HIIC Hike this month

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:29 PM

Car Info: '00 Legacy GT Limited, '02 Virago
HIIC Hike this month

HIIC Hike Club - Part 8 - Manoa Falls Trail

We haven't had a club hike in a looong time, and with the holidays in full swing I'm sure we can all use a little workout. So here's a fun, popular little hike for us to tackle.

When: Sunday, 21 December 2008
Time: 0800, meet up at Manoa Valley Safeway parking lot @ East Manoa Road & Huapala Street (across the street from Starbucks, see attachment "Safeway.zip"). From there we will drive to the trailhead, and hopefully we can park in front of the Tree Tops Restaurant (see picture).

A short valley hike into the far reaches of lush Manoa Valley to the widely popular waterfall and pool. While you shouldn't expect to swim any laps in the pool, it is deep enough to take a nice full-body dip. This is also a very popular trail, so expect plenty of other people on the trail, and in the parking.

One-way: 0.8 miles
Difficulty: Novice Danger: Low
Starts in: Paradise Park, Tree Tops Restaurant parking lot (see attached picture).

http://www.backyardoahu.com/mnoa1.htm

Be careful: A posted sign at the parking lot immediately fronting the trailhead warns of the high-theft area and recommends parking elsewhere.

The trail can be extremely slippery due to the muddy rocks and boulders you step on and over. While this trail has "smooth", level stretches with good traction, there are sections where the footing is uneven and slick. While most of the muddy footpath is layered with gravel for better traction, the area has been having plenty of rain, so proper hiking footwear is recommended.

Because of the theft advisory and trail popularity, we should probably carpool from Safeway to the trailhead like it was Mariner's Ridge.

original post:
I want to gauge the interest for an HIIC hike this month or next. We haven't had one in a long time, and I'm sure that people aren't exercising more to make up for holiday festivities! Even a mellow hike like Manoa Falls would do anyone good.
Attached Thumbnails HIIC Hike this month-overview.jpg   HIIC Hike this month-trailhead_parking.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Safeway.zip (336.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by AndyR; 12-16-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Adding details
Old 12-02-2008, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 02' wrb wrx w/ RGII
i'd be interested..depends on date/time. past hikes were always on a drill weekend preventin me from going. keep us posted
Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
You know I'm always down Andy!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
Hey you know, hiking is fun.

I don't come out enough so maybe i'll try to make it out to this one if there is one. I wouldn't mind some exercise - holiday season has taken a toll on my belly! :d

I hope I can make the date/time.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX "Wagon"
Manoa Falls Sounds good. Set a date Andy.....Oh....thanks for the stickers
Old 12-02-2008, 10:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
thanks for posting this Andy! again, with the holiday season in full swing, and as long as we don't have any major weather delays in the mainland, i should be able to make it...did you have any dates set yet???
Old 12-03-2008, 12:04 AM

Autocross is on the 14th, so that's out... either the 21st or the 28th should be good, neither is too close to Christmas. Unless this conflicts for anyone who's interested, I'll tentatively go for the 21st at 8am.
Excuse me for nicking Ted's style here, but...:

HIIC Hike Club - Part 8 - Manoa Falls Trail

We haven't had a club hike in a looong time, and with the holidays in full swing I'm sure we can all use a little workout. So here's a fun, popular little hike for us to tackle.

Time: 0800, meet up at Manoa Valley Starbucks @ East Manoa Road & Huapala Street.

A short valley hike into the far reaches of lush Manoa Valley to the widely popular waterfall and pool. While you shouldn't expect to swim any laps in the pool, it is deep enough to take a nice full-body dip. This is also a very popular trail, so expect plenty of other people on the trail, and in the parking.

One-way: 0.8 miles
Difficulty: Novice Danger: Low
Starts in: Paradise Park

http://www.backyardoahu.com/mnoa1.htm

Be careful: A posted sign at the parking lot immediately fronting the trailhead warns of the high-theft area and recommends parking elsewhere.

The trail can be extremely slippery due to the muddy rocks and boulders you step on and over. While this trail has "smooth", level stretches with good traction, there are sections where the footing is uneven and slick. While most of the muddy footpath is layered with gravel for better traction, the area has been having plenty of rain, so proper hiking footwear is recommended.

(because of the theft advisory and trail popularity, we should probably carpool from Starbucks to the trailhead like it was Mariner's Ridge. I'll probably check out the trail this weekend or sooner to see the conditions first-hand, and update the trail description if needed.)
Old 12-09-2008, 11:16 AM

Car Info: Silver Subaru WRX 2005 (STI wing and interior)
Charlie and I might go, but we'll see how we are feeling. Keep you updated =)

nice plans though, good job!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
I haven't done that hike in a long time, It's fun, but watch out for the mosquitos and dengue fever Lately it's been rainy too, so you should expect it to be rather slippery and very muddy.

Have fun guys.

Ooh, another kinda fun trail to try was from waahila ridge then down into manoa valley, It starts at the end of the official waahila ridge trail then splits downward into the valley, you finish near the chinese graveyard.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the bump, the hike is a week and a half from now. I did check out the trail and much of it is a gravel path, but shoes with tread on them are still recommended. The trail isn't difficult either. It goes gently uphill the entire way, and only took me 22 minutes to get to the waterfall.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:46 PM

Exclamation

Bada-

The hike is only six days away now, hopefully it will get a little drier this weekend than last. I'm just going to say though, that unless it is raining while we are hiking, it can't be any worse than anything we've already done before (e.g. Mauniwili Falls).
Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 PM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
Sorry Andy, I probably wont make this one. But I've done it many times, so I'm not missing much.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:50 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by AndyR
Bada-

The hike is only six days away now, hopefully it will get a little drier this weekend than last. I'm just going to say though, that unless it is raining while we are hiking, it can't be any worse than anything we've already done before (e.g. Mauniwili Falls).
...or hawaii loa ridge, where you get really muddy getting to the top...lol. i might just make this hike. so far so good. and where do we park again?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:16 PM

I edited the first post, does this clarify things?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by AndyR
I edited the first post, does this clarify things?
gotcha...

Time: 0800, meet up at Manoa Valley Safeway parking lot @ East Manoa Road & Huapala Street (across the street from Starbucks, see attachment "Safeway.zip"). From there we will drive to the trailhead, and hopefully we can park in front of the Tree Tops Restaurant (see picture).

Quick Reply: HIIC Hike this month