Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Disabling DRL's - (Daytime Running Lights)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 03:50 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Lightbulb Disabling DRL's - (Daytime Running Lights)

I took a pic and did a page because I get the question a lot on how to disable them. I was wondering if others would confirm that there is something similar on the Impreza and maybe even the Legacy. This link is for my Forester but I have a feeling it's the same on other scoobies:

Click Me

Let me know if you have that box where it is and the year and model so I can update that page.

Thanks

Peaty
Old 01-03-2004, 04:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
That's the dropping resistor module, it's similar on the 02 and probably on most others.
You should note that for those with stock headlights who plan to keep them that way, unplugging this resistor will suffice to disable the DRLs. However for those installing aftermarket headlights with different grounding paths, particularly HIDs, the resistor is effectively bypassed and will do nothing. In those cases disconnection of the main DRL control module inside the vehicle is required.
In the '02-03's, the DRL control module is a large rectangular unit (larger than a standard relay) with a 10-pin connector and is located between the glovebox and the passenger side kick panel. It can be accessed either by removing the glovebox, or by lying down on the passenger side floor looking up. You can see the connector with the glovebox in place and reach in there and disconnect it.
I believe the 04's are the same setup but not positive, perhaps someone with an '04 who has done this will comment. I don't think this applies to the STi because of the HIDs, no DRLs that I know of.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:29 PM

That's some good info, I'll add it to the site if you don't mind w/ a pic of the module under the dash I have.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:04 PM
VIP Member

Don't mind at all, this gets asked/discussed very often so it would be good to have a link to a comprehensive explanation. If I had a dollar for every time I've replied to a thread on this subject, well you know
Old 01-03-2004, 05:07 PM

Yes I know I don't even want to do it myself but as you say the subject comes up often.

Thanks I added your comments (with credit) and put a pic of the module too that is behind the glovebox, to that link.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:28 PM
VIP Member

That's a pic of the module on the Forester? On the Impreza it looks similar but the location is a bit different, at least on the earlier ones. You might want to add the orietation of your pic as the points of reference may not be obvious to anyone who hasn't been under there.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:39 PM

That set of pics is in the Forester section only so far, I have a link there to how to remove the glovebox so if anyone clicks on that they will have more pics to see too along with a wider shot.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:49 PM
VIP Member

'K, my experience is with Imprezas but it's all the same basically, although I doubt that too many Forester owners modify their headlights compared to the # of Impreza owners who do.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:17 PM

I agree, however I don't have an Impreza to take pics of, only a Forester and an Outback. That's kind of why I was asking if it was the same. Most things between the Forester and Impreza are.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:37 AM
VIP Member

Um, that doesn't look like the DRL module-
It's a large rectangular unit with a white or yellowish-white 10-pin connector. To see it you have to lay down on the passenger side floor looking up between the kick panel and glovebox.
The brown connector is the main relay. Have you tried to start your car since you unplugged this? I suggest you do.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:55 PM
VIP Member

No, it's higher up which is why you have to lie on your back looking up to see and get to it. It's the only 10-pin connector in there. Once you see it just reach up and release the tab, and unplug it.
Remember if the handbrake is up the DRLs will be off.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:05 PM

Car Info: 02 RS
here it is
from another thread that i posted pictures

Quick Reply: Disabling DRL's - (Daytime Running Lights)