Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Radar Detector Pic

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 09:59 AM

Car Info: '03 Black Sedan
Radar Detector Pic

Just wanted to post a photo of my Valentine 1 that I just installed...you can hard wire your detector into the map lights (there's actually an empty plug up there for the automatic dimming mirror even if you don't have that option). The yellow wire with the red stripe is switched 12v power (i.e. only on when the key is on) and you can ground to the black wire or to one of the screws holding the map lights in (pop out the clear plastic cover and inside are 2 screws holding the map lights in)...If you take off the center visor and remove the clip holding up the headliner it makes running the wire to the detector easier...that way no wires running in plain sight to your detector.

I installed the V1 with the visor clip adaptor and it is actually over the headliner...sits pretty securely and can still remove easily for use in the other car...
Attached Thumbnails Radar Detector Pic-detect2.jpg  
Old 08-15-2003, 11:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Looks good-
This is how I mounted mine. I have the auto-dimming mirror and with the detector mounted as shown it just sits on the top of the mirror. I have velcro on the bottom of the V1 (the fuzzy part) so it doesn't rattle against the mirror, I suppose I could attach the grippy side to the mirror to hold it in place but I never bothered.
I removed the center visor completely, and mounted the V1 visor bracket directly to the roof using an existing push-pin that holds the headliner in place. All I had to do for this was drill a hole in the clip part of the bracket (not easy actually, that spring steel is hard to drill through). The detector attaches and detaches from the mount in seconds, it's very convenient.
In the pic that exposed blue area is very obvious, but I don't even notice it anymore. If it bothered me I would find something to cover it up.
Attached Thumbnails Radar Detector Pic-v1b.jpg  
Old 08-15-2003, 11:25 AM

That's a pretty slick use of the headliner clip to stabilize the V1 bracket up there...
Old 08-15-2003, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Works great, it's been up there for over 1-1/2 years and hasn't moved or loosened. Those pushpin things are very strong, and they're pretty much one-way, very easy to push in but near impossible to get out. It didn't come out easily when I removed it and now it's in there to stay until I decide to try taking the mount off for some reason.
Oh yes, it helped that I had a spare visor bracket to play with (from having traded my V1 in on a new one) so in case I ruined it I still had a good one to use.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:11 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
wow. thanks. this thread is great. i'm going to get a V1 once i get back to the states... i needed to see how it looks.. not bad.
thanks a lot.

quick question... does it work as well as people say it does? the V1.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:47 PM

In the 2 weeks I've had it I would have to say it's even better than I thought...taking a drive this weekend it alerted me to 3 speed traps at least 1/4 mile before them...of course the police weren't being stingy with their radar but I had plenty of time to slow down...I can see how thins thing will pay for itself...
Old 08-24-2003, 09:49 PM

hm...

rhk.. in one of the pics... the mirror is one of those "hightech" ones... haha. why are they different?
2nd.. is that guage on the dash OEM? thanks.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by escaflowne
the mirror is one of those "hightech" ones... haha. why are they different?
2nd.. is that guage on the dash OEM? thanks.
1. The 2nd pic with the self-dimming light is Mulder's V1 install...my car in the first pic just has the regular rear-view mirror...also as you can see he removed the center visor to install his detector whereas I just clipped mine over the headliner and left the center visor intact.

2. The gauge pod housing there is the OEM housing but not the OEM gauges...I have two 45 mm Omori gauges and the factory clock inbetween with a faceplate I made. If you search for 'gauge pod pics' there's a thread with different gauge pod installs...

Hope that helps!
Old 08-25-2003, 06:50 AM
VIP Member

Yes that is the Subaru-option auto-dimming mirror/compass. With the V1 installed in that position it fits perfectly in the space above the mirror.
The mirror is made by Donnelly and they also have a version with both compass and outside temp. That one isn't available through Subaru but you can buy and install it yourself using the existing wiring (in the WRX anyway) that is there to make the mirror a plug-in option.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:18 PM

yeh. very helpful. thanks! ordering my V1 once i get back.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
RHK 118 :
How is your V1 holding up, I just bought one and if you could PM me or email some slightly detailed install instructions that would be great! Thanks in Advance

WRX Rush
Old 09-02-2003, 07:12 AM

How I installed it...

I used the sun-visor clip adaptor to hold up my V1...it's hard wired into the map lights...in the map lights there is a wiring harness that's empty if you don't have an auto-dimming mirror...the yellow wire with the red stripe is switched 12 v power (goes on when the key is on...)....the ground can be either one of the screws that holds up the map lights or you can hard wire into the black wire from the same wiring harness...

To take the map lights off you remove the clear plastic cover with a flat-head screwdriver (protect with a cloth) at the 2 slots you can see...once that pops off if you look in there are 2 philips screws holding them on - take them out and the map lights will fall out...yo can disconnect them from their wiring hanress to get them out of the way...up top you'll see the other wiring harness for the mirror...that's your target...

Then remove the center visor by unscrewing the 1 screw holding it up...you need to do this to mobilize the headliner to run the power wire to the V1...there's also a plastic clip holding up the headliner under the center visor...so remove that as well (I used needle nose pliers)...once removed you can pull down the headliner just enough to run the power wire out to the V1....I also used this to pull the headliner down enough to put the hanger up for the V1 - simply clip over the headliner over the right side of where the visor should be....doesn't have to be in exact position as you can still move it once everything is back in place...

So once all the wiring is done (there's PLENTY of space for all the wires up next to the maplights)...put the maplights back together (make sure you've adjusted the wire for the V1 coming out of the headliner to the desired length first! ), and reinstall the center visor....I then put a small block inbetween the center visor and the V1 adaptor to level it (that's the black thing you see between my V1 and center visor...I have since replaced it with a large silicone 'foot' for the bottom of furniture...)...

The cool thing about this install is I still have the suction cup hanger and cigarette-lighter adapter for use in my other cars when I drive them, and I can just leave the V1 on all the time in the WRX as it comes on and off with starting the car...
Old 10-02-2003, 04:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
RHK 118: I finally got around to installing my Valentine 1 and everything you said worked perfect ! You are high on the thank you of the day list. Thanks so much for all your detailed instructions, My V-1 saved me the first day on the job ! Thanks again.

WRX Rush
Old 10-03-2003, 03:48 PM

Wink

No Problem! Speed often and responsibly!
Old 10-03-2003, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Here are some pics of the empty harness when you don't have an autodimming mirror:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...&threadid=2104

If you have the mirror my guess is you can still tap into the line for power.

That's for the Forester but it's mostly the same for the Impreza and Legacy too. I hid my V1 under the headrest. I like it better that no one can see it when it's working.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...&threadid=2121