Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

DarkOnion's 1997 Impreza L

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Better than mot

Car Info: 04 JBP STi
Do you have any pics since you modded your front fender?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Haven't modded the front fender.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:35 PM

See post #40.

I took the car into AI to be aligned, but we came across a little problem. It seems that the trailing arm is bent. I have the alignment spec sheet in front of me and according to Orlando, the Toe on the rear right wheel maxes out at -0.5 and that he can't zero it out. He thinks that the trailing arm is bent and that I should get that fixed instead of doing alignment now and having it done again later. Yeah... I guess I need to find a rear trailing arm and have that taken care of.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:10 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Judging from the pics you have a little too much rake. You should drop the rear and/or raise the front a smidge IMO.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:13 PM

Agreed. I'll have to do that later though. Back in the bay at the moment. All my junk is in Davis.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Car Info: '06 RBP Impreza 2.5i
Originally Posted by darkonion
100% Complete

+1 for roomies, high school classmates, Kevin M, and Kitsune
Fixed. No prob dude! Looks clean.

Karl
Old 07-13-2007, 05:46 PM

I am going to see if I can get some help raising the front a little. I don't really like the look of the car leaning forward. Looks a little too much like a drag racing car. Anyone willing to lend me a hand. Should be pretty easy. I think it should be pretty easy anyways.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:05 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
I am going to see if I can get some help raising the front a little. I don't really like the look of the car leaning forward. Looks a little too much like a drag racing car. Anyone willing to lend me a hand. Should be pretty easy. I think it should be pretty easy anyways.
Nah it looks good leave it.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:21 PM

I don't think raising it another half an inch will hurt. It is just that drag racing look that I don't really like. But it does look pretty decent.

When I lowered the car after installing the front coilovers, I was like... damn!!

I would like to run it a little less stiff though. It is still kind of rough even though the front and rears are still set to 4/15. Looking for something a little more comfortable at the moment.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:59 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Thumbs up

Looks good, Kevin. Let's see how she runs on Sunday.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:35 AM

Yeah. Totally. The only thing I am unhappy about is the ride comfort. I knew that it would be more uncomfortable, but not this uncomfortable. It is sooooo stiff right now on the streets. We'll have to see.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:27 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Yeah. Totally. The only thing I am unhappy about is the ride comfort. I knew that it would be more uncomfortable, but not this uncomfortable. It is sooooo stiff right now on the streets. We'll have to see.

Yeah Kev, I did a similar thing as you. One of my first suspension upgrades was Cusco Zero 2r's, and though it handles really nicely and looked good, it was way to much in terms of a daily driver. It simply was too stiff for me. I eventually got rid of them and went through several spring strut combo's. I feel like with all the trial and errors over time I could have bought Ohlins fixed perch struts! I finally landed on AGX's on Swift springs. I'm pretty happy with it. Eventually when the AGX's are all worn out, I would like to get a different set of affordable struts, perhaps one step up from the AGX's. Maybe the Tokico d-specs. What I have now works well as a daily driver and no dreaded clunking and has a stance I'm happy with. NOt saying you should go the same route, especially since you started autocrossing, just sharing my experience, for what it's worth

~gus
Old 07-14-2007, 01:24 PM

Yeah. I still have to tweak the set-up a little. I still want to raise the front a little and want to turn the dampening down again on all four corners. We'll still have to see. I can always get lower spring rates if things don't work out. I tell ya though, these coilovers really stick though. Hopefully will get a chance to see how they really handle. I think the downside is that the dampening **** is on the bottom side of the assembly, which may be a little troublesome to get to.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:44 PM

Car Info: '07 STI
hey kevin, henry from mach iii here

what dampening did you set it to right now? and what tires are you running? judging by your pics, you need to raise the front quite a bit if you want to make sure you dont have understeer characteristics. try to measure the rideheight by the bottom chassis rail for front and rear. Remember, our suspension design does not like "slammed" look unless you have a huge roll adjuster spacer in there. that should effect the ride quality as well. From my experience, my GR+ rides just like the stock sti suspension. so just trying to see what else you have done. As for the adustment being on the bottom, i do agree that it's a bit troublesome, but what i do is just keep an 8mm deep socket in my glove and use that to adjust. Makes things much easier! Hope you're having fun and make sure you break it in before you go crazy on it!
Old 07-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Car Info: '07 STI
Originally Posted by adizon
Yeah Kev, I did a similar thing as you. One of my first suspension upgrades was Cusco Zero 2r's, and though it handles really nicely and looked good, it was way to much in terms of a daily driver. It simply was too stiff for me. I eventually got rid of them and went through several spring strut combo's. I feel like with all the trial and errors over time I could have bought Ohlins fixed perch struts! I finally landed on AGX's on Swift springs. I'm pretty happy with it. Eventually when the AGX's are all worn out, I would like to get a different set of affordable struts, perhaps one step up from the AGX's. Maybe the Tokico d-specs. What I have now works well as a daily driver and no dreaded clunking and has a stance I'm happy with. NOt saying you should go the same route, especially since you started autocrossing, just sharing my experience, for what it's worth

~gus
WASSUPS GUS!!! it's henry. how you been man?? i think if you want something nice, but not going too stiff, you can actually get these custom ordered to some lower spring rates so that it'll ride like the agx with springs, but you wont have to worry about the shock quality or noise from coilovers!

Quick Reply: DarkOnion's 1997 Impreza L