Hawaii Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

1998 GC8 w EJ20T swap. $6000 ovno

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 AM

Car Info: None.
1998 GC8 w EJ20T swap. $6000 ovno

For sale is a 1998 Subaru Impreza 4 door sedan with a 2002 WRX engine / drivetrain / brakes swapped into it.

Here is a link to the build thread:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/ongoing-projects-31/my-new-project-many-pictures-2800-baud-users-beware-148459/

MANY pictures and words there. Here's the rundown:

Red 98 4-door. 107,xxx miles on the body. Body is decent. Some parking lot dings on driver's side door (those are the biggest ones), scratches here there everywhere. Black RS 2.5 hood. OEM replacement driver's side fender (unpainted). Roof has light oxidization and rear spoiler is oxidized pretty bad. No peeling on roof, just faded a bit. 16" WRX wheels (the split 5 spoke ones). Bridgestone RE92s. Another set of black WRX wheels and tires (more tread than the ones on the car) will go with the car when it's sold.

Engine - EJ20T from a 2002 WRX Wagon. Engine had 47,xxx miles when we pulled it from the wagon. Manual transmission. Stock intake. STI "up pipe". STI turbo-back exhaust. This car is *quiet*. The loudest thing is the turbo spooling, so it doesn't attract crazy attention to itself. I replaced the IACV and recently cleaned out the MAF sensor with some electronics cleaner (it was throwing a CEl that cleared up once I did that - the sensor was definitely dirty). Engine runs really well.

The car has RS 2.5 suspension all around. The suspension is kinda tired, but it works fine for daily driving (which is what i've been doing with it). STI rear swaybar for a GC era car, but with the super sofa suspension thats on there now it's not doing much - just kinda holdin' on in the back. With a new suspension it'd really help the car.

The interior up front is the "L" dash up top (dark grey) and an RS 2.5 lower dash (also dark grey). Center console is repainted to match the dash, and it does a fairly good job of that. The door panels are dark grey up top, but they're the original "L" light grey on the bottom. Carpet is from a newer WRX. Fits good up front but a few spots (near the door sills) where it's not perfect in the rear. Carpet is *much* nicer than the nasty bacteria filled one we took out! The steering wheel is from the WRX (as is the whole column) The seats are Australian WRX. Dark blue / black-ish with the red accents. Seats are really comfortable and supportive. They're in very good (but not perfect) shape. The rear seat splits unlike the stock seat, so you could actually put bigger stuff in the car if needed. Headliner is dirty in spots but isn't sagging or anything like that. A/C works!

There aren't a whole lot of these GC era cars with WRX engines in them on the island. The wiring was done by a good friend of mine that has done four RS / L -> WRX swaps, so he knows the wiring. The car is done, runs, and has been running well for a while now. I've got to sell it because I went back to school and have too many cars - gotta trim things down while I change careers.

A few quick bits:

- No, I don't want to trade you for your car / motorcycle.

- No, I do not take payments. I am not a bank, sorry.

- No. I will not take your ridiculous lowball offer.

This is a very fair price for a car with a WRX swap. Take a look at what a painted and immaculate version of this car goes for on the mainland! All the wiring and hard stuff is done. This car realistically needs a paint job, some very minor bodywork, and a suspension. That's it. The engine, brakes, suspension, transmission, completed wiring, and seats are all there. You don't have to do anything but get in and drive! As such - I am asking $6,000 ovno (or very near offer). Please don't waste my time or yours, k? I'm a busy guy, so I don't waste my time or yours by coming to just kick tires. I need to sell the car - and if you're interested, I will do my best to show you everything I know about the car - good and bad. I'm not out to screw anybody over on this car. I am hoping it can go to someone who is already in the Subaru community or is lookin to get into it.

If you are interested, please give me a call. (808) 389-2096. More than likely I'll be at school / work, so leave a clear message with your name and phone number. You can PM me here if you wish, but the best way to get ahold of me is probably to call me and leave a message.

-Andy
Old 10-02-2008, 01:52 AM

Car Info: Slower than the guy with all the money :(
G/L to you Andy!!
Good deal for someone looking for a fun car!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
TTT! Good luck!

This is my favorite part:

"- No, I don't want to trade you for your car / motorcycle.

- No, I do not take payments. I am not a bank, sorry.

- No. I will not take your ridiculous lowball offer."

How sad that there has to be some kind of disclaimer for something that is spelled out pretty clearly...
Old 10-03-2008, 05:19 PM

What's sad is every time I've tried to sell a car I get all 3 of 'em. Sorry, brah... I don't want your beat-to-hell 92 Honda Civic with a turbo kit on it and 7" exhaust pipe.

Thanks guys - got a couple 'o interested parties and hoping to show the car to 'em this weekend.

Paint and suspension - that's all this car needs! You can keep it all hobo style like it is now on the outside, but a few small dents (parking lot type stuff) and a spray bomb would make it look pretty sharp.

(edit) the car will also come with 4 black WRX split 5 spoke 16" wheels and the accompanying Bridgestone RE92s. Awww yeah. Hawt tires. I think they're R compound or something (and yes, I'm kidding). More tread on 'em than are on the silver WRX wheels that are on the car at the moment.

Last edited by Latka; 10-03-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: cause I missed something, ok? GAWD why are you always questioning me!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 02:36 AM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
Andy...

Ill trade you my Van, Car, and Bus pass plus $10 a month for 200 months for the GC.

LMK, Vern.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:41 AM

Damn, that is pretty tempting. $10 a month for 200 months. Only like 16 2/3 years. Hahaha
Old 10-04-2008, 03:46 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
i can offer all Scubaru + a pair of used ipod headphones. deal?
Old 10-04-2008, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
bump for a fellow swappeee
Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 AM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
i can offer all Scubaru + a pair of used ipod headphones. deal?
damn, im out.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:05 AM

Still up for sale. A few more calls, and going to show the car again tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
Latka,...going to call to find out your availability for tomorrow...
Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 PM

I'd be available to show the car (tomorrow, the 8th) either late in the morning (10:45am to around 12:30pm) or from about 3:00pm to 5:00pm. (School, and then some stuff in the evening). Thursday I'm available from about 12:45pm to 5:00pm (Styx concert woohoo!). Friday I'm available from around 10:45am to 2:00pm. Saturday and Sunday I'm goign to have to check - I work both days.

Gimme a call or an e-mail and we can set something up. 389-2096 -Andy
Old 10-14-2008, 02:20 AM

Car still available for sale. My rock bottom price is $5500. Firm.

(edit) Set of 4 WRX 16" wheels (the split 5 spoke lookin' ones) painted black with good tires on 'em. (better than the tires that are on the car now). So - you'll get two full sets of WRX wheels / tires with the car.

Last edited by Latka; 10-14-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Car Info: Slower than the guy with all the money :(
Originally Posted by Latka
Car still available for sale. My rock bottom price is $5500. Firm.

(edit) Set of 4 WRX 16" wheels (the split 5 spoke lookin' ones) painted black with good tires on 'em. (better than the tires that are on the car now). So - you'll get two full sets of WRX wheels / tires with the car.
Somebody buy this!!
If I didn't have my car,I'd have this one to beat everybody with!!!
Bump por my priend de big guy!!!!
AI SUS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:15 PM

Pending sale this weekend. Thanks for the bump, Pranceeeeeeeeeees! I'll give your son the weekend (nights) off for your kindness.

Quick Reply: 1998 GC8 w EJ20T swap. $6000 ovno