I survived the 2010 Tsunami!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:44 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
I survived the 2010 Tsunami!

I woke up with a phone call early in the morning and heard the news.
My father in law was calling and my wife got worried as Ewa Beach residents were being evacuated. Of course we asked them to stay at our house till the warning was over..

I took precautions like buying gas for my generator and filling up water jugs with water and bought food in case of black out and watched the news.

Just glad it wasnt worse than it was....
I also survived hurricane iwa and iniki,
Old 02-27-2010, 06:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Glad to hear everyone and everything are OK!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:40 PM

Car Info: 2013 WRX (wagonmafia)
wow iwa too? oldschool ah!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Man...you know I know it sounds bad but I am always a little disappointed when some of these things turn out to be nothing. I work for the Red Cross and because of that I am trained in multiple disaster response jobs: http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/...extfmt=default

Basically meaning I can either supervise a shelter, set up a shelter or manage logistics for shelters...plus First Aid, CPR and AED. But in the 5 years that I've been being trained for this, I have never actually used any of these skills other than like putting on a band-aid.

Every time that there's a big disaster, I can't go because I am either busy doing my normal job (I can't be deployed from like mid-Summer to December) or am not trained for the specific need (Haiti). I keep telling my boss "One of these days, I'm going to the show!" but it just never happens. Its pretty much to the point where I can't keep moving up in our Disaster Services HR system until I actually do something more than just a local shelter.

But anyways, glad no one got hurt.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB
that's good news everyone is safe.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 PM

Car Info: GC8 Type-R, BH5 Wangon Gen3 and 05 SV650 Naked!
its not over yet Cali is next or maybe Mexico? but the killed one is Cali, and it might just happen all in 2010.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:08 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Just out of curiousity, do they have you folks in hawaii on alert still. I was just on the usgs site, and it looks like chile has had over 20 aftershocks all 5.0 or bigger.

I bet **** is so ****ed up down there, hopefully it calms down for them soon.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 2002 Legacy GT Wagon
Originally Posted by bpang1
Man...you know I know it sounds bad but I am always a little disappointed when some of these things turn out to be nothing. I work for the Red Cross and because of that I am trained in multiple disaster response jobs: http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/...extfmt=default

Basically meaning I can either supervise a shelter, set up a shelter or manage logistics for shelters...plus First Aid, CPR and AED. But in the 5 years that I've been being trained for this, I have never actually used any of these skills other than like putting on a band-aid.

Every time that there's a big disaster, I can't go because I am either busy doing my normal job (I can't be deployed from like mid-Summer to December) or am not trained for the specific need (Haiti). I keep telling my boss "One of these days, I'm going to the show!" but it just never happens. Its pretty much to the point where I can't keep moving up in our Disaster Services HR system until I actually do something more than just a local shelter.

But anyways, glad no one got hurt.
i appreciate the work you do, even if it's not for a big emergency. what really ticks me though is people that take the system for granted. it's when you become complacent and decide that the next one won't be a big deal because the last one was a false alarm that it turns out for the worst. i'm glad hawaii got lucky in this situation, but just because it was small time this time doesn't mean you shouldn't take the next one seriously.. nature won't care if you're at the beach or not..