping in there and weld it to reforge the body, although i drew lines to somewhat think of a way i can do a straight cut and weld in flat pieces of steel in there to reforge the body as well. the dotted line is where i would do a straight cut, the straight line is where the end of the turbo outlet is. and the C is well.. the C cut i would create depending on the route i go

Last edited by mystilexzero; 03-01-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:28 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
great thread!
Custom Fab and Mod all the way!!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:14 PM

thanks for the support! finished the pulleys today for the reverse intake manifold. man its a tight fit! i didn't account for the bigger radiator, thank god for slim fans at least. ill post a pic up in a bit
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM

so I'm returning the oil pump, found out it doesn't suck, it only pushes oil once oil flows into it. ill be going with a turbowerx one instead

Base-Model Pump

should be more than adequate for the job, i don't see a need for the exa pump pushing 3.0 gpm, as long as it can pull oil out of the tank 1 foot above the turbo ill be good
Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Crazy build and cool spot to place the turbo. Who is doing the tuning?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 PM

that sir is still up in the air, I'm down to 2 choices being ed and mike whoever has time to do it.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 PM

so just wanted to do an update, my oil collector box is coming along nicely, almost finished, should be welded up tomorrow.

on a bad note, i guess i put the fittings on the pump too tight, i went to put on another fitting ontop of the -10 to 3/8 npt fittings and heard a crack and knew it was bad news. my mistake i did not follow the torque rules for the pump. however marc at turbowerx was a great guy and actually overnighted me a housing so ill be able to get it going asap, big thanks to marc at turbowerx i highly recommend them they are really great guys!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM

Car Info: Limited WRX WFC #1122
Your builds gonna be crazy aaron! Cant wait to see it all up and running man, gonna be a beast
Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX hatchback Automatic SONNNNN!
I think i crapped myself......this is so awesome.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
in for when i can see pics and not at work lol
Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
pure awesome !!

Quick Reply: mystilexzero's foglight turbo build