Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Anyone have HID's in OEM Housing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 10:57 AM

Anyone have HID's in OEM Housing

Just wondering if anyone has installed an HID Kit in an 03 WRX OEM housing...I would like to get projectors but thats just too much $$ right now, so i was wonderin if anyone has done HID on non-projector housings...If so, pics would be nice...TIA

-Adam
Old 11-20-2004, 12:55 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i have seen it. the light was dispursed too much look into getting the retro fit kit
Old 11-20-2004, 04:55 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
I'd pick up a set of HID headlights instead. I have an H1 HID setup in mine and it's pretty bad, but I'm finicky. I had E46 projectors retrofitted into my last car and loved them. I've been poking around on http://www.jdmpartstx.com/ waiting for some V8 sti lights for mine(really easy to convert to LHD) but I see they have 2 pairs of V7 lights coming on the next shipment, it's worth the extra money to do it right.

I went through 4 evolutions on my accord before I was happy with the lighting. I had aftermarket reflector housings(with the blue ion coating) and the beam pattern was horrid in those. next I put my stock housings back on and the beam pattern was ok but I didn't like the stock housings(the beam pattern with 9006 bulbs in the accord was far better than the beam pattern in the rex using H1 HID bulbs). Then I went to aftermarket H1 projector housings which were OK, but they had a few hot spots I didn't care for(I'm using those bulbs in the rex right now), finally I got sick of it and bought the E46 projectors and spent a weekend retrofitting them in my projector housings and they rocked.

Here's Rebased 6000k H1 HID in the rex(white balance is off a hair they are a bit more blue) For some reason the drivers side is worse than the passengers side. I changed the bulbs to the other side and I get the same effect still on the drivers side.

Here's rebased 9006 HID in my accord, not bad but not great(the bottom lights are H11 fogs with "hyper white " bulbs in)

Here's my final result in the accord with E46 projectors

and the housings looked so much better than stock

hmm it seems my webserver is being a turd, the pics should show in a few

Last edited by illusion; 11-20-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:10 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
i have HID's in mine too.... its nice.... u have to aim it REALLY low to not blind anyone. but its still soooo much better than stock..... if you wanna see wat HID's look like, check out www.cardomain.com/id/nycxwonton. the set i bought are mMcCulluchs... its about 320 for 5300k HID's. nice investment.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
hokusai has'em. Try PM'ing him. Shouldn't this be in the Dress Up section?
Old 11-20-2004, 11:54 PM

thnx for the info everyone, my bad if i posted in the wrong section mods can move it if they want, illusion ur in san jose...still have the HIDs on ur wrx? im in evergreen, think i can come check it out sometime?

-Adam
Old 11-22-2004, 09:18 AM

Just give me a PM and we can meet up somewhere so you can take a look at them. They are bright, but they aren't fantastic.

Good news is my V8 STI housings should be here soon, now I have to hunt down a leveling switch and harness.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
PM ImpalaSSAutoX

He has a really cool setup with stock headlights but blindingly bright HIDs. That is if you need more help.

Rush
Old 11-25-2004, 03:28 AM

Car Info: civic
i've seen hid's in stock housings. THey are bright! but the problem is, it's really blinding for other drivers, well that's if you care.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
I have HID's in an 03... sucks. Too much glare.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:49 PM

would hids in 04 headlights look clear?
Old 12-11-2004, 05:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
HIDs in the 04 reflectors are just as bad. Many have put them in only to take them out and buy a set of the STi HID lights.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
I have HIDs in my 04 and they are perfectly fine.
Did numerous tests of my friends driving towards me on the other side of the road to see if any glare or anything and he said, just like normal HIDs and doesnt blind oncoming traffic.

When I installed mine, I had to play around a bit to make sure the bulbs were fit properly since the pin is the main thing holding the bulb in.

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  e10062004.jpg
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  b.jpg
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  d.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  32.1 KB
Old 12-13-2004, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by AWDrifter21
I have HIDs in my 04 and they are perfectly fine.
Did numerous tests of my friends driving towards me on the other side of the road to see if any glare or anything and he said, just like normal HIDs and doesnt blind oncoming traffic.

When I installed mine, I had to play around a bit to make sure the bulbs were fit properly since the pin is the main thing holding the bulb in.

Everything above the cutoff is glare. If you are lighting street signs up from 3 blocks away, that's glare. I have the same beam pattern and it's unacceptable. Just because your friend can tolerate it, doesn't mean it's good. Note the last picture from my last post, that's what HID should look like, 0 light above the cutoff.

Originally Posted by Mulder
HIDs in the 04 reflectors are just as bad. Many have put them in only to take them out and buy a set of the STi HID lights.
STi lights are in the garage, just waiting on my leveling switch, thankfully the JDM lights are MUCH happier than the USDM for the peanut style (04-05) and they have a flat cutoff opposed to the stepped(like the bugeye projectors did), the also use D2S instead of D2R.

Quick Reply: Anyone have HID's in OEM Housing