i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Hawaii (https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-43/)
-   -   Tein Coilover Clunk Anyone??? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-43/tein-coilover-clunk-anyone-90910/)

iNfEk 02-28-2005 01:22 AM

Tein Coilover Clunk Anyone???

3 Attachment(s)
Hey... it's been known for a long time that if you own Tein suspension that you probably hear a clunking or knocking noise when you drive your car... Most people complain about it being heard in the rear and others say that it comes from the front.

well i for one own Tein Dampers (Flex) and have had the clunk about a few months after installing them on my car. I though that it was normal since everyone says that they have it.

It's been about a year since I've owned them and just today before going to JTECH's house to help bpang1 with his uppipe I had to make some minor adjustments in the engine bay. While there I noticed that when I touched the motors for the EDFC they were VERY loose and I could practically spin them with one finger.

After looking loser I noticed shavings ... :eek: I was like WTF!!!

apparently that bolt that goes on the very top that connects the pillowballs to the strut had become loose and jumped from where it was supposed to be seated.

Attached is what I found... :(

If you are getting this noise please check your suspension... this can be very dangerous!!!

After adressing the issue the clunking noise is completely gone!!! :banana:

Jon

lostUNCERTAIN 02-28-2005 01:28 AM

thanks for the info! was planning on getting the flex system myself too! ill keep that in mind

-Peter

HxllxMan 02-28-2005 01:55 AM

After what I heard, it's normal the Tein Flex make a small little squeezing noise.

WRXed 02-28-2005 02:31 AM

jon, had the same problem. found and fixed it after 1 day. chris - beware! (btw, i tightened yours down good when we installed them). :)

hayn_wrx 02-28-2005 07:10 AM

hey that's a good one..after puttin my stocks back i hear the same noise..i'll take a look today..thanks

iNfEk 02-28-2005 10:10 AM

OLO... it's not a squeezing noise

it's a CLUNK!

it's the noise fo a loose top hat/pillow ball mount...etc. that give excessive travel of the strut causing it to CLUNK against each other everytime you go over a bump wrong...

ANYONE WITH THESE COILOVERS SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT... they are not bad coilovers... they just need to be checked if they are tight enough... if they aren't DO NOT use an impact gun on your car... if you have this problem... post up and I'll tell you how I fixed it without taking the wheels off the car and taking the suspension appart... if it's on the back then you'll have a slightly bigger problem resolving it since you don't have any adjustments in the rear.

Jon

Paperchasin 02-28-2005 10:17 AM

do u have the newer flexes or the older ones?? iirc, the newer ones do not have the clunking issues anymore...

sneezerboi 02-28-2005 10:23 AM

Come to think of it, remember that clunk I had after putting the STi springs on the OEM Forester struts? it was due to the same problem...the loose nut. Nate helped me tighten that nut and the clunk was gone.

I believe Randy had the same issue for like 10 minutes when we did his springs. We had to pull up the sleeve (where the bumpstop lies within) and hold on to the pole inside while tightening up the nut on the top of the strut. If we didn't, the whole thing would just spin inside and we would never tighten the nut.

I think it's for all strut/spring coilover setups in general. I could be wrong.

Tiare 02-28-2005 10:31 AM

Could be the solution?

Just wondering if it is the same case for the so known "STi rear Upper Mount" Clunking noise! it might be just a loose nut!

iNfEk 02-28-2005 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=Paperchasin]do u have the newer flexes or the older ones?? iirc, the newer ones do not have the clunking issues anymore...[/QUOTE]

I think I have the new version... I don't know how to find out the spring rates... but I'm pretty sure that I have the new ones though since my springs aren't as stiff as WRXed ones were.

iNfEk 02-28-2005 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=Tiare]Just wondering if it is the same case for the so known "STi rear Upper Mount" Clunking noise! it might be just a loose nut![/QUOTE]

very possible... check that **** out!

WRX-Zero 02-28-2005 11:01 AM

I have never had clunk problem with my Tein Flex.

sneezerboi 02-28-2005 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=WRX-Zero]I have never had clunk problem with my Tein Flex.[/QUOTE]

Then you, my friend, have tight nuts....

luktang 02-28-2005 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=sneezerboi]Then you, my friend, have tight nuts....[/QUOTE]

:rotfl:

WRX-Zero 02-28-2005 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=sneezerboi]Then you, my friend, have tight nuts....[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!