Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

cup brush for sanding rims down?

Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
cup brush for sanding rims down?

Hey guys I was wondering if I am able to use those 80 grit cup brush that you put in your drill to sand down my rims? I recently bought a set of dpt's and im stripping the paint. I used semi-paste paint stripper where you apply a good thick coat on the rims and leave it on for 15 minutes and it basically melts/softens/strips the paint off the wheel. While its good at taking paint off it also took off the orginal clear coat and paint.

I figured I have no choice but to sand it down to bare metal then primer, thin coats of paint then clear coat it (yes yes, i could get it sand blasted, powdercoated, but theres a reason why im in this predicament...yes on a budget!) anywho, do you guys know if those cup brushes will work? I saw some at harbor freight for $2.99 a brush. Im thinking of buying a pair and tackling my rims with it...as much as I love cars I dont want to see myself sanding 4 rims with 80 grit sand paper to bare metal =/

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 AM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon, 06 LGT Wagon
Send it to sandblasting, 80 grit is going to shave off more metal than you really need. Don't make more damage than you really want.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Originally Posted by SUMBARU
Send it to sandblasting, 80 grit is going to shave off more metal than you really need. Don't make more damage than you really want.
Welp! looks like what I thought was bare metal was only what was under the teal paint it was the factory color of the rims, whew their primer (i think thats what it was) is super hard to take off. I found that Aircraft Remover by Klean Strip is way stronger than JASCO's semi-paste paint stripper.