Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

subaru paint ****ING SUCKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 10:30 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
subaru paint ****ING SUCKS!!!

i've had my car since june, and granted it was used..as far as stone chips on the hood they were non-existant. but now my hood looks like someone sprinkled glitter all over it. its covered in white specs. i know the freeways in the bay area suck thats for sure but do u guys have any ways of making these things disappear besides a clear bra, which will not fix the ones already on my hood?

wax has also not done the trick...
Old 09-05-2005, 10:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
Get used to it, my white RS has black stone chips all over it
Old 09-06-2005, 02:15 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
All cars get chips up front. My paint rocks. No problems at all and still looks as good as the day I got it.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:00 AM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
yeah, subaru paint is very thin and chips very easily. If it bothers you, get it a clear bra!
Old 09-06-2005, 07:22 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Yeah, wear a bra ****!!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:11 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
I think pretty much all new cars kinda have the same problem. My buddy works in a body shop and he said since all new paints are made to be as "environmentally friendly" as possible, it really softened them up and made them very prone to chipping and scratching. You could drive a '72 Mustang or another older car for 30 years and it won't have as much chipping and such as a WRX you got last year. Sucks. Don't think there's anything we can do about it though.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Wtly
Old 09-06-2005, 10:22 AM

Car Info: Not a subie!
Same issue with my new Infiniti! Same complaints on the G5 forums.

Get Clear Bra, Invisigard, etc.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by SBwrx5
I think pretty much all new cars kinda have the same problem. My buddy works in a body shop and he said since all new paints are made to be as "environmentally friendly" as possible, it really softened them up and made them very prone to chipping and scratching. You could drive a '72 Mustang or another older car for 30 years and it won't have as much chipping and such as a WRX you got last year. Sucks. Don't think there's anything we can do about it though.
+1 its the lack of lead in the paint. my friend has a supra that he repainted with lead paint bought over in vegas (yes its still legal to buy leaded paint in nevada) and 3 years later with daily driving in traffic, rocks, stone chips, trips to vegas and the car looks perfect like the day it was painted. The lead also makes it harder for dings to show up. only one draw back, he told me it added weight to the car... but if thats not an issue... get lead paint!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:34 AM

a new paint job is not really in my budget right now so i guess i gotta live with it...
Old 09-06-2005, 11:49 AM

Car Info: civic
they are much more restrictive about the chemicals/lead in paint overall.

For example, in california, we're no longer able to sell/order oil based paint other than primers.

It's an "environmental" thing...
Old 09-06-2005, 12:36 PM

enviorment...enviorment...enviorment!!!

if the government is so ****ing worried about the enviorment how bout they concentrate more on getting some of the gigantic gas-hounding suvs off the road instead of oil and lead based car paint...
Old 09-06-2005, 12:47 PM

Car Info: GDA
Originally Posted by Turbo86
enviorment...enviorment...enviorment!!!

if the government is so ****ing worried about the enviorment how bout they concentrate more on getting some of the gigantic gas-hounding suvs off the road instead of oil and lead based car paint...
the same can be said about our dependence on the international petroleum/oil supply. George W., in his wisdom, decided that instead of depending on international supply, we should tap into our own wildlands to get a domestic supply...environmental issues aside, i don't know if we even have the oil supply to satiate our gas-hungry society. the big SUV's on the road is a part of the problem.

enough venting...Subaru paint is really thin. i was astonished by how easily it chips during freeway drives. get a clear bra...i've had mine installed for 3.5yrs now and the WRX still looks pretty good!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:45 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Yeah, wear a bra ****!!!!
and get one for your car too! :rotfl: j/p
Old 09-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by SBwrx5
this is exactly the problem. To be specific, right around Y2K the entire industry switched over to water-based automotive paint from solvent-based. This was due to the fact that solvent based paint was the number one cause of airborne polution from car factories, but the water-based are just not as strong as the solvent-based paint jobs you could have got a few years back. Everybodies having the same problem, you find the same complaints on the Audiworld and Bimmerfest forums. I have found nissan has had about the worst time with their new paint, you should have seen some of the early 03 350Zs we worked on, you could literaly dig you fingernail into the paint on the bumper and chip it off! In time manufacturers will refine the process and water-based paints will get stronger, but its just a fact of life that for the time being, factory paint jobs will not be as good as they have been in the past.

Quick Reply: subaru paint ****ING SUCKS!!!