Lift the ban on consumer fireworks!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 01:47 AM

Car Info: 2011 wrx
Lift the ban on consumer fireworks!!

This new yeas has been a little disappointing. Im not one to go watch fireworks nor am i one that wants the super loud artillery shells that fricken blow up the sky (they are cool tho) but i do enjoy my family and simple fireworks to have fun

http://www.change.org/petitions/lift...eworks-on-oahu
Old 01-02-2012, 12:29 AM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
couldn't agree more. Was very different this year....
Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Yeah, we have a big family get together at my sister-in-law's house every year. This year it was weird without fireworks - not that I don't enjoy getting together with the family but it just wasn't the same. We were kind of standing around, I looked at my watch and saw that it was only 10:00 PM and things were already starting to wind down. I then realized that in previous years, we'd be outside, watching the kids play with fireworks, having a beer and a cigar. Without the fireworks, it was just another get-together.

I don't care for the huge explosions that rock my house almost every day after Thanksgiving, but there has to be some middle ground, some way to respect local tradition without going zero tolerance.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
KEEP the ban until people here learn to clean up their own mess.

The streets and parking lots are so much cleaner now.
Back in 2008, my first year here, I was appalled by the lack of common courtesy and civil duty of cleaning up after yourself. Every residential street was totally covered with fireworks refuse....for weeks.

It made me sick. Never in my life had I seen such inclusive agreeance to being littering sacks of ****.

For what purpose? To make a little noise? To see some flashing colors?

Buy a stereo and disco ball.

Keep the mess off the streets.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Thats it. Everything I was going to say has been said. Thank you.

Originally Posted by spinplay01

Back in 2008, my first year here, I was appalled by the lack of common courtesy and civil duty of cleaning up after yourself. Every residential street was totally covered with fireworks refuse....for weeks.

It made me sick. Never in my life had I seen such inclusive agreeance to being littering sacks of ****.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Good points on people keeping it clean. That needs to be part of the tradition, I know it was when I was young....er. I did although enjoy my first new years on Oahu because driving through all the smoke was pretty sweet and people like to go BIG here as compared to Colorado or Virginia.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I'd have to check with our more ethnically correct Chinese members but I faintly remember a tradition or something that its good luck to have all the red paper from the firecrackers all over your lawn. So that might be why some don't clean up...they had just kind of let that spread to all other fireworks.

But yeah, your guys' New Years Eve sounds like it was pretty boring.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
i don't know about you guys but ewa beach was rocking from 9 to 1!!! but yes, it's not the same without the kids playing with the sparklers and all. sorry but i'm pro-fireworks...not the ones that kill and maim, just the fun small ones. =)
Old 01-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
my area was also going off! then again i still had left over fireworks hahahahahaha (legal ones that were legal before) but now there illegal.... we did have one morning glory that the kids play with go BOOM hahaha
Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by spinplay01

I agree with the clean up but disagree with a total ban. my wife's family in Kalihi would light fireworks from all day on New Years Eve till the early morning hours of New Years day. And then like clock work right around 1 a.m the clean up begins. It's like watching human street sweepers in action.

I have to admit it was different this past 4th of July when we were home. Luckily we are in the Philippines currently and we got all the fireworks we wanted. The good stuff too!!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
I'm glad that there were less fireworks this year, but an all out ban seemed a bit much. Especially since the aerials were already illegal.
The red firecrackers are a good luck tradition, and you're supposed to leave the paper in your lawn. Having it out on the street though, that's rude, and having bleeding red paper all over your car the next day sucks!