Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Radar Detectors (mounting location)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 03:25 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan 5spd
Radar Detectors?

I just got my Passport 8500. Any suggestion on the best place to mount it in my WRX. People who use them alot, which position on the windshield seems to allow the detector to be most sensitive.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 06 A3
Ive got my 8500 mounted about 5" below and 4" to the right of the center of the rear view mirror. Just make sure you have it high enough to clear the headrests of your front seats, but not too high because the higher you are the less accurate the laser detection gets since the cops are aiming at your license plate.

_justin
Old 01-20-2004, 03:32 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
i mount my v1 right above the rear view mirror and then have it hard wired into the auto dimming mirror/compass plug that is right there

its not noticable to others while driving and it has a clear view to the front and the rear

and the whole laser thing that driftin s14 said, if you pick up laser, you are already hit, there is no warning, and laser is rarely used so i wouldn't worry about that too much
Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan 5spd
My roomate did something similar with a V1 in his truck. ran the wire across the top of the windshield then down under the A-pillar and to his fuse box. The wiring is completely invisible. I plan on having him help me do this to the WRX at some point.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Originally posted by wrx ish
i mount my v1 right above the rear view mirror and then have it hard wired into the auto dimming mirror/compass plug that is right there

its not noticable to others while driving and it has a clear view to the front and the rear

and the whole laser thing that driftin s14 said, if you pick up laser, you are already hit, there is no warning, and laser is rarely used so i wouldn't worry about that too much
I did the same thing but mounted mine right onto the base for the useless center visor. Looks almost OEM.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
Originally posted by wrxwagon2b
WRX ish

You said yo hard wired it to the Compass in the rear view mirror right? I dont have that option on the car but is the wiring still there? or do you already have the compass on ur car
Check this link out, shows ya how to do the install:

http://mikeegan.stormpages.com/v1.html

Jason
Old 01-21-2004, 09:05 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally posted by wrxwagon2b
WRX ish

You said yo hard wired it to the Compass in the rear view mirror right? I dont have that option on the car but is the wiring still there? or do you already have the compass on ur car
i don't have it either but the plug for it is still there. and using that saves the time of running it along the window then down the a-pillar

Originally posted by Wrxneffect
Check this link out, shows ya how to do the install:

http://mikeegan.stormpages.com/v1.html

Jason
nice find, i still mounted mine with the suction cups to the window. i looked at using the visor clip, but i didn't really like the way it sit with it.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:55 AM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
Mounted my V1 above mirror too.

Nick
Old 01-21-2004, 01:12 PM

I put my V1 above the mirror using the suction cups. I used the V1 hardwire kit and got power off the unused yellow wire for the autodimming mirror/compass gizmo. Then just pull the wire out the front of the headliner and you have a real clean hardwire.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
Originally posted by huck
I did the same thing but mounted mine right onto the base for the useless center visor. Looks almost OEM.
me too!

i've walked around the car a few times and unless the officer is looking really hard at your car he won't notice it at all.

ken
Old 01-21-2004, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
Originally posted by ride5000
me too!

i've walked around the car a few times and unless the officer is looking really hard at your car he won't notice it at all.

ken
I wouldn't be worried about having the officer notice my radar dector here in California, they are legal, jammers on the other hand are not allowed. Need to find a way to get away with having a radar jammer on my car, now that would be sweet!

Jason
Old 01-21-2004, 07:20 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
this is how i did mine, i hard wired it in to the back of my head unit, in the dash used a fuse and all that. i ran the wire through the a pillar. it works well here cause i can see it during the day, and if the stereo is loud and i can not hear i can see the thing flashing.
Attached Thumbnails Radar Detectors (mounting location)?-dscf0023.jpg  
Old 01-22-2004, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Originally posted by huck
Originally posted by ride5000
me too!

ken
I'd just like to throw in anothe ME TOO, totally un-noticeable unless you are looking for it, and hardwiring into the compass harness is so easy.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:46 PM

Car Info: black 2003 WRX
i did something diffrent. mine is right infront of the clock and i ran the wires through the clock where you cannot notice the wires. its great!

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors (mounting location)?