New stereo for my WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:42 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
New stereo for my WRX?

I don't mind the sound of the stock 6-disc changer, it's just a hassle to use. It skips sometimes and only plays back certain CD-Rs. I also want an aux input for an iPod and, more importantly, would like a front USB input so I can play tunes off a thumb drive.

What do I need to be aware of when choosing a new stereo? Is the amp built in to the stock stereo (so I would need a high-power receiver or separate amp) or is the amp a separate piece (so I only need to have line level outputs)? Is there any particular shop that you would go to for the install or maybe more important, a shop that you wouldn't go to?

Thanks (again) for the help and advice.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:12 AM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
I recommend Revision Audio, His name is samson and he does great work. His work has been featured in local magazines and car shows. He takes great pride in his work.

http://www.revisionaudio.com
Old 04-03-2008, 02:44 AM

Car Info: the daddy van beatin da bass
check out crutchfield.com

they have a ton of info and a huge variety of decks. as far as installation goes(if your only doing a deck)do it yourself, if you order from them they will send you instructions on how, they will also send you the wiring harness for your particular car(which most places sell for $8 to $15), they also do free shipping for orders over $130(even to hawaii, I've had 11 subs, 3 decks, 3 amps, and 2 sets of door speakers sent to me and didnt pay one dime for shipping) and if you decide to order, IM me I can get you $20 off.
for your other question, almost all aftermarket decks have a built in amp(about 18 watts rms give or take) and preamp outputs although, you dont really need an amp unless youre running aftermarket speakers and/or a sub.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I usually go to www.crutchfield.com they give you all the connectors and harness thingie...plus instructions.

What's mentioned above may also be a good place, I just haven't used them.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
Solve all your problems by buying my Pioneer In-Dash DVD Player thats only been used for a year
Old 04-03-2008, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Thanks for the input, I was probably going to buy from Crutchfield, I just need something simple.

My bottom line question is this: how good is the stock 6-disc changer? It sounds OK to me, that's about all I need out of my stereo, sound-wise. I'm just worried that I'm going to buy a $300 Clarion or Pioneer head unit and get all the features that I want (USB and iPod input), but then I'm going to be disappointed by the sound quality. Is that a concern, or should any decent system sound OK?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
though each component of a sound system makes a difference of clarity...
there comes a point where each component is maxed out and starts distorting...
youll notice a bigger difference in sound quality if you get better speakers than just a deck. speakers make a ton of difference...especially if you go with components such as seperates or a tweeter woofer combination. Personally id spend the money on better speakers, but it does start with the source (deck).
Old 04-03-2008, 12:58 PM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
Originally Posted by houdni
though each component of a sound system makes a difference of clarity...
there comes a point where each component is maxed out and starts distorting...
youll notice a bigger difference in sound quality if you get better speakers than just a deck. speakers make a ton of difference...especially if you go with components such as seperates or a tweeter woofer combination. Personally id spend the money on better speakers, but it does start with the source (deck).
I agree with houdni...I upgraded my stock speakers, and it made a huge difference. DO IT

Last edited by Haole-Pino; 04-03-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Originally Posted by Haole-Pino
I agree with houdni...I upgraded my stock speakers, and it made a huge difference. DO IT
Yup, start from the deck, then speakers. If not enough, just upgrade with amp and sub later...
Old 04-03-2008, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
you have pm regarding stereo stuffs.......
Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Deck is pretty damned important...the speakers are next.

Really I like to do both at once so I'm in the wiring mood.

The stock system is pretty gabage if you think about what you could have if you just buy a mid-range deck and a set of good front separates.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:40 PM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
Considering how Subarus arent luxury cars, not much thought was put into the stock sound system. Subaru put their ideas and engineering into where it counts... the engine bay and suspension! I'm running Alpine CDA-9883 for deck and got Type-R components for the front with an amp like 3 months later. The deck made a huge difference but once i got the speakers, I could feel the sound quality improved.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:47 PM

Car Info: 05 cgm imp
i say deck is more important than speakers.
it really depends on the factory deck but most factory decks output only about 5-9 rms watts per channel, compared to 12 watts even with the cheapest 100 dollar sony stereo.

upgrading speakers first will improve but not as much as upgrading the stereo as long as the current speakers are decent.

not only it'll improve with watts, depending on the stereo you get, you can adjust pretty much everything instead of just "bass" and "treble".

though it may cost a bit more but i'd recommend getting a simple subwoofer and a stereo with high pass filter and sub controlls, most aftermarket comes with these unless you get really cheap ones.
with this, you can cut all the bass from the speakers and play highs only, thens you can turn up the volumn without bass distortion and let the sub play all the bass. your speakers will last alot longer at high volumn and it'll sound much, much better even as stock speakers because they arent trying to play bass at the same time.

i've always liked pioneer, they have great sound adjustments and very simple to use especially if you get the OEL screen ones. one set back, i hate, HATE their single **** navigation...i like their old ones, dual ***** ftw.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:23 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
you guys have to know this already come on........YOUR STEREO IS ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR WEAKEST COMPONENT!! you want solid sounds your gonna have to go with solid components period....
Old 04-04-2008, 12:50 AM

Car Info: 2021 Crosstrek Sport
Originally Posted by alienbreed69
you guys have to know this already come on........YOUR STEREO IS ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR WEAKEST COMPONENT!! you want solid sounds your gonna have to go with solid components period....
My thoughts exactly. If you want premium sound, you have to buy quality components. I upgraded my entire system. Cost me about $1200 for everything. I did the install myself so that saved me about $300. I got a Pioneer Premier DEH-P490IB Deck w/ iPod cable included for $145, Infinity Kappa 60.7CS 2 way 6.5" Components (front) $155, Infinity Kappa 62.7i 2 way loudspeakers (rear) $80. Price w/ shipping came out to about $415 from Amazon.com. Everything was brand new and I got it a few days after I ordered it. Not to mention the 5 channel, 750watt Kicker ZX7005 Amp that I picked up for only $325 also from Amazon.com (Stereo shops here were quoting me $500+ for this amp). The only thing I purchased from a local Car Audio shop here was my Kicker Comp DC12 Sub (box included). I forget how much I got it for exactly but it was cheaper than anything I could find online. All in all, I got an amazing setup that didn't burn a hole in my wallet. It just took some time and research to get great prices on quality components. It all depends on what you want and how much cash you're willing to put into it.

Quick Reply: New stereo for my WRX?