Intake & header? for BC EJ22

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 93 BC Ej22
Intake & header? for BC EJ22

sorry you guys must get these alot but I can't seem to find(even searched the boards) any info for intake and exhaust for BC EJ22 legacys. I'm still fairly new Scoobies but I'm inlove. (first love is a Mustang SVO 2.3T)

I own a 1993 Legacy L. I've removed the snorkel and intalled magnaflow hiflow cat and a magnaflow XLperformance series. I know it's no race car but I love it as my daily driver. so I was looking for an intake to help with minor performance but mostly a nice healthy sound. and also seeing if I can find some headers that will also contribute.

I have two simple questions

1. Are there any Intake systems or headers for the BC EJ22? I look but can't find any.

2. As I am familiar with the Ford Lima2.3 block I know the EJ22 has to be compatible with other lines. So, which other cars(impreza?) and years(95?) can I use parts from?

thank you much in advance!
Old 09-10-2005, 11:58 PM
DLC

Car Info: 2000 Leg GT LTD
You may want to come over to the Legacy Central bbs: http://bbs.legacycentral.org Many of the members are turbo drivers, but there are a lot of NA guys. You may be able to find the answers to some of your questions there.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:51 PM

thanks! I swear I been to that site before but when I searched for it again I couldn't find it for the life of me, I found that site through here at one point.

oh and so far all I did was remove my airbox, but a throttlebody adapter drill some holes and presto, I now have a conefilter. I'm happy with my intake. now it's onto headers.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Originally Posted by Silver84
thanks! I swear I been to that site before but when I searched for it again I couldn't find it for the life of me, I found that site through here at one point.

oh and so far all I did was remove my airbox, but a throttlebody adapter drill some holes and presto, I now have a conefilter. I'm happy with my intake. now it's onto headers.
Are you serious? Please tell me your joking, if your not - take your makeshift cone filter off and put your air filter back on. You can destroy your turbo (if you have a turbo) or your engine if you get debris in there.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:34 PM

lol no, and you must not have read my post.

I have a Legacy L EJ22. the EJ22T was not optional on the L series.

but also... why would putting a conical filter on my MAF "damage" my turbo? it's a pretty much standard mod for my 2.3T stang, and from what I've seen on other turbo cars it doesn't harm the motor? it's just replacing the airbox with an open element filter. only damage I foresee would be the filter oils being sucked off the filter and building up on the hotwire of the MAF over time.

Is there something I should be aware about?
Old 09-11-2005, 09:40 PM
VIP Member

lol no, and you must not have read my post.

I have a Legacy L EJ22. the EJ22T was not optional on the L series.

but also... why would putting a conical filter on my MAF "damage" my turbo? it's a pretty much standard mod for my 2.3T stang, and from what I've seen on other turbo cars it doesn't harm the motor? it's just replacing the airbox with an open element filter. only damage I foresee would be the filter oils being sucked off the filter and building up on the hotwire of the MAF over time.

Is there something I should be aware about?
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought that you made your own cone filter by drilling holes in something... A real cone filter won't hurt anything.

My bad!
Old 09-11-2005, 10:13 PM

here is a pic of what I did, this pic was just he tes fi but assure I have hoseclamps and I'm making a support bracket... nvm the dirty engine bay, gotta clean that soon.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:27 PM
VIP Member

here is a pic of what I did, this pic was just he tes fi but assure I have hoseclamps and I'm making a support bracket... nvm the dirty engine bay, gotta clean that soon.
Looks cool... why go with this and not go with a aftermarket part? Just wondering...
Old 09-13-2005, 07:20 PM

if you are refering to the intake itself... well I wish I could find some answers to wether or not the intakes from new subys would fit. as for the Filter, it's Injen.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Car Info: 34k and 5 sets of tires
I'm not sure why you think that taking hot air from inside the engine bay is preferable to cool intake air. Not to mention that the maf needs a pretty smooth flow of air to meter properly.

