Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Mystery green wire under steering column

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Mystery green wire under steering column

Hi folks....just wondering if anyone can identify this green wire under the steering column. I was looking for the green test connectors thinking if they were still connected, this might be why I only have 6-8 psi boost. The test connectors were disconnected and to the left of the steering column (im pretty sure cuz there were 2 of them). What i did find was the lone green wire. Its wierd becasue in the slots is a piece of copper wire from one slot to the other...like a resistor mod. When I plucked out the piece of wire, the car wouldnt start. All dash warning lights light up when I turned the key, but thats it. I put the wire back in the slots and whallah, car started right back up. sorry...its hard to see the lil copper wire cuz of the flash on the camera...but its there.
Attached Thumbnails Mystery green wire under steering column-imag0205.jpg   Mystery green wire under steering column-imag0203.jpg  
Old 12-29-2010, 03:11 AM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
I think that's the wire you use for the Cobb AP, it's used to plug into something and read codes.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
The cobb AP and my tactrix cable (as well as any other tuning device I've heard of) plugs into the OBDII port on the bottom of the dash just below the steering wheel. Once you look at the connector, you can't miss it.

I thought this was where you have to jump the connectors to flash the ECU. However, if that were true then I'm not sure that your car would start only with the leads connected. Seems like it should only start with them NOT connected...

Sorry it's been a few months since I've done this and its kinda early in the morning. However, I think this may be part of the issue you are having. Maybe you should take your car in to one of the local subie shops? I bet they could figure it out pretty quick and save you a lot of headache and wasted money on the wrong parts.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 AM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Wait for one of the pro tuners to chime in, but I believe that if the wires were connected, the car would not start. When I connect mine to flash a base map, all the relays under the hood start a check cycle and the fans go through all of their speed stages. You'd think something was wrong if you didn't know the better.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 AM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
If you connect the green tabs you'd put your car in test mode. The check engine light will flash, your fans will turn off and on, you will hear pumps turning on and off.

It's not bad, that's just a step to flashing a new map.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:22 PM

Yes, but I see 2 green wires off to the left, this one is more in the center. And why does it have this flimsy piece of copper wire in both slots ? I'll try and take another pic in the sun not using the camera flash.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 2016 STI
That is your clutch safty switch. It is the switch when the clutch is depressed all the way down. To check and see for sure, make sure your car is in nuetral and dont press in the clutch and see if it starts.

The picture is not totaly clear but if you look at the top of the clutch pedal you should see two switches. It looks like the top one is not plugged in, hence that is this green wire. Alot of people do this because that darn switch always craps out. I've had 3 subys and every one of them did it after some time. Senario: Press in clutch and car wont start. Press clutch all the way down a couple of times and bam, fires right up. People do this instead of tryin to replace the top switch which is a PITA to get to.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:11 AM

Car Info: 2009 WRB WRX Sedan
Are you the original owner? was there a aftermarket alarm installed on the car before? like Chris said it might be a clutch bypass type thing. And if you had a alarm with a Remote Start and removed that might be it.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:04 AM

Im not the original owner...I wish I was, then I'd know what the hell is going on with the car. There is a Clifford alarm on the car, yes. No remote start though. The jackass who worked on the car last lost my remote, maybe this was part of his fix. iono. Thanks 4 the replies !!