Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

Petter Solberg and Phil Mills won the Acropolis Rally

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Lightbulb Petter Solberg and Phil Mills won the Acropolis Rally

Petter Solberg and Phil Mills won the Acropolis Rally. After 22 stages they were 18,4 seconds ahead of Sebastien Loeb.

-It's fantastic, very, very good indeed! It's been a hard rally, and a tough fight, right from the start, but to get this result after the disappointment we had in Cyprus feels very good. You know it's hard work to keep adjusting the pace to keep position, but the team kept the split times coming in and everything worked perfectly today - there were no problems at all. The penalty didn't really affect me much, last night when I heard the decision I have to say I was a bit fed up, but when I woke up this morning I just laughed, it just seemed like a joke. I must say that the car is incredible, and the tyres, the mechanics, everyone in the team is working so well I can't thank them enough and it seems that for now anything is possible, says Petter Solberg.

Subaru driver Petter Solberg retained the overnight lead to claim his first ever victory on the Acropolis Rally of Greece today. The result means that Solberg is the only driver in the WRC to have scored points on each of the six rallies so far this season. Moving up to second place in the Drivers' Championship, Petter and co-driver Phil Mills are just five points behind the lead of the series. The win marked Subaru's 41st WRC win, the 40th for the Subaru Impreza and Subaru's fifth win on the Acropolis Rally of Greece.

David Lapworth, Subaru World Rally Team Principal:

It's a fantastic and very satisfying result for Petter, Pirelli and all of us in the team. He's controlled the situation all weekend, and even when a few obstacles got in the way he never faltered. Mikko too should be encouraged by his performance. Without the unfortunate accident yesterday, I think he could have finished in the top six and it's only a matter of time before he's looking for a podium result. As far as the championship is concerned things are looking good, and after our strong performances on the last few gravel events we are really looking forward to the next round in Turkey, says David Lapworth.

SOURCE: www.pettersolberg.com
Attached Thumbnails Petter Solberg and Phil Mills won the Acropolis Rally-530397.jpg  
Old 06-07-2004, 09:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Had a lead of 80+ seconds at one point. Lost brakes early in one stage (completed it using engine braking and the hand brake) and only lost about 20 seconds. Then hit up with a 30 second penalty.

And still won by almost 20 seconds!

Petter and Phil are stone cold pimps.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
Woohoo way to go Petter and Phill!
Old 06-11-2004, 10:44 AM

Car Info: 09 WRX Sedan };-)>
Thumbs up nice win

Thats good to hear! I havent seen this years races but I catch last years. I hope its another sucessful year. SUBIE SUBIE SUBIE!
Old 06-11-2004, 06:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Do any of you know if anyone has won more stages than Petter this season. How about that new haircut?
Attached Thumbnails Petter Solberg and Phil Mills won the Acropolis Rally-111111.jpg