What coilovers are good?

Old 09-14-2012, 04:11 AM

Car Info: 2001 obs W84M3 Bugeye WRX
What coilovers are good?

want to order coilovers for my car just wondering what i should order and were i should order from by the way its for a gc.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Budget? What type of racing are these for?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 AM

Car Info: 2001 obs W84M3 Bugeye WRX
Not really gonna race it right now just want to.lower the car i wanna spend like 1700 shipped.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:59 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
lol. youll have no problem finding great DD coils. im running BC BR on my 02. an upgrade up from my megan racing coilovers. the BRs give me more dampening control and integrated dampening.compression control. well worth the $910 shipped
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Car Info: '04 STI
these seem nice OHLiNS GC8 COILOVERS JDM SUBARU WRX STi 92 00 SUSPENSIONS FULL ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS | eBay
Old 09-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by 02RS25
lol. youll have no problem finding great DD coils. im running BC BR on my 02. an upgrade up from my megan racing coilovers. the BRs give me more dampening control and integrated dampening.compression control. well worth the $910 shipped
BC BRs and Megans are made by the same people. Both coilovers are horrendous choices. $1,700 is a good budget, but you're spending all that money on something that you're not going to be taking advantage of unless you're doing some form of competitive motorsports.

Last edited by Brfatal; 09-14-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Ironic considering BC BRs and Megans are made by the same people. Both coilovers are horrendous choices. $1,700 is a good budget, but you're spending all that money on something that you're not going to be taking advantage of unless you're doing some form of competitive motorsports.
which is why i dont see BC BR as a "horrendous" choice. I myself DD, im still getting my car track ready (at which point id spend the money into coils that do the job correctly) and in his case, it doesnt seem like he would be doing enough competitive driving to be completely worth the big bucks, as u stated. i agree, both coils that i stated are lower on the ladder of compt racing. but where do they stand on the DD/just want it lower ladder? IMO, they a good way up. in the end, i agree with u, $1700 u better be using the coils for what they are worth/made for. but if u just want looks, pick up something around 1k and spend the rest on other parts he will need (camber plates, fender roll, install, etc.) just my 2 cent
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I would say if you are not going to be driving the car competitivly and are just looking mainly for asthetics, and a little better performance go with some springs, and use the opportunity to replace your struts if they are worn....

Just my Humble oppinion.

With the money you save you can get some other performance goodies...
Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Technical Know-It-All

which is why i dont see BC BR as a "horrendous" choice. I myself DD, im still getting my car track ready (at which point id spend the money into coils that do the job correctly) and in his case, it doesnt seem like he would be doing enough competitive driving to be completely worth the big bucks, as u stated. i agree, both coils that i stated are lower on the ladder of compt racing. but where do they stand on the DD/just want it lower ladder? IMO, they a good way up. in the end, i agree with u, $1700 u better be using the coils for what they are worth/made for. but if u just want looks, pick up something around 1k and spend the rest on other parts he will need (camber plates, fender roll, install, etc.) just my 2 cent
Neither coilover are really suited for any form of racing. In the case of BCs specifically people are finding that they aren't even lasting an entire season of auto-x before needing to be rebuilt. They aren't suited for DD use either. They are put together using random parts from a parts bin and made to fit whatever application (vehicle) they are sold for. They are under damped, over sprung, don't offer very much travel, and not very durable (AKA under-engineered). Not being valve correctly leads to a poor ride that cannot be completely corrected and it will negatively affect handling and reliability.

There are only 2 people types of people who encourage buying budget coilovers, people who buy custom spec coilovers who know they are going to blow them anyways and are in for the no-questions asked warranty (specific to BC BRs) and those who know absolutely zero about suspension workings and aren't willing to research or spend money to do things correctly.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Car Info: 2018 STI Limited
IMPO like others have said, since you are more so upgrading your suspension for aesthetic purposes, i would stick with a good spring/strut combo. it will give you what you want and you will spend half as much. Then you can use the remaining money to buy other things that are on your "build list." Since your budget is $1700 i would NOT buy just springs and throw them on your stock struts. I would spend a little extra money to get some good struts/shocks with a good spring and the combination of the two will give you not only the look but great performance at around $600 - $800 depending on what you buy. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Neither coilover are really suited for any form of racing. In the case of BCs specifically people are finding that they aren't even lasting an entire season of auto-x before needing to be rebuilt. They aren't suited for DD use either. They are put together using random parts from a parts bin and made to fit whatever application (vehicle) they are sold for. They are under damped, over sprung, don't offer very much travel, and not very durable (AKA under-engineered). Not being valve correctly leads to a poor ride that cannot be completely corrected and it will negatively affect handling and reliability.

