Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

My WRB 2011 WRX hatch

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 2011 Subaru WRX 5 Door
The G2 caliper paint has started to come off like crazy over the summer. I was afraid of that, but gave it a try anyway. When I detailed my wheels over the weekend I could really see how bad it's looking, I'll be sanding the rest off when I switch back to my winter (stock) wheels. The Xenenmods decals, however, have held up fantastic.

Last edited by AllAnIllusion; 08-21-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: iz cants spellll
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
What issues did you have with the Cobb intake?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM

The Cobb intake gave me a crazy bad burning smell, it smelled like heated rubber. It would do it under various driving conditions and it never went away in the long run. I noticed an odd smell over the first several drives when I put on the AEM but it hasn't happened in months now and I have been driving everything from boring highway commutes to some "fun on Sunday" drives, no problems. The Cobb did it to me in stop and go in-town traffic and on the highway. I took it off and re-installed it several times, no hoses or anything were touching where they shouldn't have been, the problem still presisted. I left it off for good after a 50 mile commute at normal highway speeds when the smell got so bad I was pulling over and popping the hood every 10 miles or so to make sure nothing was going to explode. My engine temp guage never showed a temp increase. After talking to Cobb (they were great) several times we decided it was best to leave it off, the problem was never traced to the source. I was using the correct OTS map on my AP. I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem with the Cobb intake. The OTS stage 1 ACN map works great for the AEM, I wish I wouldn't have experienced those issues with the Cobb because I really wanted to run a short ram over a CAI. Sorry my answer isn't more specific but we never did find what was causing the smell, all I know is it went away after taking the intake off.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:05 PM

It may be worth noting that despite the smell the performance was never affected
Old 09-14-2012, 03:11 PM

Weekend project! I just got the Subaru exhaust finishers. I really didn't care for these until I saw a picture where they had been paint matched to the body color and I thought it looked really cool, so I am going to be painting them WRB this weekend and hopefully will have them on by Sunday, just depends on if I get to spray them tonight. I'm going to be doing it myself, had the paint loaded into a can, just going to scuff them up, wipe them down with some degreaser, prime them with a self etching primer, a few coats of WRB, a couple coats of clear and hopefully I don't screw it up! The paint itself was a little expensive but it's real auto paint, it was apprx $60 for a half pint of the blue. I will post pics of them painted and post more when they're on, keep your fingers cossed for me.
Name:  002.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  196.8 KB
Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 AM

No pics to post for a reason. The paint came out awful, I can't lie....the color is perfect and really the painting wasn't that bad, but I did an bad job masking. Strip them down tonight and probably give it one more try, I think I have enough paint left.

EDIT: Started sanding down problem spots last night, looks like the paint job will be saved! Should have more than enough paint for what I need to fix, will post when done.

Last edited by AllAnIllusion; 09-19-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 PM

Here's a pic with the paint and new molding, went with a thicker molding and I think it's going to look good. Still have to do some sanding and respray a couple of trouble spots but at least it looks like they will turn out ok. Hoping to have them finished and on within the week, full time work, school and family takes up a little time, lol.
Name:  009.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  190.3 KB
Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 AM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
Have you been happy with the AEM intake so far? Any issues running it with the OTS Cobb map? I just got my car on the Cobb Stage 1 map and ordered the AEM intake as well.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM

I have not had any problems with the AEM on the stage 1 ots map, loving it! Hope you enjoy it as well.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 AM

Car Info: 2012 wrx
I've seen your car in yuba city!! Parked on blevin road! Right down the street from my house. lol sounds kinda wierd, i was just going home.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Lol, not too wierd, I know where I see the locals a lot too haha. My brother-in-law lives on Blevin.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I think you would be really happy with a pro tune.

Wait till you are used to the power you are making now then get it done. It will put a big smile on your face.

Great car nice to see someone who gets out there and gets thier hands dirty doing thier own stuff.

I have grown lazy, and accepted the fact that i am a crappy mechanic so I have GST do all my work lol.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shayhan27
I think you would be really happy with a pro tune.

Wait till you are used to the power you are making now then get it done. It will put a big smile on your face.

Great car nice to see someone who gets out there and gets thier hands dirty doing thier own stuff.

I have grown lazy, and accepted the fact that i am a crappy mechanic so I have GST do all my work lol.
Can't wait for pro tune. After debating on future mods since going to stage 1 the only future power mods I plan on (at least for now, lol) are DP and pro tune for a "proper" stage 2. I still want to do a few smaller mods, engine mounts, maybe sway bars, I'll keep adding the small things, but I'm just about there for power. Keeping her my DD so I don't see crazy power in her future.

And thanks! I like to do what I can myself or with the help of a friend. I didn't do everything myself. Had my struts put on at a shop, had never replaced struts and didn't want to start on this car, lol. If I think I can bolt it in/on without hurting anything I'll usually try though.

Last edited by AllAnIllusion; 01-04-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 11 OBP WRX SEDAN
Sweet ride man I got the same spring/strut setup
Old 01-17-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sticcky
Sweet ride man I got the same spring/strut setup
Nice, how are you liking the setup? I think it's a great alternative to coilovers.

Quick Reply: My WRB 2011 WRX hatch