Newbie & FAQ New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the I-Club group. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Spings vs Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:21 AM

Car Info: 2002 Wrx Impreza
Spings vs Coilovers

Hey what up i-club!!! I a recently join the subaru club i got an white 02 WRX Impreza. Im considering of lowering it but im not too sure which route i should go. Either H&R or Eibach springs or coilovers (not too sure which brand). I would appreciate any inputs. This car will be a daily driven car wont be racing or anything.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 AM

Car Info: 2008 subaru impreza wrx sti
For a dd go with some tein s techs, lowers the car a bit and isn't to rough of a ride. That's what I'm runnin on my car

Sent from my iPhone using i-Club
Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 AM

hows the ride? and how low did it made your car? got a pic?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
That's the first time I've heard any positive info on Stechs. Not bashing the guy above just saying. I have Stechs on my 06 wrx and i could not hate it more...

I just got Kyb gr2 struts with rce yellows, once I get them on I will let you know
Feal 441 is a great coilover from what I hear.
Odi is VERY knowledgable.

My .02
If you wanna buy Stechs I'll have some with stock struts for sale soon
Old 07-26-2013, 01:29 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
No no no DO NOT GET S-Techs.....

If you are on stock struts I recommend getting some replacements. RCE springs are nice, so are swifts.

If you do not need to fit more tire, or need to have adjustments done, coilovers are not worth it for you. Just a headache and more issues down the road with a lot of stiffness.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Heedz
No no no DO NOT GET S-Techs.....

If you are on stock struts I recommend getting some replacements. RCE springs are nice, so are swifts.

If you do not need to fit more tire, or need to have adjustments done, coilovers are not worth it for you. Just a headache and more issues down the road with a lot of stiffness.
This. I wanted coilovers for a while but kinda realized that for me they're Too expensive to justify, and I wouldn't be using them to the full potential,
Old 07-26-2013, 03:35 AM

Car Info: 2002 subaru impreza wrx
Im in the aame boat as you man im due for new suspension. unless your willing to apend 1500 + bux for a real good set of coils stick with struts. I heard bad things about teins also. The spring gets weak with time therefore it's a ****ty ride. I hear koni yellows or tokico d specs are good struts. For springs I've heard good things about rce blacks swift springs and even eibach pro black kit
Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by wrx_sti_turbo
For a dd go with some tein s techs, lowers the car a bit and isn't to rough of a ride. That's what I'm runnin on my car

Sent from my iPhone using i-Club
Please don't offer advice. You just told him to run the worst possible spring. Enjoy your blown struts.

OP, if you're not racing at a competitive level, use springs. Mach V Blues are what I'd recommend. You're gonna need new struts too since I think you said they were still the original.

Originally Posted by Will George
That's the first time I've heard any positive info on Stechs. Not bashing the guy above just saying. I have Stechs on my 06 wrx and i could not hate it more...

I just got Kyb gr2 struts with rce yellows, once I get them on I will let you know

My .02
GR2s can't handle RCE Yellows. Your car is going to ride like a trampoline and you're gonna blow the struts. You either need better struts or FAR less aggressive springs.

You should also get top hats.

Last edited by Brfatal; 07-26-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:43 AM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
don't recommend coilovers if it's a DD.

I ran Swift Spec-R springs and absolutely loved them over the stock springs. even 1" drop all around.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Originally Posted by Will George

My .02
+1, S-Techs are for looks only with no real benefit. I had them on my 2008 and destroyed the struts.

I swapped to Eibach springs and couldn't be happier!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:24 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K

keep stock struts, take saw to stock springs and call it a day!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Thanks seems like i will be going for springs been hearing a lot of good stuff about Eibach for Wrx. If i do go with eibach springs should i go with different struts? and what would be a good match with eibach. Also a noob questions what does a top hat do?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by bryn.borjal
Thanks seems like i will be going for springs been hearing a lot of good stuff about Eibach for Wrx. If i do go with eibach springs should i go with different struts? and what would be a good match with eibach. Also a noob questions what does a top hat do?
for the front, tophats allow rotation on the bearing in top hat. when wheels turn the strut needs to turn as well. the top hats in the front allow this. as well as serve as load bearing bushing? sstill not to familiar with diff suspension setups. but you will always have a load bearing and following bushing.

the rears are just the bushing IIRC.

not much info, but i hope it helps out some.

and not to mention the blatantly obvious, but they hold your strut to your whip...
Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal

Please don't offer advice. You just told him to run the worst possible spring. Enjoy your blown struts.

OP, if you're not racing at a competitive level, use springs. Mach V Blues are what I'd recommend. You're gonna need new struts too since I think you said they were still the original.

GR2s can't handle RCE Yellows. Your car is going to ride like a trampoline and you're gonna blow the struts. You either need better struts or FAR less aggressive springs.

You should also get top hats.
I read that they can with a google search...
Reccomend me a strut for the rce yellow
Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
WRX fitment GR-2s couldn't even handle JDM STI V7 Pinks, which are far less aggressive. I blew all 4 in 20-25k miles of driving.

I don't think Koni Yellows can handle them either. In GD fitment, only D-Specs are really suited, and they are on long term back order, though some shops may have stock. Yellows are very aggressive on the GD platform. It's getting to where some people start complaining about the ride.

Quick Reply: Spings vs Coilovers