Goodies from the UPS man!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 10:57 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Talking Goodies from the UPS man!

Got back from a few days at sea today and had a couple "presents" waiting for me. In the next few weeks (starting tomorrow if I have time) the Legacy's suspension will be undergoing a bit of a transformation.

Back in January before I deployed I special ordered some Koni inserts, so those showed up while I was gone. In the past few weeks I've also ordered (and received) some Noltec C/C plates, Ground Control coil-overs (325f/280r), and a variety of Whiteline bits (HD rear swaybar mounts, rear diff carriage lock bolts and bushings, and steering rack bushings). I also ordered some Energy Suspension poly front swaybar bushings, but haven't received those yet. I'm not even sure they'll fit - they're designed for a stock WRX bar, and I'm hoping they'll match up to my Whiteline front bar (they should based on my measurements, but there's only one way to find out!).

I'm hoping I'll have time to get over to the Hobby Shop tomorrow to install some of the bushings. The strut inserts and GCs will most likely wait a few weeks until my Mustang is out here, so I can take the Subie off the road to get everything done.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Old 09-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Just like Christmas!
Old 09-19-2003, 11:48 PM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
cool beans, Pat! Just in time for then next auto X!
Old 09-20-2003, 12:50 AM

Oh, I knew I was forgetting something on my list - I also have an ALK to install (with comfort bushings).

I'm hoping all this will make the car handle noticeably better, but still be civilized on the street. We shall see. I've been very happy with the Konis on my Mustang - excellent performance, but the ride is surprisingly smooth, even with springs that are about 70% firmer than stock. The magic of good damping!

Pat
Old 09-20-2003, 04:00 PM

ALK is in, hopefully I didn't hose up my alignment too bad. Half the steering rack bushing kit is in - the driver side one is going to be a cast iron ***** to install, so that will wait until later. Also got the rear diff cradle bushings installed.

Even with only 1 of the 2 steering rack bushings installed the steering is noticeably sharper. The little bit of extra caster from the ALK probably helps in that regards, too. Nose lift under acceleration does seem reduced, but that could be a placebo effect - it's not something I've ever really bothered to note, so I don't know if it's really less than it was before or not.

We'll see how she feels at the auto-x tomorrow. Of course, I haven't auto-x'd the car in, what? 10 months? Kinda tough to compare performance after that long.

Pat