Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

2002 Wrx

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 04:42 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
2002 Wrx

After reading many inspiring wrx project threads, I though it was about time i made one of my own so here we go.

Phase 1:

My WRX was originally purchased by my dad way back in july of 2001(when the WRX was a rare car, at least where i live). I joined the I-club (after it changed from imprezaRS.com i think) in 2003 under the name of Lotusesprit2000 just for fun. Between 2001 and 2003 the car didnt change much(other than a window tint, K&N filter and boost guage), the car pretty much stayed stock, until i was greatful enough to gain ownership of the car in December of 2003.

The first thing i did was put in some H&R lowering springs. They lowered the car enough so that it didnt look like a monster truck and made the car corner slightly better than before. Since the car was lowered and already looked semi-good, i decided to turn my attention to the performance catagory. I started out by adding a HKS Super Mege Flow intake(which i later sold to go back to the K&N filter) and a GReddy EVO2 cat-back exhaust. The combo of the better air intake with the exhaust really changed the car from its stock state. Acceleration was much smoother and high end torque went up a little. From this point which was around may of last year, i was almost satisfied with the cars performance and hadeling. (Until i rejoined I-Club under my current handle and learned about all the true performance opportunities this amazing car had but thats all in phase 2)

(The pics of my car are when it just had springs, exhaust and intake)
Attached Thumbnails 2002 Wrx-677898_16_full.jpg   2002 Wrx-myoldcar.jpg  

Last edited by HKSwrx02; 05-05-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:07 PM

Phase 2(the insanity begins)

Summer 2004. Nothing better to do than hang out and modify your car(except for the days you have to work). My car was nimble and quick but as all these projects go, everyone wants to go faster and faster.

After doing some reserch on this forum of ways to improve power, i decided to buy an Up-pipe. Knowing how restrictive the stock exhaust system is ,I opted for a catless up pipe from HKS. I choose it mostly becausae of its price and avaliability, but after installing it i realized why it was such a popular mod. Low end power was changed dramatically and now the car could pull hard in all five gears(instead of before when it would kinda die out in the higher gears).

The only other power mods i added over summer were a TurboXS MBC(quick way to increase boost but a pain in the butt cuz boost varys when the weather changes) and a HKS SSQV BOV. Now the car was becoming freaking fast. I decided to call it quits with the mods mostly because i was broke and wasnt making much money. But in September of 2004, all that would start back up again.
Attached Thumbnails 2002 Wrx-car-view.jpg   2002 Wrx-engine.jpg   2002 Wrx-mbc.jpg  
Old 02-04-2005, 05:40 PM

In September 2004, i got into an accident. I was driving on the freeway in rush hour traffic(right after picking my car up from the dealer after having its brakes serviced). I was driving normally. Merging to the right as the exit i needed to take was comming up. And as the traffic starts comming to a hault, some as$*&^% cuts in front of me and i bump right into the back of him(brakes had new rotors and pads so they didnt exactally give me the power to stop that i needed).

Anywhay, to make a long story short, i was responsible and damaged part of the front of my car including the hood and the radiator. During the 2 and a half months the car was in the body shop(due to rain) i decided that since i was going to have to replace the exterior parts of my car, what a better opportunity than to replace them with OEM parts from the japanese spec STI Ver.7. Since i hadnt upgraded my car in over 2 or 3 months and had money saved up, i paied the deductable(thank god for insurance) and began buying up the parts for the JDM conversion.

First thing i bought was the JDM projector headlights. I got a pretty good deal from Autobacs in Orange County within no time, they were installed. Then i got a STI front grille (thanks to Subydude) and some STI foglight covers. Thankfully all these parts went on the car when i got it back in November and i could continue on my quest to build the wrx of my dreams(at least until i ran out of money
Attached Thumbnails 2002 Wrx-newfront.jpg   2002 Wrx-newsde.jpg  

Last edited by HKSwrx02; 12-31-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:07 PM

Between November and now, my car has pretty much come to a compleation of its conversion. Somewhere inbetween the summer and wrecking my car, i added some TEIN Basic DAmper Coilovers which ended up being an excellent choice for my street set up.

Now i have added since november: 17 inch Rota formels in Bronze with new Yokohama tires(again thanks to Subydude), Painted the side skirts, Added some JDM badges and decals,a alpine headunit, HKS downpipe and most recently a carbon fiber front lip from LNR Enterprise. The only other mods im hoping to purchase within the next couple of months are a Stage one ECU reflash from Vishnu and possibly a STI hoodscoop and some small brake upgrades. Other than that, i just plan on enjoying the car and mabye taking it to some track days or autoX events in teh future.

Heres some of the most recent pics of the car.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/ongoing-projects-31/my-new-wheels-86934/

Last edited by HKSwrx02; 12-31-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:12 PM

Well i finally had a chance to get my new Alpine Headunit installed as well as put in my HKS dp(that i have had for a while). Heres a few pics of them. Some mods that are currently being in the making are some Gold 18 in Rota Tarmac2's, Possibly a STI V1 front lip and a OEM rear lip. Hopefully if i can get those things, they will be on at the earliest by the summer.
Attached Thumbnails 2002 Wrx-picture-stero.jpg   2002 Wrx-picture-dp.jpg  
Old 03-08-2005, 07:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
When I saw "Phase 2 The Insanity" I was like...YES!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:50 PM

lol
Old 03-09-2005, 11:11 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
noice, i see you also have the cf interior trim that your not telling everyone about ..
Old 03-09-2005, 12:57 PM

Yup, that was a dealer option, but to be honest i kinda like the aluminum look better(opens up the interior a bit)
Old 03-14-2005, 01:32 PM

Bit of an Update on my car. Im in the process of getting some 18' Tarmac2's in Gold(BTW the bronze formels are for sale). Im also considering selling the CF front lip and getting a V1 front lip and a OEM rear lip. Let me know what you guys think, CF front lip or OEM rear lip and V1.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:28 PM

Your car is definitely one of the nicest cars in the WV parking lot....but are you the fastest? (jk) Hurry up and race Joey before his Rustang breaks down.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:42 PM

LoL. Thanks, but i think the TL is the number1 car in the WV lot.

Last edited by HKSwrx02; 03-20-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:34 PM

Just curious of your guys opinion on the STI CF wing. Ive been thinking about getting one because its of coarse JDM and because it gives the car that extreme aggressive look the stock wing lacks. Should i stay with the stock wing or go CF to match my front lip?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Put you're heatshield back on and paint you're side skirts.

Quick Reply: 2002 Wrx