Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

Subaru new LEGACY

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 01:52 PM
wdb

A couple of comments.

1. To answer my own question, this car is a significant upgrade over the current Legacy, despite the similarities in overall shape. It's essentially an all-new body structure, lighter and stronger at the same time. Plus there are significant engine mods such as equal-length headers (and a considerable amount of cylinder head redesign to make it possible). Suspension changes are fewer but also significant, such as the use of aluminum to save unsprung weight.

2. Subaru does something for their Legacy wagons that few others do anymore; they make everything from the A-pillars back specific to the wagon. Look at the horizontal window lines; see how smooth they are, and also how the rear door windows blend right into the rearmost side window sections? Now look at a Taurus, or even the Impreza wagon. Notice how the rear doors and windows are identical to the sedan, how the wagon section looks like a tacked-on afterthought, and how that makes the side view of the car appear discontinuous and broken-up, especially when compared to the Legacy wagon. Also, Legacy wagons have higher rooflines than their sedan counterparts. This allows for good overall proportions as well as copious space inside for people and their stuff.

The result of all that extra effort and expense is the smooth, seamless beauties you see pictured here, the latest in a long line of fine looking wagons from Subaru.

Cheers,
-wdb
Old 06-08-2003, 09:21 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Maybe it's me.. I just can't help but look at it from the front and see a honda accord with a hood duct.. (seems more of a duct than a scoop)

But I'm sure the mechanics of the car will be awesome. Most likely a H6? Maybe a turbo H6 on the Sti version? Now that is something I can drool over..

Tim
Old 06-21-2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Twu Perfect
Since Saab and Subaru are all under the loving care of GM now...
Well I'd rather have GM caring for Subaru rather than Ford. Of course that's just me.

Tim
Old 06-25-2003, 10:07 PM

Not me, I think Ford has done a better job turning around the fortunes of Mazda, Jaguar and Volvo than GM has with Saab. Plus, GM doesn't really control Subaru, they just have a significant chunk of Fuji Heavy Industries stock. Which may or may not be a good thing, sharing parts and platforms will boost FHI's revenues. But, it will also water down a lot of the Subaru exclusivity, that many of us enjoy.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:11 AM

I'm actually surprised that Mazda was allowed by Ford to do a Rotary project. There were rumors buzzing around a couple of years ago that Ford didn't want any type of rotary project and was on the verge of cancelling the prototype RX-Evolv. There were even reports by certain magazines that Ford was scared that the Rotary could "displace" what they had in the Mustang. Of course the rumors went somewhere and the rotary is what you see today.

Fenix.. You forgot Toyota.

Tim

Quick Reply: Subaru new LEGACY