timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Imprezza WRX
timing belt replacement

Hi,
New here. Was advised to join by a fellow Subi owner. Recently bought a 2002 Subaru WRX. She's at 107xxx and hasn't had the timing belt replaced. Is there anyone who's interested in doing it? I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Yvette
Old 06-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Originally Posted by yosborne
Hi,
New here. Was advised to join by a fellow Subi owner. Recently bought a 2002 Subaru WRX. She's at 107xxx and hasn't had the timing belt replaced. Is there anyone who's interested in doing it? I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Yvette
Try spinplay. He charges labor and you provide parts. He is damn quick if your in a crunch.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by PSBeachBum
Try spinplay. He charges labor and you provide parts. He is damn quick if your in a crunch.
Ahh ok. How would I get in touch with him? Do you happen to know how much he charges?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts

Ahh ok. How would I get in touch with him? Do you happen to know how much he charges?
Just type spinplay01 in the search bar. Labor he will tell you.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Car Info: 2005 OBP STi
Originally Posted by PSBeachBum
Just type spinplay01 in the search bar. Labor he will tell you.
is he the one you were telling me about a few meets ago?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 PM

Car Info: Pasoi!
"If you can change your spark plugs, you can change your timing belt"

-Meaty.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:47 AM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
Originally Posted by Aeros
"If you can change your spark plugs, you can change your timing belt"

-Meaty.
Spinplay would be the man, but id hope to try and do this myself too. I gotta look this up as im sure there are procedures to follow and tq specs to know about. Im at 51k miles but wanna change mine before i hit 60k just in case. Gonna replace oil and water pump while im at it. Maybe ill host a install day in the future if anyone would care to instruct at that time in the future?

YouTube thread for Op

Last edited by abakja1; 07-01-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:09 PM

Hey everyone,

I was talking to someone and they said that two guys, Ryan or Jimmy-don't know their screen names, are timing belt guys. Anyone know who they are?
Y
Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Hey everyone,

I was talking to someone and they said that two guys, Ryan or Jimmy-don't know their screen names, are timing belt guys. Anyone know who they are?
Y
those two don't come on here much anymore.

how is the car running? are you planning on replacing your water pump as well? will you provide the parts or will I need to get it? do you have a garage that can be used to do the replacement?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by abakja1
Spinplay would be the man, but id hope to try and do this myself too. I gotta look this up as im sure there are procedures to follow and tq specs to know about. Im at 51k miles but wanna change mine before i hit 60k just in case. Gonna replace oil and water pump while im at it. Maybe ill host a install day in the future if anyone would care to instruct at that time in the future?

YouTube thread for Op
I've done that before and the oil pump can be a pain if you can't get the crank sprocket off without force. I'd recommend buying the o-ring that goes behind the oil pump on the block and new oil pump seal I believe as well if you're going to dig that deep.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
Originally Posted by iNfEk
if you're going to dig that deep.
interesting choice of words Jon.

Yvette, if you're not going to do the job yourself (and i don't blame you) then just make sure you at least watch these guys work. you will likely have to change something else so getting a lesson on where/what everything is would be a good idea. you could always look to host an install day. usually if there are cold drinks and snacks a few people will show up. just make sure one of the people is knowledgeable and experienced with the work you need done and the rest can be tool gofers and comedic relief. either way GL with your new friend and welcome to the club.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 04sleeper

interesting choice of words Jon.

Yvette, if you're not going to do the job yourself (and i don't blame you) then just make sure you at least watch these guys work. you will likely have to change something else so getting a lesson on where/what everything is would be a good idea. you could always look to host an install day. usually if there are cold drinks and snacks a few people will show up. just make sure one of the people is knowledgeable and experienced with the work you need done and the rest can be tool gofers and comedic relief. either way GL with your new friend and welcome to the club.
Well it's only based on my experience and most people haven't gone past the timing cover. If the gear doesn't come off easily as it should it'll try your patience a little.

No pun intended on that.

LMK I'm down to do the job.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by iNfEk
Well it's only based on my experience and most people haven't gone past the timing cover. If the gear doesn't come off easily as it should it'll try your patience a little.

No pun intended on that.

LMK I'm down to do the job.
Well a timing belt party sounds like fun. I watched my friend do my older Subaru Imprezza Outback (1996) and it looked equal parts easy and a pain. I'd rather leave it to someone who really knows what they're doing. I would more than likely buy the parts, unless you knew of a deal elsewheres. How much, dare I ask, would it be? Prob replace the water filter and possibly the oil O ring.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:51 PM

Well a timing belt party sounds like fun. I watched my friend do my older Subaru Imprezza Outback (1996) and it looked equal parts easy and a pain. I'd rather leave it to someone who really knows what they're doing. I would more than likely buy the parts, unless you knew of a deal elsewheres. How much, dare I ask, would it be? Prob replace the water filter and possibly the oil O ring.
you probably don't need to change the oil pump. some people just do.

gates makes an oem replacement timing belt kit and also a timing belt kit with water pump which includes everything needed. they run about $400 plus shipping. What I recommend is buying the kit you need then buy a OEM Subaru water pump gasket, thermostat and thermostat gasket from subaru as well. The water pump sits behind the thermostat on the lower radiator hose so you might as well change when you're at it... you'll need two gallons of 50/50 green coolant (can be found at walmart...etc.)

since you won't be replacing the oil pump you won't need to replace the items I mentioned above to the other guy. Unless you feel you need to. I'd research this a little more before getting parts.

There is no water filter :P

it's easier with the right parts and tools. If you have the luxury of a second person there then that helps some too for your crank pulley. the learning experience is what's worth doing the job yourself.

this should be what you need: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Gate...-WRX-2002-2003

even though the gates kit comes with a water pump gasket... it's plastic. that's why I recommend getting the additional parts above (less your oil pump, seal and o-ring and crank sprocket)

bugeye for life

Last edited by iNfEk; 07-05-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 PM

oh yeah... if those also haven't been replaced while you're at subaru... pick up your accessory belts (alternator and power steering belts)

Quick Reply: timing belt replacement