What does i-club mean to you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:54 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
What does i-club mean to you?

I've been around i-club for a decent while. Not as long as others, but since the earlier part of 2004. I have seen several changes in meats, cruises, install days, BBQs, BBall days, and other events. People come and people go and that is the nature of such a club. I have made many friends here in HIIC and I am sure that there are many more friends I have yet to meet.

As long as there is a unifying passion between all of us, i-club will always remain. It has changed and will continue to change as will the rest of us and our lives. Many of us no longer have the cars we first had when we joined i-club and some of us finally have the Subie we always wanted. It just goes to show how we evolve as a club.

I for one appreciate all that I have gained because I am a part of this unique group and I am sure that I am not alone with this. I really hope you all realize what a great bunch you guys are and continue to throw the shakas, aid the needy i-clubber, and drive in a way fitting for a true Subie enthusiast (responsibly).

With this said, I am curious as to what i-club has meant to you all.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I-club is where I met my wife.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
I-club (HIIC specifically) = knowledge

I went from thinking that if you added a BOV (in 2003) that you could add more horsepower to doing a complete motor swap almost by myself. On top of that I have met so many knowledgeable people on Suby's that are now some of my closest friends.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:28 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx [enter name here]
for me i-club was two things, meeting people outside of the norm of military life and making new friends, and to learn more about the car that i bought before deployment. so far ive benefited in both. I have met many people and made many friends, (ive also gone through many names) and I have learned some info about my car. granted i should do some research on my own which i plan to do.

But all in all i love i-club especially since i started off here in hawaii its gonna be hard to beat the friends made here. sadly i will be apart of the people that leave. but hope someday to return and still keep in touch with everyone.and i hope we can do more bowling nights (without fail) and more get togethers
Old 12-05-2009, 02:39 AM

Car Info: GC8 Type-R, BH5 Wangon Gen3 and 05 SV650 Naked!
Well for me i-club has made me a better and mature driver, I guess being apart of a mature club thats known by alot of people made me think of all the wrong things ive done in the streets and in the past. I hope that others catch on with the Subie love and say im happy to own a Subaru.

Kiyoshi
Old 12-05-2009, 04:58 PM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
The i-club is what I call the start of my passion. Ever since Bill (RUH-ROH) chased my old blue GC with his white RS on Nimitz, back in 99 to tell me about the i-club. Since then, I was hooked with the uniqueness of this car, as well as the people riding in them. If you ever owned a Honda in your life, how often would you get a shaka from a fellow Honda dude? You'd more likely get a couple revs and a downshift, and still go nowhere. Nowhere!!

With the i-club, not only just HI in general but all chapters, I've gotten somewhere with my L through knowledge from everyone. Even though I sold my GC and dropped out in 03, I still ninja'd the forums until I got my current GC in 05. And since then, I've collected info, as well as parts to help sorta build my dream car...Thanks to you guys, my L is half a car length from Jon's bugeye, lol.

Last edited by joejoe69; 12-05-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 PM

Car Info: 2002 Legacy GT Wagon
as a family member and very brief subaru owner, i-club means energy and spirit of the car community. it sounds like zen bs, but i believe that all types of social interactions are great and car communities combine those who would otherwise not have anything in common. i met some of the best guys on i-club (joey, toku, vern, bill, stan, ka'aua, it goes on and on). when i first got into it, i was 16 w/ no license and just sitting through autocross days in the blazing sun. 10 years later and it's still going strong. i wish i could have met more new faces, but this community is one of the best i've ever been a part of.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 AM

Car Info: Slower than the guy with all the money :(
Originally Posted by Psycholis
as a family member and very brief subaru owner, i-club means energy and spirit of the car community. it sounds like zen bs, but i believe that all types of social interactions are great and car communities combine those who would otherwise not have anything in common. i met some of the best guys on i-club (joey, toku, vern, bill, stan, ka'aua, it goes on and on). when i first got into it, i was 16 w/ no license and just sitting through autocross days in the blazing sun. 10 years later and it's still going strong. i wish i could have met more new faces, but this community is one of the best i've ever been a part of.
16 !!!! ?? !!! Holy Crap!!!! Talk about feeling old!!
I've witnessed the "club" grow & change,almost from the beginning!!!
I remember watching the forums,seeing it grow daily.
Locally,I remember "stalking" other suby guys,making a list of the ones I met.
Nowadays I see a Suby,what seems like,every ten minutes.
I still like meeting & making friends,and I know it will always be this way for me.
I-club will continue to be a big part of my life,so you will all have to deal with my crap for quite a while!!
Old 12-06-2009, 02:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
Well, when I first got my first Subaru back in early 06, I was just pretty much on my own trying to figure out my way to the AWD Turbocharged tuning scene. I used to go to Vakamon and Ryan kept telling me, "you should go to I-club". But I wasn't really a car club fan per se. All those negative connotations that go with these stuck with me so I pretty much avoided these. However, I was lurking for almost a year and I was more getting interested because of the attitude of the members are more positive and mature. Besides, I can't resist giving back the numerous "shaka's" from the members on the road.

