WizPad.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
WizPad.....

Who needs an over glorified Ipod Touch (Ipad)? When you can have the mobility of an Ipad but with a full Operating System.

Introducing my new carputer/data logger:
http://www.redfoxtechnologies.com/wizpad.html

Now I just have to figure a way to mount it in my car.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:20 AM

Car Info: 07 Sti
That looks pretty slick! My biggest issue is that when tour using the keyboard a lot of the screen gets taken up, but should be much easier to mount in a car.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
That looks like everything i've got in my Archos 9 Windows 7 tab - but better chipset, slightly larger screen...

Anyone used an Archos 9 tablet? I'm thinking of putting mine up for sale, but then again, i suppose it could make a decent carputer for romraider work...
Old 01-08-2011, 06:08 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krang
That looks pretty slick! My biggest issue is that when tour using the keyboard a lot of the screen gets taken up, but should be much easier to mount in a car.
thats why I bought this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...842&CatId=3680

fits perfectly in the center console with a mini blue tooth mouse.

Originally Posted by tesh
That looks like everything i've got in my Archos 9 Windows 7 tab - but better chipset, slightly larger screen...

Anyone used an Archos 9 tablet? I'm thinking of putting mine up for sale, but then again, i suppose it could make a decent carputer for romraider work...
I looked into the Archos a month ago or so. As you mentioned, I was not impressed with the specs on it. The Wizpad I just picked up has the same specs as my Dell Netbook but being touch screen and in I pad form.

Personally, I am a Apple fan boy but I cannot understand why they did not go with a full operating system and embedded cam. But I will bet they will in the next year or so. We all know its about making money and their no sense in releasing the good stuff right away.

With that being said since my Netbook and Wizpad have the same specs. I think I will try and Hackintosh the Wizpad just like how the Dell Netbooks are being hacked with a Mac OS.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
May want to work on the name, WizPad sounds like something you'd lay on the floor after getting a puppy.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by newyorkreload
May want to work on the name, WizPad sounds like something you'd lay on the floor after getting a puppy.
hahaha....that was my thoughts also
Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
ive been looking into a computer install in my car.

I think i'm gonna do a netbook in the glove box, then run the vga out through a vga to composite converter. plug the video into my DVD player 1/8 mini to RCA for the audio. mount a usb splitter in the ash tray, wireless rollerball mouse mounted in front of the cup holders, and stickie velcro a wireless keyboard to the back of the passenger seat so it is secure and can take it off easily whenever i need it. hele wireless....what else do you need then?

Simple, cheap, easy to use, very functional
Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Hey chad..If you want a in car computer..Talk to my friend estin..The one with the MR2..He has researched this stuff alot..The computer has a single or double din screen and the computer it self is small as a double din..Its fast or faster then any laptop out there..Also the keyboard is on screen..its like a touch screen dvd player..If you want internet..You just gotta get clear wire or something..Im planning on running it in my car for tuning..
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 4080wrx
I looked into the Archos a month ago or so. As you mentioned, I was not impressed with the specs on it. The Wizpad I just picked up has the same specs as my Dell Netbook but being touch screen and in I pad form.

Personally, I am a Apple fan boy but I cannot understand why they did not go with a full operating system and embedded cam. But I will bet they will in the next year or so. We all know its about making money and their no sense in releasing the good stuff right away.

With that being said since my Netbook and Wizpad have the same specs. I think I will try and Hackintosh the Wizpad just like how the Dell Netbooks are being hacked with a Mac OS.
Yeah I'm with you there - the overall specs for the system weren't so hot, it's sat on my shelf mostly, and I also have an iPad (which i hated when it came out, but use daily for work etc - very handy for notes)

The other option to do would be to setup a mac mini in the glove/underseat and just use the video input on a dual din head unit for the screen - tether it to a lenovo bluetooth mouse/kb (mini handheld, goes on sale on bensbargains. net fairly often for ~40-50) and bam - carputer - tether with your phone or usb clearwire and you're mobile for everything...

also for anyone interested, check the mp3car forums - they're even making and selling custom wrx/subie bezels to fit liliput touch screens...!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
While iPad might not suit you, the iPad suits many people. If Apple made a device suited for you, they probably aren't going to make as much money as they do now. A million people are going to run tuning software on their iPads? Nope.

Tablets running Windows have been out for years. I used to sell them back in 2003. There is a reason why full OS tablets have been utter tragedies.

iPad turns on instantly, hard boots in 12 seconds, battery lasts 10 hours of consecutive use, weeks during sleep. W7 Tablets on sleep mode gives you 1 day of life while in sleep mode, 4-6 hours of battery life, 1 minute boot, and you have to wait for the post boot start items to load.

I don't want to wait 1 minute while I'm in bed checking stocks at 4:30am. Turn on my iPad, run my eTrade mobile pro, see everything act. I can pull off trades within 20 seconds. W7 Tablets are still trying to boot while in this time.

Grandma doesn't want to wait for her computer to load up while checking on a recipe quickly online.

Mom want to Skype with my relatives around the world, she picks up her iPad, turns it on instantly, and clicks on Skype and viola, she can voice chat with her friends.

It's freaking apples and oranges. Wonder why all these sheep companies are making tablets again?

But back to subject: Do you want to wait for your tablet to boot up? Try out a W7 tablet and try restarting it. You will know what I mean.

I've heard of a few tuners looking into programming a device for iOS. Garmin actually has a OBDII scanner coming out for it. Just stay put.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
How about this...

http://store.mp3car.com/Direct_Fit_i..._p/dsh-030.htm

Made specifically for 2005-2007 Impreza's...an IPAD Bezel...pretty cool and the ultimate in theft deterrents...

I was browsing around over the weekend when I stumbled across it...

you have to go to the site...I couldn't download any pics...I think I saw a few videos on it on Youtube if I'm not mistaken..

If someone already posted on this, I apologize...

Brent
Old 01-10-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by BoOm
While iPad might not suit you, the iPad suits many people....
good post - that's the allure of iOS/"mobile" OS devices WP7/iOS/WebOS - they're great for developers, but unfortunately developers dont often make OBDII interface programs, but yes, there's Kiwi Wifi OBDII scanners already out for your iphone/ios device

i used to be able to justify a ~1minute boot while driving in the mainland, but in hawaii, you're usually to busy actually driving and you're usually already there by the time your windows device is ready to go (which is why i could only use a carputer as an aux device to a standalone dual din dvd/nav unit

Originally Posted by Island Style

Exactly what i was thinking of - i think that's what brought me to their forums again recently - there used to be full out, dual din carputer units on ebay (might still be) that were plug and play, but terrible specs - if they've gotten better, it'd be pretty sweet to run a carputer for on-the-go romraider work + all the other things you can do with the unit....
Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 5.4RS
http://www.azpenpc.com/product_view.asp?id=43
played with this at CES this weekend, going to be released in a few weeks. i am going to buy one!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ds baruuuuu
http://www.azpenpc.com/product_view.asp?id=43
played with this at CES this weekend, going to be released in a few weeks. i am going to buy one!
^^Dave everything on that tablet is 99% just like my Wizpad.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
yeah but i like the dual boot android and the tech was claiming 5.5hr batt life(hope its true). plus im going to try and sign up as a reseller for them and see if i can get it for cheaper their retail is 499 how much was the wizpad?