New to Island (Oahu) and Need Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Car Info: 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Aspen White
New to Island (Oahu) and Need Help Please

First I would like to say hello everyone. Been on Oahu for a couple of months and love it here!

I really could use some assistance. I have an '06 Subaru STi and I am pretty sure I have a spun rod bearing. The problem I am having is that I am quite new to the island and do not know any reputable shops to take it to for repairs. I called the Subaru dealership near Pearl Harbor and the guy told me it would cost in the area of about $8000.00 to fix. That is outrageous in my opinion. I can get the parts required for the fix. Just need a shop to put the parts in. I appreciate any input you might have on the situation.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and take care!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by sean06scooby
First I would like to say hello everyone. Been on Oahu for a couple of months and love it here!

I really could use some assistance. I have an '06 Subaru STi and I am pretty sure I have a spun rod bearing. The problem I am having is that I am quite new to the island and do not know any reputable shops to take it to for repairs. I called the Subaru dealership near Pearl Harbor and the guy told me it would cost in the area of about $8000.00 to fix. That is outrageous in my opinion. I can get the parts required for the fix. Just need a shop to put the parts in. I appreciate any input you might have on the situation.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and take care!
First off, welcome to teh Aina! Thats land in Hawaiian just FYI lol...Sorry to hear about your STi. I would say if you want to save money, I would reccommend Chad/Spinplay, thats if he's now busy and he has alot on his hands.Pay him good cuz the feedback i hear from other subie owners that used and abused him for his "SERVICES" was nothing short of Excellent! 2nd, you can go to Sonic Motorsports. I hear they are pretty well versed in the Flat 4 world.

Im assuming your short on time so I take it that rebuilding the motor on your own time is not a option.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 AM

Thank you for the reply. A few buddies I work with were going to rebuild my short block but when I was searching for tech manuals for the EJ257 I could not find them. Wanted a manual that would tell me torque specs and that sort of thing.

I will ask Chad/Spinplay. I looked for members named Spinplay... So i am assuming it is Spinplay01? If that does not work out I will check out Sonic Motorsports.

I will be ordering a short block from Import Image tomorrow I think.

Again.. Thanks so much for the reply. I really want to get this bad boy running so I can go to some meets here in Hawaii.

Last edited by sean06scooby; 09-13-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Yeah, thats him. Spinplay01=chad. GLWIA(good luck with it all)
Old 09-13-2011, 06:47 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by sean06scooby

Again.. Thanks so much for the reply. I really want to get this bad boy running so I can go to some meets here in Hawaii.
Haha, no need a Suby to come out to the meets. I just went to this past Friday's one with my Lexus
Old 09-13-2011, 10:37 PM

Car Info: car
subaru motors are the easiest to pull out and reinstall... if you and your friends were confident enough in thinking of rebuilding the short block, you should have no problems installing a the new on one someone's driveway... if you can wait a month i do this kinda work for a small fee
Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 PM

Car Info: 1989 Honda Civic, 11ʻ R1 & 09ʻ GSXR600
^^^what Jimmy Said...I could help out too...Honestly I would just by a new block unless you are going to out aftermarket pistons. Shops down here aren't really Subaru Savvy.

Sonic's? hahaha.....My friends 350z has been sitting there for about 4 months now. The New Motor has been sitting next to the car for about 2 months. Guess What? His car hasn't been touched yet. My friend said taking his car to Sonic's was a Big Mistake.

if you are looking for a new block...Flatironstuning.com has some good prices. If you are going to rebuild it, please change everything that oil flows through. Many guys forget to change their Oil Cooler and 2 weeks later....BOOM!!!! Another Motor Bites the Dust.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:35 AM

Thanks everyone. Chad/Spinplay came out and looked at it today. I am going that route. He gave me what I think is a pretty fair price and a substantially less amount than the subaru dealership quoted me.

@Bran808
As far as the meets go. I agree that I may not need a subaru to go to one, but I do need a car to go to one, haha.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
Sonics has time management problems...
Good mechanics, but things tend to sit around for months.
Wish things were different there, but oh well.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Car Info: Many WRX's & STi 02-11
I can verify your problem, get you a new 2.5L core and change the short block for you. I garuntee my work and it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than any shop. I'm needing something to keep me busy right now anyways.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:53 AM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Is this the same Sonic Motorports from long, long ago? (down by cooke st) Eric or something was the owner? Was mainly a VW shop back then if thats the same.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by sigterm
Is this the same Sonic Motorports from long, long ago? (down by cooke st) Eric or something was the owner? Was mainly a VW shop back then if thats the same.
Yup, Eric Jensen owned it, it was on Lana Lane. I worked there for a few years when it was a VW only shop.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
Originally Posted by corytomo
Yup, Eric Jensen owned it, it was on Lana Lane. I worked there for a few years when it was a VW only shop.
Hontoni! If I could find parking, I liked hanging around there. Eric and Ryan was always cool to talk to. In fact, I was first exposed to Subarus there. There was a guy with a white GC w/vanity plates "RUH-RO" that used to hang around there.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:54 PM

yeah, that was a really really fun place to work. it was talking about cars and racing all day.. wish i could do that again.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Yea, those were some fun times, I had my vw's down there quite a bit back in the day. Eric was pretty cool as well, helped me tons with my noob ideas. Wish he would of turned me away on a few of them

Quick Reply: New to Island (Oahu) and Need Help Please