Who has ever had gout?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
Who has ever had gout?

I having an attack on my left ankle and it sucks.

It runs in my family as my mother had recurring attacks and she wasn't overweight, but just like my mom, we both like food.

Anyone have any comments or cures to ease the pain?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Hey Kevin, I have gout. It sucks. Drink LOTS of water and black cherry juice. Take ibuprofen for the pain, and if you can get colchicine and alopurinol, that'd be great.

Colchicine helps shorten the attack, alopurinol helps keep them away.

And stay away from beer, shellfish, and pork/other rich foods.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
Gout sufferer here. If you're not on Colchicine or Indomethacine for the symptoms, get some Aleve or Advil. I'm on Allopurinol daily so I haven't had an attack since being on the meds.

Elevate your foot and drink a lot of fluids. You just have to ride it out. Couple of painful days.

The hardest part is figuring out what was the trigger. It took me about a year to figure out I couldn't drink booze and eat shellfish at the same time (champagne and lobster is a no-no for me).
Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Car Info: 04 Subaru WRX STI PSM
Try cleaning up your diet.My Wifes uncle has it and cant eat any red meat or junk food..And If you are over wieght try going on a diet with organic foods.Not trying to be a dick just giving info...Goodluck!!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 PM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
Cut sugary foods, soft drinks/soda, fast food. Diet drinks are no good either. Eat healthier and you should have less problems. Had a friend that started with symptoms related to gout but with a change in diet they went away.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Car Info: Pasoi!
Upside to this though, handicap parking, yea Josh?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 AM

Car Info: S14
Gout is Freaken horrible I feel like cutting off my ankle when I use to get it. Haven't gotten it in a while since beer and pork is no longer apart of my diet, but yeah eating cherries, alloooott of water flush it out.or u can take your gout pills prior to eating or drinking whatever triggers it.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 AM

Thanks for the support people.
I don't know what triggers it as I know to stay away from fast food and haven't eaten red meat in a few weeks if any. Been chicken eater lately, but thing like nuts can trigger it. I ate a few macadamia nuts the other day and that might have done me in aside from having this continuing problem.

I'll keep some advil, but is that more effective than 500 mg of Tylenol? I also have colchochine, allopurinol, and célèbrex , that kept me gout free for a year or so till recently as I had to stop for a while.

Many a times I wish I had a hacksaw as well (Mad Max action here), as the constant throbbing and fever at night is unreal. I hope the best for you gout suffers as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 AM

Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
Originally Posted by abakja1
I'll keep some advil, but is that more effective than 500 mg of Tylenol? I also have colchochine, allopurinol, and célèbrex , that kept me gout free for a year or so till recently as I had to stop for a while.
Kev, I've never had gout but from my schooling we've been told Tylenol just won't do much for gouty pain. It doesn't have the anti-inflammatory properties that the NSAID's (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) do. NSAID's are ibuprofen (Motrin/Aleve), naproxen (Aleve), indomethacin (Indocin), etc.

Indomethacin seems to be the NSAID of choice from what I've always seen but it's prescription only. You should try to use these meds only when you have attacks (vs. preventative measures like Allopurinol). Taking too much NSAID's can increase your risk of gastric ulcers or even kidney problems.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:20 AM

Car Info: "STI-EGO"
i never had gout and i hope i never get it after seeing my dad with tears in his eyes from trying to walk with it. the pain looks super intense.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by substitude
Kev, I've never had gout but from my schooling we've been told Tylenol just won't do much for gouty pain. It doesn't have the anti-inflammatory properties that the NSAID's (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) do. NSAID's are ibuprofen (Motrin/Aleve), naproxen (Aleve), indomethacin (Indocin), etc.

Indomethacin seems to be the NSAID of choice from what I've always seen but it's prescription only. You should try to use these meds only when you have attacks (vs. preventative measures like Allopurinol). Taking too much NSAID's can increase your risk of gastric ulcers or even kidney problems.
Thanks for the info,...will try tajing motrin/aleve...

