Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

Legacy BE: Stiffen it up!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Legacy BE: Stiffen it up!

While Subaru Legacys are superb cars, the pure numbers of aftermarket parts and Legacy enthusiasts themselves in North America are very small. Only a handful of Legacy owners choose to modify their cars. And, as with any car parts, if there is no demand for it, fewer vendors carry the parts and generally know about them.

Earlier Legacys 90-94 (BC/BF) shared the platform with the GC/GF Impreza’s. As a matter of fact, the GC/GF Imprezas were built on 90-94 Legacy platform. I am sure you guys are familiar with the story about Subaru entering WRC events with the Legacy and it’s nearly stock form, it had proven to be very competitive. Colin McRae himself first piloted the BC Legacy Type RA to a number of podium finishes in the early 90’s. Then, as we all know, the Impreza was born as Colin and Subaru needed a lighter and stiffer car to be even more competitive and aim for the manufacturer and driver championship. Therefore, almost all performance parts made for a more popular GC/GF Imprezas can be used on 90-94 Legacys. Next generation Legacys 95-99 (BD/BG) was still very similar to the older BC/BF Legacy. Many of the same parts from BC/BF Legacys and GC/GF Imprezas can be installed on BD/BG Legacys. Then, in 2000 model year, Subaru introduced the totally redesigned new Legacys BE/BH. The chassis was new from the ground up. Completely different suspension layout, exhaust system and many other things prevented new Legacy owners from going ballistic with modifying their new rides with parts available for the previous generations of Legacys. While people in Japan and other countries get to zip around in twin-turbo B4's and Blitzens, us, North American Legacy enthusiasts have to resort to trying to cheery our cars up to bring them up to a higher level of performance.

So, after doing a bit of research, I decided to get some parts from Japan and try to fit them onto my Legacy BE. Suspension was the first thing I wanted to address. And, no other company offers more suspension parts for the Legacy than CUSCO. Plus, since I am a loyal CUSCO customer, this was not a difficult choice to make. I got front and rear ALC-OS strut bars, rear lower arm bar and front and rear sway bars. CUSCO also makes a front lower arm bar, but I knew for sure that it wouldn’t fit onto a non-turbo Legacy. ALC-OS strut bars are basically a standard Type OS bars (oval shape) wrapped in carbon.

Rear sway bar is about 120% thicker than stock (18mm) and so is the front one (21mm). I started the project by installing the rear lower arm bar.

Rear CUSCO Sway Bar vs. Stock Sway Bar

Front CUSCO Sway Bar vs. Stock Sway Bar

After 20 min of struggling to get it in, I installed a rear sway bar in 5 min. Front sway bar didn’t clear the header, so I couldn’t use it. I will save it for later and in case I do a motor swap (EJ20T or EJ20TT) I will be able to use it then. Then I installed front and rear sway bars and dropped the car down on the ground. The front bar bends nicely around the "imagenary" intercooler, or an airbox, in my case. The rear bar seats low to the floor, and does not take away any of the valuable trunk space. To my surprise, the rear lower arm bar was “hanging” too low. Not sure why, since the gap between the bar and the diff, was over 2”. That is totally unnecessary and it looks very bad when you stand behind the car. It almost touches the ground, but since it sits on the same line as the axels (and center of the rear wheels) it never will do that, unless you drive without tires. It looks so weird, that I am considering taking it off.

Front CUSCO ALC-OS Strut Bar

Rear CUSCO ALC-OS Strut Bar

Rear CUSCO Lower Arm Bar and Rear CUSCO Sway Bar

After making sure that everything was done correctly, I took the car for a test spin. Result: much better handling and dramatically reduced body roll. I wish that the front sway bar fit, since that would improve the handling even more. Oh well. So $845 (retail) later, I was very happy with my BE, more happy than I was before. Now that I already have rims and tires all the new CUSCO pieces, coilovers is the next obvious mod. I have chosen CUSCO ZERO-2 setup (of course) which should be here shortly. My goal of turning the already great Legacy into something even better is underway…
Old 02-22-2003, 08:15 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
I a have always wanted a high performance legacy, I LOVE the styling of them sooo sleeper! yet, sooo badass, if you throw in a turbo!
Old 02-23-2003, 01:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
Thumbs up

Very nice B4,
Can't wait to see the future evolution of this B4.

I see the Top Secret Supra and the ButtWhooper in the background, hehe
I'd put the EJ20 from your WRX in the B4. Well I know you are a busy man, another toy coming in soon
Old 02-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Admin v2.0

I got the taillights from Japan through go go go.

I got the sway bar from me.

I can get you one. $165 + s/h.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:54 AM

Car Info: I've had cars...BRZ next
Talking about sleeper, my friends 93 Legacy, with stock WRX wheels and tires and automatic (yes thats a WRX automatic) does 12.7 in the 1/4...60' times are terrible (2.5 sec) with trap speed at 105. This car weighs almost 3500lbs. The engine is stock
Old 02-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally posted by ravent
Talking about sleeper, my friends 93 Legacy, with stock WRX wheels and tires and automatic (yes thats a WRX automatic) does 12.7 in the 1/4...60' times are terrible (2.5 sec) with trap speed at 105. This car weighs almost 3500lbs. The engine is stock
I bet it's not as AUTOmatic as you make it sound Randy

-Gagan
Old 02-24-2003, 08:33 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
Will any of those fit the BH's? I know that the BE's and BH's have many similarities, but not necessarily one will work with the other. Just wanted to know about stuff for the Wagons.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:05 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Sig1518
I can't seem to find the site on the clear corner lenses. What exactly was the site.
if you mean his tail lenses, I imported them for Imprezer
Old 02-25-2003, 11:56 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
go go go,

Can you get the clear tail lenses for the BH? I am referring to the side lenses that are orange on the wagons.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Admin v2.0

They have all the parts available for the Wagon as well. You can get CUSCO or Vacanza (CUSCO's wagon brand). The Vacanza stuff is gold. Yum!

Sig, the front sway bar didn't fit. You still want it? It will only work on the cars with turbo x-member and up/downpipes.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:47 PM
VIP Member

I don't want to hijack this good thread so those of you interested in the JDM tail lights, PM me personally.
I'll see what I can do for you..

ImprezaRSdriver> i sent you PM a while ago.

Quick Reply: Legacy BE: Stiffen it up!