Question: shifter slop

Old 09-30-2012, 11:24 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Question: shifter slop

I just noticed that my shifter flops around quite a bit while in gear, maybe 3 inches (at the ****) side to side. There is no tension on the shifter, it moves easily from side to side. I don't know if it was always like this and I just realized it, or if something went wrong in the last couple of days, that's why I noticed.

Is this (at least sort of) normal? If not, what should I be looking at or doing? I've never done any work on the shifter so I'm not familiar with what I should do first. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 AM

Car Info: 06 STi 293hp/310tq / 2.5 FLI tune
Maybe worn out bushings, or some loose bolts.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 AM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
What year car? I just resolved my issues with a few different parts but the ice breaker was the Turn in Concepts shift link update. Check out their website and I think it's currently messed up because shipping was free. My shifter is solid now
Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 AM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
kartboy sells a bunch of bushing replacements, and the dogbone linkage. i changed the bushings, then found that it was the dogbone...
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM

Thanks, guys. My car is a 2005 that just ticked over 60,000 miles. Is this normal wear and tear (that I can address with some new/upgraded parts) or did something possible break or fall off? If it's normal, then I can let it go for a while - if, however, it needs attention, I want to take care of it so I don't get stranded somewhere without a shifter.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:25 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Ross,

Sounds like a pretty normal wear/tear type for 60k. Also depends on how rough you are with it I would assume. I'd say just get a set of Kartboy/Cobb etc bushings, take it apart and just look things over while you have your center dash/shift boot off.
good luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 PM

Car Info: Bugeye Wagon - VF39'd
It's pretty normal. Mine was the same way. The single biggest culprit is the U-joint between the shifter and the trans. The TIC shifter linkage update will fix that and that's HUGE. As long as you're in there replace the front and rear shifter stay bushings with Kartboys and do the group N trans mount. Up top you want to replace the shifter bushing.

It's all super easy to do, maybe a couple hours the first time, less after that. If you're interested I have a new Gp N trans mount for sale (I ordered all the parts from TIC without checking my build notes) and Kartboy front stay bushings (used, but in perfect shape). PM if you're interested.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bushflyr
It's pretty normal. Mine was the same way. The single biggest culprit is the U-joint between the shifter and the trans. The TIC shifter linkage update will fix that and that's HUGE. As long as you're in there replace the front and rear shifter stay bushings with Kartboys and do the group N trans mount. Up top you want to replace the shifter bushing.

It's all super easy to do, maybe a couple hours the first time, less after that. If you're interested I have a new Gp N trans mount for sale (I ordered all the parts from TIC without checking my build notes) and Kartboy front stay bushings (used, but in perfect shape). PM if you're interested.
Glad your install of the linkage was smooth. I busted my knuckles and *** trying to get those babies in there.

Question: shifter slop-image-3432549980.jpg

Good thing I have tires to stand on.
Attached Thumbnails Question: shifter slop-image-1553039880.jpg  

Last edited by PSBeachBum; 10-01-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by PSBeachBum
....I busted my knuckles and *** trying to get those babies in there.
Yeah, I was swearing to beat hell till I figured out that if I stuck a long bolt through the fork hole I could get a pair of water pump pliers on it and give it just enough of a squeeze to spread the fork and it slipped right in. That was about 45 minutes. Next time it'll be 45 seconds.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 PM

Thanks everyone, that makes me feel better knowing that nothings going to fall off in the near future. I'm just surprised that I didn't notice how much the shift lever flops around.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 PM

UPDATE: I went ahead and ordered a short shifter and front and rear stay bushings from Kartboy. Removal of the stock shifter and replacement of the bushings was a snap, only took about 45 minutes with me taking my time and using a torque wrench where I could. It then took 2 hours (!) to install the short shifter, I just couldn't get it in the cup and finally resorted to methods too embarrassing to detail here.

Unfortunately, as Bushflyr already mentioned, the front joint in the shift linkage is the problem. After all that work, I have shorter, crisper shifts but the shift lever still flops around with a clanking noise. I went back under the car and confirmed that it's the pinned portion of the shift rod joint, there is around 1/4" of play which is magnified at the shifter.

I guess I will have to order the TiC linkage upgrade and go back under the car.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 AM

Yup. At least you will have the whole package down and from the tic site shipping is free
Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 PM

May as well do all the other bushings as long as you have the x-member out.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bushflyr
May as well do all the other bushings as long as you have the x-member out.
I did mine with it still in
Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 PM

How'd you do the GP-N trans mount and the x-member bushings with it still in? MAD SKILLZ YO!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question: shifter slop