The filter is the same one as is used on the 300hp 300zx. I doubt its a restriction for a 130hp subaru.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:53 PM

you know I get that and hear that from alot of people abou hot air... as if I'm running a super complicated system requiring as much cold air as possible. you didn't get what I posted. I understand air supply and air to fuel ratioand dense air=more power.

these N/A motors don't create enough heat to greatly or even dramaticaly disrupt my intake charge.

I knoq it's not a rocket, but to tell me it hurts my motor even though it now pulls hard(for having just 130HP) all the way to the red. hell it SOUNDS meaner. if anything I was wanting just a better sounding car.

Just to let you know. the maf is a hot wire, as air flows over it i sends a higher signal to the ECU, but it doesn't read air all alone, the air charge sensors work with it to calculate how much air your engine is breathing.

oh and if you say the stock filter is more then enough to let it breath... please don't respond to my post with a technical answer telling me it is... if you REALLY knew basic motor properties and engine characterisics you wouldn't have said what you did
Old 09-20-2005, 12:34 AM

if you REALLY knew basic motor properties and engine characterisics you wouldn't have said what you did
Sorry to step on your toes, mr. shelby.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:22 AM

screw it, i have to give a proper reply.

True, the engine bay is not significantly hotter than the outside air. But since the stock box already draws from the outside air, its still better.

Yes, it will pull a little better at the top end. This is because of the snorkus in the fender. The snorkus is also a silencer; pulling it will make the car noisier and feel better at the top end.

I'm aware of how the maf sensor works, are you aware that there is no charge speed sensor?

The main reason to avoid a cone (besides the stumbling and hesitation at low rpm) is that the vibration will muck up the maf. A replacement will cost at least 88$ from a junk yard and almost 500$ from a dealer. It's happened more than once.

So, to conclude, seeing that the gains over a desnorkified car are negligible (read: probably a detriment), it makes financial sense to run a stock airbox with the snorkus removed, if that's your thing. Why **** around for 2 horse?

I gave a curt reply because usually the kids adding cone air filters don't really know what they're doing. That doesn't give you an excuse to be an arsehat.

I have had an old legacy for a long time now, and have already been down this road. Do whatever the **** you want.

Last edited by scottzg; 09-20-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:11 PM

thank you for the more detailed response as to why I should not have a conical, what got to me was the basic "what are you thinking" without any info.

yes I do know over time the oil build up on the hotwire will hurt the air metering, but a simple solution to that is electrical cleaner, done this with the other cars I've had/own and they work just fine.

I did remove the snorkel at first and was happy with it, it did pull slightly better. But when I had my exhuast done, I couldn't hear the motor very well. I wanted a balnance of motor/exhaust. the car did get a deepr sound but you can't notice it oo much while just driving, it makes a hell of a difference in the top though.

and to be honest I have not noticed any stumbling at idle or low rpms, I've run over a week with no problems. it has power from start to finish. if it does start to stumble I will play with it abit before putting the airbox back on, I'll mostlikley make it coldair, by just extending the filter to the wheel well, should help flow air smoother if I run into this.

sorry for being an arseha about it, I just rather see constructive critisim about a shadetree mod. more info to help understand your point of view as to why something shouldn't be done or as to why it should. again thank you for the response.

oh and I still haven't found info on headers for this car, any help with finding some from another model that will fit or am I just out of luck on that?

Last edited by Silver84; 09-20-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:34 PM

It's not the oil (although im sure that can't help) it's the vibration. Be sure to have it well mounted. My car stumbled horribly, but when i made a box for it, it ran pretty smooth. Shrug. Eventually switched back to the stock airbox.

Second hand information, anything made for a phase 2 ej22 may not work, the exhaust ports are different. Supposedly ej25 headers will work, as will some borla ones made for this engine. Only person i know of who put ej25 headers on took them off pretty quickly. That was azn2nr on the bbs. I don't know of anyone doing it, but ej20t headers should work too. All the legacy/impreza 4cyl's are pretty much the same.

Quick Reply: Intake & header? for BC EJ22