There are only 2 people types of people who encourage buying budget coilovers, people who buy custom spec coilovers who know they are going to blow them anyways and are in for the no-questions asked warranty (specific to BC BRs) and those who know absolutely zero about suspension workings and aren't willing to research or spend money to do things correctly.
ive done my research enough to not bother spending the money on many struts on drop springs. i personally dont see any prob withh DD these coils. again, all about the drivers taste and style. what shocks u running?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Technical Know-It-All

ive done my research enough to not bother spending the money on many struts on drop springs. i personally dont see any prob withh DD these coils. again, all about the drivers taste and style. what shocks u running?
My mods are listed to the left in my garage link.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
dont bother with brfatal he says the same things in every thread about suspension

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...ilover-244152/

OP: its all up to personal preference with suspension...best bet is to find people with a similar car to yours and see how their setup feels and if you like it or not

ive had a few different setups and for my DD highway commuting, the BC br was the best choice for me because i dont track my car right now, it offers height and dampening adjustability and they were cheap because i got them used...brfatal says BC coilovers dont last at all, but ive had mine for 60k daily driven (70/30 highway/city driving) and ive had zero issues, although the ride is slowing becoming harsher because they are worn down and should be replaced soon

i had spec-c struts and springs before and i prefer the BC coilover because it provides zero body roll and height adjustability...

the problem with going with struts/springs like a few have suggested is that if you dont like the height that it sets your car at, you have to get a whole new set or take the time to trade...with coilovers you can set it however you like...i run 3 different wheel sizes 16"-18" so i like to be able to have the height adjustability

now if i had 1700 id probably go with the Suspension techniques coilover - its the same as KW but the shock body is a different material (not lifetime rust warrantied)

ST SPEEDTECH COILOVERS
Looking to lower your car the right way?
Want the best ride, handling and performance all in one package?
Tired of the offshore Knock-Off Coilover Game -Same generic aluminum product, different colors, different Name?
Worried about how long your purchase will last, and if you can actually get warrantee if it breaks?

Suspension Techniques has the answers to all of these questions...
Speedtech Coilovers by KW

Yes you read right, by KW. ST Speedtech Coilovers are made by KW, the leading brand worldwide for height adjustable coilover systems. In fact ST is owned by KW automotive. Just think of ST as KW’s little brother!

What's the difference between KW coilovers and ST Coilovers? Four simple differences:

Construction
ST Speedtech Coilovers are constructed of high grade steel, and heavy galvanized for great rust protection.
KW Coilovers are made from INOX stainless steel, which is 100% rust free.

Damper Options
ST Speedtech Coilovers offer only a non-dampening adjustable solution along with the height adjustability, just like the KW V1’s.

KW Coilover systems are available in three different dampening options:
V1 Coilovers - Height Adjustable with Preset Dampening
V2 Coilovers - Height Adjustable with Adjustable Rebound Dampening
V3 Coilovers - Height Adjustable with Adjustable Rebound & Compression Dampening

Warranty
ST Speedtech Coilovers offer a 5 year Limited Warranty to the original purchaser.

KW Coilover systems offer a full Limited Lifetime Warrantee to the original purchaser
http://www.stsuspensions.com/coilovers.php

**the ST doesnt come with tophats, i recommend group-n

i got a quotte from a nasioc vendor for st coilovers and group-n mounts shipped for $1600 earlier this year

Last edited by slugrx; 09-14-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Technical Know-It-All

I say exactly the same thing each time. Sometimes it's even copy paste. That's what happens when the same tired questions come up and the same answers need to be given.

I'll second the don't bother with me thing though. It's not like I'm informative or understand anything about suspension design anyways.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
These threads never get old haha..

I have some KW's v1, i love em.. my other choice was bilstein pss9's.

If you do shock and spring. you can get this setup RCE springs amd bilstien shocks and you can get some perrin sways for the front and rear. Finalize everything by getting alignment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What coilovers are good?