Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

hood scoop gains?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 04:30 PM

hood scoop gains?

ok i kno that on a wrx sedan, the stock hood scoop doesnt get much air 0ver 80 mph or so, is that correct? so if i get a sti hood scoop, that means il be able to get better cooling in higher speeds right?, i always notice my engine temp getting a lil hotter if i am constantly over 90 or so, is it because of the stock hood scoop being too small to get the air into the intercooler, and will an sti hood scoop fix this problem , and help my car get better top end?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:25 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX Sedan
dont confuse the intercooler with the radiator. the hoodscoop only serves to provide the IC with fresh cool air. the radiator has nothing to do with the intercooler, and only serves as a heat exchanger for the engine's cooling system.

if you slowed down a little bit your car would run cooler too :P
Old 10-06-2005, 10:23 PM

im pretty sure the radiator will be fine but i was just worried that due to the shape of the front bumper and all that that in high speeds, the scoop is too small for the air to get into it, like if ur going fast enuf, the air will be in such an angle that the hood scoop will not get any of it, so i was thinking a bigger hood scoop will help air get into the intercooler. iono that was just my theory as to why engine temp gets a lil warm at high speeds for a semi long period of time
Old 10-06-2005, 10:37 PM

comps acting up dont mind this post
Old 10-07-2005, 10:50 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Like jwrx said, the scoop and intercooler don't have much to do with the engine temp you read on the instrument cluster. That's the radiator and cooling system's job. The scoop and intercooler just cool down the air being pumped by the turbo, and I'm pretty sure even if you get the biggest scoop in the world it wouldn't really affect your engine temps at 90+ mph...at least not enough to see a change on the temp guage.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:23 AM

oh gotcha, i get it now that a scoop wont help much wit the engine temp but will it get the turbo to work more efficient over speeds of 80 mph since the stock scoop is not enuf to get air into the intercooler at high speeds
Old 10-08-2005, 12:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
If you are looking for lower engine temps, go with a thermostat, a radiator shroud, new hoses and water wetter. Those combined will make for some lower engine temps. You could be a real savage and get an engine oil cooler as well.

Rush