unable to think of a plan

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 09:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
unable to think of a plan

Ebay Auction #1

Ebay Auction #2

I doubt that either will go for $100, and even if so, I'm thinking that it would still be wisest to not utilize them for a licensed daily driver, but for a drivetrain swap into the non-salvage titled Loyale sitting in my driveway.

Biggest problem is transport.

I drug my poor wife 75 miles iot p/u this POS Loyale. I don't see her being too enthusiastic heading up to Vermont nor to Brooklyn. And the cost of line-hauling one of them would probably exceed the purchase cost by 400%.

I need to start touring the local junkyards.

I guess I'm not asking for feedback so much as trolling for it.

I'm gathering that the 4x4 Loyale isn't the best, most durable drivetrain that Subaru has produced. I haven't fully figured out the difference between AWD and 4WD, beyond the fact that AWD is on all of the time. I know that every different manufacturer who produces anything AWD or 4WD uses a whole lot of different methods, from FWD cars that use some sort of 'smart' system that pushes torque to the rear wheels upon slippage, to all time 50-50 split, to RWD pushing torque to the front wheels (to a transaxle.)

On that note, you know what would be cool is if I were able to wait a few years until I found a wrecked 2004 Ford Explorer like the one I have. It is AWD, but similar to the R34 in that it's RWD that pushes power to the front differential upon wheel slip. The half-shafts and differentials are pretty friggin big. I could just plasma cut them to size and then swap them into the Loyale.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Man we both need to go to some type of treatment to help us with our adiction. We could pick up that car on our way back from: http://www.team-oneil.com/school.rally.htm
Old 12-26-2004, 09:27 AM
VIP Member

Dude, you shoulda seent me inda snow! I don't need no friggin lessons.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

Reserve on the 1994 is $300.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

What are the ramifications of buying a car with a salvage title, beyond the obvious? The obvious meaning that when/if someone tried to sell the car later, it's obviously worth a whole lot less than a like, contemporary car.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

[subdued]I just got the assent from my loving wife to get a temporary beater until I get my car on the road[/subdued]
Old 12-26-2004, 10:37 PM
VIP Member

Dude what is your spending limit? I found some sweet AWD audi's for less than 5k!!!
Old 12-26-2004, 10:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Holy crap...you two are nutz!

I need to go sell a Kidney or something for the kinda money ya'll are spending!

:banana:
Old 12-27-2004, 12:48 AM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Originally Posted by keirnna
Been there twice with NESIC (New England Subie Club) for their one-day winter driving course. Since it was a bunch of young gearhead/performance types, they made the course a bit more aggressive for us. Absolute frickin' blast!!

As for Subaru drivetrain salvage, check out www.fsautoparts.com - a Subaru-only salvage yard in NW Connecticut (you still in West Hartford, Pat - not too far away!). That's where my old '99 2.5GT ended up - I went there to salvage my SS brake lines, my race tires, rotors and pads, and the full interior to put on/in the '97. They have dozens, if not hundreds, of salvage Subies all the way up to modern stuff. Of course, I haven't been there in a couple years, but I'm sure it hasn't changed.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
(with ultra-custom '99 2.5GT interior )
Old 12-27-2004, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Budget changes daily. I'd be interested in looking at some Audi's, although, I don't want to have to travel to Alabama to do it.

Pat, that's awesome. I'm going to have to utilize them via mail since my SUV is filled to the gills....especially with toys and stuff that my 1yo got from all of the in-laws.