OMFG: The unthinkable has happened...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:21 AM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
OMFG: The unthinkable has happened...

FHI to withdraw from FIA WRC after 2008 season

Tokyo, December 16, 2008 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced the withdrawal from the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) at the end of the 2008 season.

FHI has participated in the WRC together with Prodrive, a motorsports and automotive engineering group in the UK, over the past 19 years to pursue its goal and philosophy in motor sports activities to enhance Subaru brand awareness by showing that Subaru vehicles offer safe, comfortable and pleasurable driving no matter the weather or road conditions, featuring Horizontally-Opposed engine and the Symmetrical All-Wheel drive system as its core technologies, and to transfer results of race-tested technical improvements into Subaru passenger vehicles.

Subaru has won three manufacturer's championship titles and three driver's championship titles in its history of rally racing. This has helped enhance the value of the Subaru brand as well as the sales expansion of Subaru vehicles all over the world.

FHI considers it has achieved its original target in WRC participation. However, while considering positioning the WRC activity in Subaru branding strategy towards the future, our business environment has been dramatically changed due to the quick deterioration of the global economy. In order to optimize the management resources and to strengthen further the Subaru brand, FHI decided to withdraw from WRC activities at the earliest timing.

As regards future involvement in rally activities, FHI will continue to support teams and drivers that participate in P-WRC or the Group N category.

President Mori commented that reaching this decision has been an extremely difficult task, not least with regards to the countless Subaru fans that for many years have cheered the legendary Subaru blue liveried Impreza World Rally Car; "We would like to express our sincere appreciation for our fans' strong and loyal support worldwide. They will remain an invaluable treasure for us."

Capitalizing on the priceless experience gained throughout the history in the WRC field, FHI will continue to offer Subaru customers products that integrate sheer excitement, safe, comfortable and reliable driving, respect of the global environment and peace of mind based on its philosophy of "Customer comes first."

About Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.

Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, is a leading manufacturer in Japan with a long history of technological innovations that dates back to its origin as an aircraft company. While the automotive business is a main business pillar, FHI's Aerospace, Industrial Products and Eco Technologies divisions offer a diverse range of products from general-purpose engines, power generators, and sanitation trucks to small airplanes, crucial components for passenger aircrafts, and wind-powered electricity generating systems. Recognized internationally for its AWD (all-wheel drive) technology and Horizontally-Opposed engines in Subaru, FHI is also spearheading the development of environmentally friendly products and is committed to contributing to global environmental preservation.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
FHI / Subaru must be doing really badly in this economy to drop out.

WRC is to Subaru as F1 is to Ferrari.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 AM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
Sad, but not totally unexpected...

I hope that one day,when business is better, they will make an eventual return.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Subaru dropped out, but 19 years of dominating netted them so many fanbois that it won't matter at all. Now they just get free advertising as plenty of the participants will still drive a Subaru.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
why lol
Old 12-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
well every one is dropping outta everything

~Honda drops out of Formula One racing
http://www.officialwire.com/main.php...82077&catid=36

~Honda drop out of AMA
http://www.carolenash.com/insidebike...out-of-ama.htm

~ Audi Drops out of 2009 American Le Mans Series http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6370...ies/index.html

~Porsche joins Audi and drops out of 2009 Le Mans http://blogs.internetautoguide.com/6...ans/index.html

Last edited by shaggadelic; 12-16-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 08 STi
Sad indeed. Especially for these two:

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk...heir%20options
Old 12-16-2008, 03:57 PM

Car Info: AWD Peanut "i" IMPRETZA
Yup, even SUZUKI joined them in dropping out of WRC. Sad to see participants dropping out after a long a rich history in WRC. Wonder if Mitsubishi will follow? HmmMMm.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 PM

Car Info: '00 Legacy GT Limited, '02 Virago
Originally Posted by dubyuHO4
Yup, even SUZUKI joined them in dropping out of WRC. Sad to see participants dropping out after a long a rich history in WRC. Wonder if Mitsubishi will follow? HmmMMm.
Mitsubishi is ahead of the game. I don't recall seeing any Mitsubishis running in 2008, at least in any point-scoring positions.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:23 PM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
Yeah, I think Mitsubishi pulled out last year, or the year before that. And I've yet to see a WRC EVOX.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 PM

Car Info: GC8 Type-R, BH5 Wangon Gen3 and 05 SV650 Naked!
wow 19 years... I sure hope when the economy goes up FHI returns to WRC. man
TIMES ARE HARD NOWDAYS!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Dammit, SUBARU out of the WRC is like kimchee fried rice without the kimchee, it just taste junk!! Maybe i should take off my WRC sticker now?? Hey Ryan, I got your text message and I'll give Kevin a call 2morrow morns. Weird though as I never got a call from him on my cell,even checked my history calls record and nothing..HmmMMm. That means I fired??

walt
Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 AM

Car Info: 2010 2.5i Steel Silver Legacy
Heh, that will leave ford at top position