Purolator filters on Island

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 08:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Purolator filters on Island

Want to do my oil tomorrow, but I want to NOT USE A FRAM (I was ignorant the last time did it). After searching online for any vendors (Checker, Napa, AutoZone) I went to the Purolator site to see who sold them. The answer is nobody in Hawaii except SEARS, and SEARS offered to change my Mobil 1 oil (they don't sell the WRX-specific filter, they only include it in oil changes) for the low low price of $50.98. **** that.

Can anyone give me the scoop on where to get them, or do I need to go Downtown to get the Subaru ones? How much do they charge downtown for the filters?
-Greg
Old 03-30-2003, 08:28 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
go see george tomorrow a schuman hell give you a good deal on a stock one its made by puralator
Old 03-30-2003, 08:41 PM
VIP Member

thanks, man. That's Downtown, right?
Old 03-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
What's wrong with Fram????
I've used a Fram Double Gaurd filter for years and years and years of turbocharged miles without any problems.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:45 PM

And make sure to see George; any of the other guy's there'll charge you a grand total of $9.58 for the filter and crush washer Next time I see George there I'm buying 5 or 6 sets
Old 03-30-2003, 10:53 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
yeah its downtown
and ther is nothig wrong with fram the only problem i have is the book said it might fit my car it might not i had to line it up with my stock filter
Old 03-31-2003, 09:32 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Nolimit
What's wrong with Fram????
I've used a Fram Double Gaurd filter for years and years and years of turbocharged miles without any problems.
Sean, currently I'm running a doubleguard, too. However, shortly after doing my first oil change, I was reading up on oil change intervals and caught a few threads about filters. Nobody had anything nice to say about Fram... any of them. Since I had some time this morning (why do I wake up at 5:30 on my days off?) I was searching for those sites again. Here is a list of links about oil filter comparisons.

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/
http://www.mindspring.com/~latvia/Ot...omparison.html
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

These are some of the websites I've found. I've also found a large degree of anti-Fram sentiment both here and on NABISCO. I'm the first one to fight a slanderous stereotype, however, I also agree with the tenet of "there are stereotypes for a reason."

My opinion has been swayed, and I'll avoid Fram filters if I can. Can't be wrong with OEM, right? Or not.

Of course this is just one n00b's opinion.
-Greg
Old 03-31-2003, 09:37 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by ds baruuuuu
yeah its downtown
and ther is nothig wrong with fram the only problem i have is the book said it might fit my car it might not i had to line it up with my stock filter
I have had no probs so far, either, (perhaps a small bit of drip that may or may not have been WD-40) but the fact that it's the same filter used in Honda Civic's makes me a bit leery.

Thanks again for the info about George. I'll be calling in a few.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by islandx
And make sure to see George; any of the other guy's there'll charge you a grand total of $9.58 for the filter and crush washer
Order a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve and be done with trying not to drop the drain plug and washer into the drain pan, while simultaneously avoiding the splash of hot motor oil gushing out of the pan. I ordered mine with the optional clip that locks the lever in place, but my brother has run one on his 5.0 liter Mustang for years with never a problem with rocks striking the lever.

Car maintenance seems like less of a chore when things become simplified.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 03-31-2003, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

I'm actually looking forward to doing this. Kinda fun for me. The only car maintenance thing I really don't care for is Rotating the tires. PITA.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:03 PM

Car Info: 02 RS
okay bringing this thread to life.

forgive me but i'm retarded

when i go to schuman do i just go to the parts department and ask for george? then when i find him what are the magic words do i say to get the oil filters at the good cost?

lastly anyone bought them lately and know what the running price is for the filter and washer? thinking of ordering them online and getting a bunch like i did last time if that is cheaper (i'm pake and will save 0.02 if i could).

thanks.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:22 PM

Car Info: STI
I'm about to get a handful of STI filters too....just havent decided where. When I stopped by Schuman the other week (they were out of stock) he told me $7 something for them no matter how many I buy....sounds a bit high for me but what do I know

But I dont need them instantly and I'm tight enough that I'd order them to save a couple bucks
Old 11-19-2003, 07:00 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
I also went to Schuman to see about oil filters for the STI and they were out I orered like 3, I asked how do they do oil changes if somebody brings in there car no response... They probably had some in the service dept that were set aside for oil changes only I would do it that way keep the customer spending more money happy...But I really wasn't at the mileage to do a oil change was gonna do it because I had time...
Old 11-19-2003, 10:16 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
I picked up some STI filters for my WRX

from George. George is the man downtown, Ed and Braun are the man (men) at Waipahu. I got the STI filter because Ed says it's a better filter (greater filtration) and it's smaller, which puts it a little further from my header. I think I only have one or two left.

San
Old 11-19-2003, 11:28 PM

Car Info: subaru wrx wagon
Fumoto has 15% off on their drain valves till 12/31/03. You have to mention discount code SVC5 when ordering online.

Quick Reply: Purolator filters on Island