Newbie & FAQ New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the I-Club group. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Test Pipe function?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:41 AM

Car Info: 2002 Wrx Impreza
Test Pipe function?

noob questions, to be honest i dont know much about cars but i want to learn more that i drive a wrx. "Test Pipe" what does it do? can someone explain to me this in detail. Sorry for dumb question.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB Wagon
It's just a catalytic converter delete.

A straight pipe that takes the place of where the cat was.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by reign_
It's just a catalytic converter delete.

A straight pipe that takes the place of where the cat was.
oh so it takes out the cat? what does it do as in performance for the car?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:07 AM

Depending on mods you could be looking at 10 maybe 15hp max.

If you're thinking about doing it, I'd just go for a high flow catted down pipe. Getting rid of your cat can make thing get dirty quickly, and there can be a smell involved.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by reign_
Depending on mods you could be looking at 10 maybe 15hp max.

If you're thinking about doing it, I'd just go for a high flow catted down pipe. Getting rid of your cat can make thing get dirty quickly, and there can be a smell involved.
oh ic. Those high flow catted down pipe are smog legal right? cause they have a cat on it?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by bryn.borjal
oh ic. Those high flow catted down pipe are smog legal right? cause they have a cat on it?
Lol no. Virtually nothing is smog legal.

Only things that you can do intake and exhaust wise legally are a catback exhaust and a carb certified intake.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Subies dont use test pipes. That is more of a honda thing Which as stated above removes the catalytic converter.

With a susburu you will be looking for a down pipe but typically you would do a turbo back exhaust at the same time Seem to be the first thing everyone does when they get a WRX or STI.

Seems you are a little new to the suburu game so dont make the same mistakes I did. YOUR CAR IS NOT A HONDA!!!!!! Particularly when you change anything on the exhaust or intake side you will either need an Accessport which you can get a V1 for really cheap on your car, or you will need to be tuned.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
catless is bad. no more rolling down your windows unless you like raw fuel smell.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:29 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I like raw fuel smell.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Overbear's Power Bottom

Originally Posted by queeg9k
I like raw fuel smell.
meeee tooooo!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shayhan27
Subies dont use test pipes. That is more of a honda thing Which as stated above removes the catalytic converter.

With a susburu you will be looking for a down pipe but typically you would do a turbo back exhaust at the same time Seem to be the first thing everyone does when they get a WRX or STI.

Seems you are a little new to the suburu game so dont make the same mistakes I did. YOUR CAR IS NOT A HONDA!!!!!! Particularly when you change anything on the exhaust or intake side you will either need an Accessport which you can get a V1 for really cheap on your car, or you will need to be tuned.

Good luck.
THanks for the info. So now im looking to get a Turbo Back exhaust for my car. Any recommended brand? And i have been looking to get a AP also
Old 02-22-2014, 01:21 AM

Car Info: @eatwithnaveed
full catless turbo back will get you better airflow technically. Just be careful with cops cuz they can be dicks about it. Honestly any brand will do since your not doing a crazy build. It really depends on the exhaust sound/look you want to be honest. My favorite exhaust is definitely the blitz nur spec r. But they're impossible to find. Try to get something titanium. Titanium exhaust save a **** ton of weight and typically sound better. Personally, I run full catless all the time. You get a nice deep sound and some turbo spool too. And as stated above, get an accessport.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by StealthMODE
My favorite exhaust is definitely the blitz nur spec r. But they're impossible to find.
?

Blitz NUR-R Cat Back Exhaust System Subaru WRX / STI 2002-2007 MS3080 at RallySportDirect.com
Old 02-23-2014, 11:35 PM

Car Info: @eatwithnaveed
i meant used. sorry. lol.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by StealthMODE
full catless turbo back will get you better airflow technically. Just be careful with cops cuz they can be dicks about it. Honestly any brand will do since your not doing a crazy build. It really depends on the exhaust sound/look you want to be honest. My favorite exhaust is definitely the blitz nur spec r. But they're impossible to find. Try to get something titanium. Titanium exhaust save a **** ton of weight and typically sound better. Personally, I run full catless all the time. You get a nice deep sound and some turbo spool too. And as stated above, get an accessport.
after doing a few research i think im going with a turbo catback exhaust system. Im looking at a Invidia N1 Turbo Catback exhaust. Thanks for the information.

Quick Reply: Test Pipe function?