So finally in 07, I joined and pushed myself to go to the weekly "meats". I heard that a lot of man-love that happens in these weekly events (newbies be forewarned), so I was a bit cautious. And that's how I got to meet and know most of the members. A lot of them are now close friends and acquaintances (not just in FB). Although I am not as active in going to the weekly meets because of my schedule as I used to, I have been diligently working with VIP ninja in organizing the major HIIC cruises since I joined.

I-club culture is one of a kind, and this includes all of the Suby owners and clubs that I have been to (not just here in Hawaii). The language is universal and it runs deep.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:17 AM

Car Info: cars
I've been a member for a while and lately just lurk occasionally on the boards. Through the years I've learned a lot about Subaru's and made many friends in i-club... some of which are now some of my closest friends.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:20 PM

Car Info: a pickup truck with a gun rack.
ive met alot of buyers & sellers here. bunch of cool peeps i see around while driving!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
I started my Subaru life in 2004, at the time I lived in Utah and began to post on NABISCO. The Rocky Mountain Impreza Club was a good bunch of folks, but there was no unity. For some reason everyone felt the need to segment themselves further into their little cliques and gangs, apparently us all driving a great car wasn't enough of a connection, completely defeating the purpose of the club in the first place and taking away from the clout that a respected club generates.

Moving back to Hawaii in 2008 I found the club I had been looking for back in 2004. A close knit group of mature individuals who understood that we are all a part of a big family. I believe it has a great deal to do with the nature of Hawaii itself, as I have always found that whenever I come home no matter what changes physically, the people I have the privilege of share this island with always have their heart in the right place. The fact that we all live on this rock brings us a lot closer than we would be otherwise, and I am stoked on it.

To sum it up:

I learned more about the history, future, inner workings, and troubleshooting of my vehicle in the last 12 months than I did in the 4 years I spent trying to do it solo in Utah, and to me that really speaks about the character of the people we have in this club, not to mention the great activities that we participate in over the year.

I would just like to thank everyone who has been a part of the iclub here in Hawaii. New and old, we all make this the great place it is and we deserve some recognition!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Same here, i-club.com/Hawaii or HIIC was and is still a "MATURE" club of suby enthusiats!! Started in '04 thanks to Norris and Uncle Nino back when Waipahu Subaru was OHANA subaru! Later met some real cool kats,made some real friends who I can call best friends and later found out I even have relatives in this club. The club members, Ted, and I put alot of effort in keeping the image of HIIC clean and reputable(like the VW guys) by hosting charity events,and with the media attention we got and the awesome sponsors we've landed, we plan to be even bigger next season.

Also 1 thing you need to take notice that other clubs dont do is that i-club does is that each regional chapter is coordinating with the local United Way and Blood Bank/ Kidney Foundation, Food Bank.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:04 AM

Car Info: hard in the paint!!!
Having a suby changed my life, i-Club made it tens times better! Nuff sed.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 AM

Car Info: camber toe
I-Club

It drove my passion towards becoming a car enthusiast like no other car brand(sorry V-Tach)

Thanks to Greg, I immediately signed with I-Club of the ending of 03'

MC Rich's Playground was the second start of my interest

Mainly endless hours searching, studying boxer principles, refreshing Ebay for rare OEM parts at that time, and countless aftermarket parts

Even when I wasn't lurking HIIC, I remember getting a late nite Frappuccino in 06', only to watch HIIC ooh and ahh at a leaning light pole at Kam Shopping Center. I then was definite to get back in the Suby scene

Finally participated at my first I-Club outing at TFT Cruise of 06' that followed into the "Meats", Annual Shrimp Cruise, Karaoke, D&B's, Zippy's, Miki's, Monday Curry House, Suby Install Days, Paparazzi Crew Photo shoot, and recently my very first AUW cruise

HIIC is here, live; but I also like to read and post at BAIC, SCIC, etc

Many stories, many faces. If you are reading this(you know who you are), yes. It made me an enthusiast, but what I-Club really means to me is the EPIC MEMORIES that I will always carry with me!

Quick Reply: What does i-club mean to you?