And yes the pain is pretty bad, but I have a high tolerance though I have a fever and pretty cranky when Something/ someone always seem to hit the effected area.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 PM

Car Info: S14
Mines would get so bad jus a sheet running across my foot would have me on the verge of tears. A lot of things can trigger an attack anywhere from wheat bread to brown gravy, I jus used to write down what I ate and drank to see what triggered it then stay away from that.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
My grandpa has it on my mom's side. No one else is getting it though so maybe I will be lucky.

I wouldn't want it but I guess it would help make me clean up my act when it comes to eating.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 AM

Just an update to my gout history problems and I hope this post will help your lifestyle and health.

I was having gout problems when I turned 32yrs ( yes I'm old,...lol) and suffered for 10 + years,...I'm 44 now,.,.but when I had gout, it would last at a minimum 5 days and about 2 weeks,....at one time I was wheel chair bound for months without prescribed medication my doctor wouldn't give me since I couldn't drive or see him due to the gout,.,finally went to er to get a dose,...my health was in a poor state as I self admitted my self to the hospital as I could breathe at night and couldn't get to sleep for days, turns out I had a blockage in my artery and almost had a heart attack and possible death as my heart wasn't pumping enough blood to my body. 2 stints later and a year and a half of recover is where I am now along with juicing in better health and on my road to a better lifestyle.

Anyways research on the web stated that chicken was higher in purines which lead to gout as I cut all red meat and pork from my diet for many years now and I don't drink alcohol at all or eat seafood other than fish. Actually anything could trigger my gout since my purine levels were high on my blood tests,..my legs were always swollen and I would get gout in either my ankles, Achilles,knees and sometimes in both legs at the same time. At the time I exercised a lot as well playing tennis a few times a week, went to the gym or at home on a treadmill or stationary bike and free weights. So something else in my diet had to change as being on a chicken and fish diet only along with other changes wasn't doing anything at all.

What changed? Well I started juicing and I hope this will help all those who ever suffered from gout. I wanted to go all natural and stay off daily medications if any, as my mom suffered from kidney disease as she got older and went thru dialysis God rest her soul. At first I started juicing watermelon, the green rind and all. $10 at Sams club or costco and ice cold watermelon tastes great on a hot day anyways. The green rind is what is the most beneficial part. After a few weeks, the swelling in my legs went away,..after a few months almost completely away. Today, my swelling is all gone. I now juice a green drink that comprises of either spinach or a spinach/kale mix I can get from sams club, granny apples and celery (add ginger root if you want) to keep my intestines clean and add green power and essential vitamins and positive Microbiotics In my system. I juice a quarter section of a whole watermelon daily to prevent swelling and for its benefits to prevent gout on other days.

This combo has kept my gout attacks away and if I ever have an attack at all, it would last just overnight or a couple of days with just some swelling and only a little bit of pain and not the intense throbbing and excruciating pain to just a simple brush or touch to the affected area I used to have that lasted weeks. It was that bad for me,... I would get a fever and be on colchicine and indomethecine every six hours which is not good,..I got to the point I pounded or punched walls and swore being infuriated withe pain and throbbing I had minute after minute, hour after hour, for weeks when I had an attack. Crutches and a wheelchair was a norm for me making mobility a chore.

I hope this helps as gout affected my lifestyle not only in the food I can no longer enjoy ( God I miss a good steak and I lovehome made kalbi I used to make), to not being to have the active lifestyle I used to have playing competitive tennis, playing basketball, and mountain bike riding as arthritis has pretty much destroyed my joints and range of motion in both my knees. Watch "Fat, sick, and nearly dead" the video on Netflix or elsewhere as I suffered the same symptoms as the main character in the video with also the red rash-like symptoms. Today, I'm almost gout free, off daily meds and only need meds for the attack, and 30 lbs lighter due to juicing when all doctor prescribed medications and quick fixes like black berry juice, celery etc didn't work,..
Consult your doctor as always and good luck,...

I'm just saying due to this very long post, but gout can be a real *****!!!!

Last edited by abakja1; 05-06-2014 at 05:43 AM.