View Poll Results: Open Source or AccessPort?
Open Source
31.25%
AccessPort
68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Open Source or AccessPort?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 PM

Car Info: '13 Xrunner
Open Source or AccessPort?

So I'm starting to plan out my power mods and I can't get past whether to go open source or AccessPort. I'm not gonna lie, I like the price of going open source but I like the portability of the AccessPort. I don't like that I would have to lug a honking MacBook Pro into my car to do logging or to remap with going open source. And obviously for the AP, the price is making me cringe every time I think about picking the one Shaggy is offering. So I'm taking this decision to the public. What do you have/had and do you like it? Oh and why you made that decision will be helpful too.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 PM

Car Info: 2013 Subaru WRX
Im in your position. CONFUSED! Forum, help......
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 PM

Car Info: 06 Subaru WRX STI
i got tuned with a cobb software. but had no choice. i had to find out the hard way that my car was actually married to an AP. idk how it will be with an AP, but i hear there is a lot of advantages with it. its just very pricey for one. but i will be going with an open source tune for my next tune - alot cheaper.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by SUMATIC808
i got tuned with a cobb software. but had no choice. i had to find out the hard way that my car was actually married to an AP. idk how it will be with an AP, but i hear there is a lot of advantages with it. its just very pricey for one. but i will be going with an open source tune for my next tune - alot cheaper.
Plus the advantage of having more power than just an ap?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 PM

with an AP. you can get mods and pay for an OTS custom map and just upload it without having to wait for your tuner to come down and fine tune your car. data logging, valet maps..etc. ive never owned an AP. but i know people who do. sometimes i wish i could have those capabilities with tune. so i guess id say go with an AP, but you gta consider that you buy the AP and then you gta pay for a tune or custom maps also. or if you wanna go on the cheaper side go with an opensource.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 PM

with an AP. you can get mods and pay for an OTS custom map and just upload it without having to wait for your tuner to come down and fine tune your car. data logging, valet maps..etc. ive never owned an AP. but i know people who do. sometimes i wish i could have those capabilities with tune. so i guess id say go with an AP, but you gta consider that you buy the AP and then you gta pay for a tune or custom maps also. or if you wanna go on the cheaper side go with an opensource.
Theres a couple places in the bay area that tune Subarus... Maybe ill give them a call and see what possibilities they can offer me... I want the best for the money. Everybody i met has told me if i want more power for the money go get a custom tune specifically for your car. As the cobb accessport is a base map that has been tuned for every subaru. Which means its the same i guess? But having the cobb ap is best for portability, and having the pleasure of tuning to anything you want. Hmm....
Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Open Source.....been running it from my 18G days to my current rotated setup. IMO money best spent else where.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
your not 100% accurate with this statement. there are also OTS rom's for certain setups for OS online. but with any OTS rom, whether its AP of OS it is beneficial to still have a tuner fine tune it to your mods and atmospeheric conditions.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 AM

Car Info: S14
Originally Posted by 4080wrx
your not 100% accurate with this statement. there are also OTS rom's for certain setups for OS online. but with any OTS rom, whether its AP of OS it is beneficial to still have a tuner fine tune it to your mods and atmospeheric conditions.
With that being said, hey **** when's the next tune? 😉
Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by 4080wrx
cool. sorry bout that. and couldnt agree more on the fine tuning with either option.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 AM

Would it be redundant to buy the AP and get an OS tune for it?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 AM

cool. sorry bout that. and couldnt agree more on the fine tuning with either option.
Haha. At first glance I thought you said, cool story bro!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by the_truth
Would it be redundant to buy the AP and get an OS tune for it?
im thinking yes it would be redundant. i dont think it can work that way. i believe its either or. because with my sti in order to go opensource for my next tune id need to unmarry the AP from my car.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 AM

oh ok. So much terminology to figure it out. Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 AM

Car Info: STI
Originally Posted by the_truth
oh ok. So much terminology to figure it out. Thanks
Yes. The AP is like buying Turbotax. Open source is like filling out all of the forms yourself.

If you're going to do it yourself, I'd get Turbota--meaning that you actually alter the tables for more power on your own. It has easier to use features--much much easier. If you're paying someone, it's up to you. Tuners like the AP because it makes their job easier. It does have several features (sort of like extra forms) that the normal IRS (open source) forms don't have. The Accessport really has evolved, and unless you use it, you won't understand all of its benefits.

But trust me when I say that you won't notice the difference if you have someone else do it for you.

Quick Reply: Open Source or AccessPort?