Notices

Sno*Cruise 2012/13

Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 PM
  #31  
Registered User
 
RM3851's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: OC
Posts: 185
Car Info: '14 STi 02C Croatianized
Also, gold stockers are gonna get some "winter" love. Really tried getting Nokian WRG2s but couldnt find them under 200 a pop...

So DWS it is...
RM3851 is offline  
Old 12-22-2012, 06:03 PM
  #32  
Registered User
iTrader: (8)
 
WRX~Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 2,047
Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Anyone have experience with Falken 612's in the snow? I'm in 225/40r18, I'd like to go for the day but concerned that these tires won't perform well in the snow.
WRX~Mike is offline  
Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM
  #33  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Yuba City
Posts: 201
Car Info: 09 WRX PREMIUM
Originally Posted by WRX~Mike View Post
Anyone have experience with Falken 612's in the snow? I'm in 225/40r18, I'd like to go for the day but concerned that these tires won't perform well in the snow.
Just give it more throttle! You'll be Fiiine!
Trakjunky is offline  
Old 12-23-2012, 05:54 PM
  #34  
Registered User
 
RM3851's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: OC
Posts: 185
Car Info: '14 STi 02C Croatianized
The plan thus far is to come back to EG on the 30th... If I miss it, Imma be pissed haha
RM3851 is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 AM
  #35  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
RALIWGN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yuba City, CA - reppin the Wagon Mafia
Posts: 326
Car Info: AW '04 WRX Wagon w/JDM STi drivetrain swap
Any more details? Meet - when/where? Route, destination, etc? I found snow in LaPorte this last Saturday:







I assume we'd meet somewhere in Sac, but are we heading up 80? 50?

Last edited by RALIWGN; 12-31-2012 at 08:35 AM.
RALIWGN is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 AM
  #36  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
seckSti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 321
Car Info: 2011 Spark Silver Sti 4DR
Originally Posted by WRX~Mike
Anyone have experience with Falken 612's in the snow? I'm in 225/40r18, I'd like to go for the day but concerned that these tires won't perform well in the snow.
i've got 912s and they supposed to be the new 612's or something. but tbh i think they suck in wet/snow. alot of ppl reviewed them as good in wet but i don't like em. and this past weekend in the snow it was alright but im gonna try a set of continental dws when i get some cash. these were just budget tires for me to get past chain controls. after i get dws i'm going to invest in a set of dedicated snow tires and wheels.

Sent from my i4s using i-Club
seckSti is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 12:32 PM
  #37  
Registered User
 
RM3851's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: OC
Posts: 185
Car Info: '14 STi 02C Croatianized
Originally Posted by seckSti View Post
i've got 912s and they supposed to be the new 612's or something. but tbh i think they suck in wet/snow. alot of ppl reviewed them as good in wet but i don't like em. and this past weekend in the snow it was alright but im gonna try a set of continental dws when i get some cash. these were just budget tires for me to get past chain controls. after i get dws i'm going to invest in a set of dedicated snow tires and wheels.

Sent from my i4s using i-Club
The video posted in this thread from the last cruise shows my ride, 05 STi that had 912s on it. And if u see doing donuts was impossible. It was icy and all but still... If you want that kind of fun, yes DWS or since you mentioned dedicated winter tire setup, look no further than Nokian Hakka Rs. Those are RS3s of the snow
RM3851 is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM
  #38  
Registered User
iTrader: (8)
 
WRX~Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 2,047
Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Originally Posted by RM3851 View Post

The video posted in this thread from the last cruise shows my ride, 05 STi that had 912s on it. And if u see doing donuts was impossible. It was icy and all but still... If you want that kind of fun, yes DWS or since you mentioned dedicated winter tire setup, look no further than Nokian Hakka Rs. Those are RS3s of the snow
Thanks for the advice guys!
WRX~Mike is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 01:10 PM
  #39  
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
bobb126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,345
Car Info: '01 GC8 & '96 OBS
I think I have the time off, so let's do this
bobb126 is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 PM
  #40  
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (86)
 
1JavaBlk_in_Sac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sac CA
Posts: 4,351
Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
ok, so should we make it this Sunday (12/30/2012) or next one (1/6/2013)?
Up to you guys.
Let's make it happen.
I think we should meet up in Roseville area around 10AM, then head up I-80 E

Last edited by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac; 12-27-2012 at 11:14 PM.
1JavaBlk_in_Sac is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 PM
  #41  
Registered User
 
RM3851's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: OC
Posts: 185
Car Info: '14 STi 02C Croatianized
Originally Posted by WRX~Mike View Post
Thanks for the advice guys!
Np. I used to live in Modesto for a couple of years during the JC days haha
RM3851 is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:08 AM
  #42  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
RALIWGN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yuba City, CA - reppin the Wagon Mafia
Posts: 326
Car Info: AW '04 WRX Wagon w/JDM STi drivetrain swap
Originally Posted by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac View Post
ok, so should we make it this Sunday (12/30/2012) or next one (1/6/2013)?
Up to you guys.
Let's make it happen.
I think we should meet up in Roseville area around 10AM, then head up I-80 E
I vote for 12/30, since it's supposed to snow Saturday & there will be more snow on the ground this Sunday vs no forecast snow for the next week.
RALIWGN is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 03:33 PM
  #43  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 190
Car Info: 2007 STI Limited
I am really down for this but am afraid my tires will have no traction at all if there is deep snow. I have Dunlop SP Sport 01 which have a crappy rating in snow. Any thoughts? The Falken 912s have a better rating on snow than the Dunlops. Might have to sit this one out unless I can find a stupid deal on some tires.
02subieguy is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 03:39 PM
  #44  
Warm Fuzzy Admin
iTrader: (45)
 
sybir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 13,799
Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
912's are m&s in name and compound only. The tread pattern is a copy of a UHP Advan Neova variant that's a summer/3 season GT-type tire. Do not play in snow with them unless you know how to manage your traction circle - they don't have enough voids to pack with snow (which gives traction) and not enough sipes to handle any short of ice.

That said, I've got a few sets of them, and as long as you don't treat it like an all-season in the snow you'll be ok.
sybir is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM
  #45  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
seckSti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 321
Car Info: 2011 Spark Silver Sti 4DR
Originally Posted by sybir
912's are m&s in name and compound only. The tread pattern is a copy of a UHP Advan Neova variant that's a summer/3 season GT-type tire. Do not play in snow with them unless you know how to manage your traction circle - they don't have enough voids to pack with snow (which gives traction) and not enough sipes to handle any short of ice.

That said, I've got a few sets of them, and as long as you don't treat it like an all-season in the snow you'll be ok.
+1. i actually took my car up with these tires past weekend in the storm and it handled like ****. had to keep pumping brakes just to avoid skidding cuz abs kicks in and screws everything up. it was good enough to get thru the snow since everyone else is going 30mph or slower but on ice it was scary/exciting lol. i went side ways on i-80 but recovered, and there was a black 08+ wrx or sti behind me that saw it. when the road was blocked for 2 hrs he came up while my bro was outside and asked if my tires were rally tires or something.

tbh if i had to do it again i would if i'm on a budget for tires(but go for dws for 200 more and better all around). but i'm for sure investing in some snow/ice tires setup soon just to protect my car from any unknown situations.


o and my car got stuck up at mt rose parking lot after a day of shredding. had to have a few guys help push the car out and it was good to go. but im
sure if i had better tires that wouldnt have happened lol

Sent from my i4s using i-Club

Last edited by seckSti; 12-28-2012 at 04:00 PM.
seckSti is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sno*Cruise 2012/13


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.