Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

HowTo 2005 STI Red HVAC Controls

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:09 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

So with the 05's Radio buttons it's simply taking the radio OUT and putting bulb condoms on it like with the 02-04's?

Is this correct?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 12-15-2005, 06:18 PM

Arrow

I have my HVAC lights completly apart... this is a pain in the ***... It would be a lot easier if the buttons didn't have a green translucent plastic backing... now my red leds are not bright at all....

Yuck!

-Nigel
Old 01-01-2006, 03:35 AM

Car Info: 05 STI
Hi all, I follow the instructions and now I'm stuck at the *****. Can't seem to remove any of the three ***** to reveal the LEDs. I tried to use a little force to lift up the ***** but still stuck. Must I use more force??? Will the plastic crack?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:25 PM

I manage to pull out the *****. I realise that the backing of the ***** is covered with green plastic. Is there a way to remove this plastic???
The original LED is white n quite bright, so i was thinking if i could just remove this green plastic and replace it with a red tint film. This way, I need not change or add LEDs then.
Anyone who has any idea what i'm talking about pls help me....
Old 01-02-2006, 01:16 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by onara77
I manage to pull out the *****. I realise that the backing of the ***** is covered with green plastic. Is there a way to remove this plastic???
The original LED is white n quite bright, so i was thinking if i could just remove this green plastic and replace it with a red tint film. This way, I need not change or add LEDs then.
Anyone who has any idea what i'm talking about pls help me....

Nope, that green is on there and part of the top of the push button...

Paint the white leds red and add seperate leds to add more light.

Here are two pics of what I did.

red colored flush mount leds..

two extra leds that I cut the tops off to difuse the light more and sanded them down as well.

-Nigel
Old 01-02-2006, 02:00 AM

Thanks...so there's really no way to remove the green plastic...
Do you have a pic to show clearly how to connect the wires to the main power supply? Tried to follow the instructions, but there are simply too many pins.
And also, what is the voltage and MCD of your LEDs? Did you add any resistors? Anyway your LEDs looks v neat. Did you solder it onto the board?

I got a real phobia of soldering now, cos i blew my LEDs of my driver's power window. I manage to change the LEDs to red and it was working fine until i try to do something extra. Now my circuit board on driver's side is not working properly...driver's power window cannot go down and no lights. Need to look for a replacement.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:35 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by onara77
Thanks...so there's really no way to remove the green plastic...
Do you have a pic to show clearly how to connect the wires to the main power supply? Tried to follow the instructions, but there are simply too many pins.
And also, what is the voltage and MCD of your LEDs? Did you add any resistors? Anyway your LEDs looks v neat. Did you solder it onto the board?

I got a real phobia of soldering now, cos i blew my LEDs of my driver's power window. I manage to change the LEDs to red and it was working fine until i try to do something extra. Now my circuit board on driver's side is not working properly...driver's power window cannot go down and no lights. Need to look for a replacement.

Nopers, no way at all to remove the green, I even tried removing some plastic with my dremel to find that if I keep doing it I would have gone completly through the damn push button...lol

Easiest thing is the first two pins on the FAR LEFT side... power is the bottom pin, and right above it is it's ground..... by soldering to the above ground pin will enable you to "dim" if you chose so..

The first LEDS I used were from my computer modding supplies... they were 15,000mcds... very freaking bright, problem is I forgot their volatage so I guessatmated and used a resistor that made them too dim... Most LEDs are around 2v...

I ended up getting different LEDs but honestly do not know the mcds because they already had the resitor soldered inline to them...

Use this tool.. I use it EVERY time I need to solder in leds for computer modding or leds in general:

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Makes it SUPER easy to figure out the correct resistance to use so that the LEDs do not burn out prematurely!

I soldered them onto the power and ground points... looking back at it I would have ran all the wires to the back of the unit rather than the front for cleanliness of the unit... but that's if I do another one... this was a two day affair for me because I ran into many problems... but now looking back at it I could do mine again much quicker!

Hope I helped... feel free to ask anymore questions if you get stuck along the way... :-)

-Nigel
Old 01-10-2006, 04:10 AM

Thanks Nigel for your help. Finally managed to get the job done. In the process, I burnt one fuse and one resistor.
I am still wondering how did you guys manage to snake the wires inside the ****? Your wires must be freaking thin. What I did was I melted two holes at the bottom of the black plastic with my solder to snake the wires in.
It was really a hassle for me........but at the end of the day when I look at my red interior, there's something to smile about.
The only switch that is not as bright red as the others is the levelling switch for headlights. Anyone manage to do that?
Old 01-10-2006, 02:28 PM

Arrow Just another reason for me to ***** out one of my pictures...lol

I never thought about putting holes in the plastic... I actually might change and do that! Right now my ***** angle down about 2 degress and I had to dremel the bottoms of the rings out slightly so that they didn't rub... can't really tell but the main thing is that they are RED :-)

-Nigel
Old 01-11-2006, 06:40 AM

You must be really careful if you want to put holes in the plastic. I made two small holes right at the bottom, touching the PCB. I was actually quite frustrated trying to snake the wires in by prying the plastic. I simply cannot do it. Thus I took a risk n try to melt the plastic with my solder iron. To my surprise, it melted easily. Then i use a sharp pincer to make the hole bigger.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 05 CGM STI
I am going to do this mod in the next week or so as I got the LEDs in the mail yesterday but I wanted to clear up a few things. I got 3500 mcd leds that are 3mm instead of 5mm but have a 45 degree viewing angle so that should be wide enough... or I can lop the heads off for more diffusion. Anyway I was going to use a very small drill bit and drill holes in the black plastic near the bottom to thread the wires in. My questions are similiar to the above poster in that I will use the bottom leftmost pin for power but the ground that everyone is using is the one right above it? (instead of the one on the top row over the right like in Ardinos pic). If I put two 3500 mcd lights in there but don't paint the stock LEDs do you think I will be OK as they seem to be white anyway? I will be sure to post detailed pics up here when I finish for people doing this in the future.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:32 AM

new idea

Can we wire the LEDs with the cigarette bulb instead of soldering any wires in the green chip?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:57 PM

Car Info: 03 RS- aspen white, 5 speed
sure you could but then you would be

a: running a crap load of wire instead of just using the wiring that is already there

b: forfeiting the dimming switch function
Old 02-05-2006, 12:08 AM

dimming switch

the dimming switch does not work on the HVAC it only work on the clock, the temp and the trip KM.

but do you think that this wire will be more strong the will allow for better LEDs without loosing its brightness
Old 02-05-2006, 01:49 AM

Car Info: 2006 STi
how close in color is the red of the hvac in comparison to sti speedo cluster? How much does the green plastic of the **** cap distort the red led's light?

Quick Reply: HowTo 2005 STI Red HVAC Controls