Hawaii Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

LF: Flywheel for a '06 WRX ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX Ltd
LF: Flywheel for a '06 WRX ASAP

Had the guys over at Leaf Racing install my clutch for me and they told me my OEM flywheel was pretty messed up, too much to resurface so looking for a flywheel for a '06 WRX ASAP as it's my DD. OEM would be great but I'm also interested in a lightweight, possibly. Lemme know!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:10 AM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
??? how is your flywheel too messed up to resurface?

I have seen some ****...but never seen that.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:35 AM

Car Info: 07 Sti
How many times has it been resurfaced before? The only way you would need a new flywheel is if there was some damage to the mounting points or teeth, or if your triple plate clutch exploded and lodged itself in the flywheel or something stupid.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:42 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
"Granny shifting not triple plate clutching like you should"

Srry thats the first thing that came to mind after reading Krangs post
Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 PM

Yeah sounded crazy to me too. Hopefully I'll have time to drop by there on Monday and check it out. I'll post pics if it's pretty awesome/bad
Old 11-14-2011, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by lostedwolf
Yeah sounded crazy to me too. Hopefully I'll have time to drop by there on Monday and check it out. I'll post pics if it's pretty awesome/bad
Please do tell.... let me guess, your car is nearly stock other than suspension and a few bolt-ons, it has about 60k on it, the stock clutch was a little worn but still drivable. You could get by with just a new clutch disc for $90 and a $250 install, but someone is trying to shaft you just because you happen to be in the military and they think you have the money????

Please, do post pics and reasoning when you see the pressure plate.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 PM

Well, here's the fun semi-conclusion to this: The surface of the flywheel had a few fairly deep striations. The tech said that "If they resurfaced it there'd basically be very little flywheel left (unfortunately I didn't snap pics when I went over that day). But picked up a way-too-expensive OEM flywheel from Subaru Dealership because it's my DD and I needed it to be done. Overall, the clutch had also been fairly burnt--the holes in the clutch had tons of the clutch material packed in them. Either way, got the flywheel and the Exedy Stage 1 clutch put in and picked it up last Thursday. They test drove it for about 10 miles and it worked out. Bad story kick in: I drive it 20 miles back to Kaneohe fairly slowly as they were warning me to go easy and no boosting until at least 500 miles. But I drive about 20 miles, nearly to my destination, come down a street doing about 25 mph in 3rd gear, rpms running around 1800 or so. Coming up to a stop sign, I shift into neutral, and start breaking. As I shift out I hear a big rattling and then it sounded like something big dropped. Transmission locks up entirely. I can shift in and out of gears but nothing from the engine goes to the wheels. So I then spend the evening towing it back to the shop, where it lies now.

They happened to have a tranny guy in the corner next to them so they asked him to look at it. Ultimately it sounds like the gears weren't in good condition either. The guys advised that I need to research around for a new (read: used) tranny to replace it--they'll do all the labor free.

Lesson learned: Really get the car checked out before buying it used at 23k to have it blow at 30k. And test drive it more (I only noticed the clutch starting to slip a little while down the road after purchasing it). I haven't really driven it hard, don't ride the clutch, etc.

So, anyone know any contacts for a used 2006 wrx tranny? I'm starting to look around; might have to find one on mainland and have em ship it... any suggestions?

Last edited by lostedwolf; 11-22-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
sounds to me like a shoddy clutch job. if the gears were blown you'd likely be able to get power to the wheels in the gear that wasn't smashed, unlikely that all your gears are trashed. i've seen guys blow their trans at the track from a 7k clutch dump and they could still drive in 2nd or reverse. i'd take it to another shop and then bill them for the repair. if your clutch had holes left for material to gather in then it couldn't have been that worn down. sounds a little sketchy to me but gears don't just break like that doing what you were doing on a car with only 30k. GL
Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 AM

If the transmission guy that they are talking about is Jeff that works out of casey's on Pu'uhale (the corner of the block), I would let him work on it. If it isn't him...find someone else to take it to.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Also. I dont think you need a transmission. It sounds like an axle popped out, or you dropped a differential cross-pin.

If you need a qualified technician to work on your car, give me a call.

861 2328