maine forest rally july30-31

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 07:34 AM

I did not attend last year's events, but I went to the two previous. They are a good time. However there are a few draw backs. The events are fun, and watching the cars are a blast. but the real fun is going from stage to stage. the maine roads area blast to haul around on. But I think that Police are catching on to the revenue opportunities that come every year. Ive seen many people pulled over and a few tickets issued. Its hard to want to fight them when you drove 4 hours up there in the first place.

As for viewing sections, there arent many, and they can get fairly crowded. The linesman, although working for our safety, can be *******s at times. The viewing sections are usually at the end of the course within a mile of the finish. The first year we went, we walked about 2.5 miles into the course looking for the "perfect" turn to spectate, we found some good stuff, but we kept thinking there was going to be something better around the next bend.

When we went, we stayed at the Sunday River hotel, which is up on the mountains access road. Its a nice place and If you were to book soon, you'd probably get a pretty good rate. Plus the Sunday River Brewery is at the bottom of the accces road, and they serve up some great gfood and the 420 IPA (9% alcohol content) which you have to be very careful with, its easy to get carried away.

Cliff notes:
-Its a good time to spend a few days in the woods.
-you get to do some Incredible driving both on and off Road (I suggest a Radar dector)
-You can meet some cool people, and see some really cool cars.

*There was a big crash there last year. A spectator rolled his WRX into a firey ball. As far as I know, no one was hurt. But I would expect a step-up in speeding enforcement.

I hope that covers all grounds.