Debadging and paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 11:32 AM

Debadging and paint chips

I already debadged the S U B A R U on my STi and I'm thinking over some additional debadging options based on the risk of someone doing it for me.

I know some people have the STi badge on the back of their WRXs and the STi grill.

Has anyone had any of the following debadged by *Fill in the blank* people.

1) rear WRX logo
2) rear STi logo
3) front STi logo (on STi grill)

My other questions relates to paint chips. I had some of the wagon, but because it was silver they were easy to ignore. Now that i have a Blue car I notice them more.

How does everyone else deal with these? I've never had luck with touch up paint (perhaps I just don't know how to apply). I know there is protective film, but no plans for that. Is there a good place that can fix up small paint chips or does everyone just live with them.

I continue to be disappointed in the Subaru paint job as I already have 2-3 paint chips from rocks. My 4 year old 4Runner barely has any and most paint flaws were accidents with the keys, etc..
Old 06-13-2003, 11:38 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
You know Tim, I removed everything but the SUBARU lettering and I must say that if I had to do it again, I will have it done by someone else and would gladly pay. It's a pain in the butt.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
tim,

i use a color match wax that comes with a what they call a chip stick. basically what it looks like to me is blue lipstick and you use it to fill in the chips or scratches then you put the blue wax over it and then buff it out. it works really good with fine scrathes and it does ok with the chips. my only complaint is the chip stick is a little darker blue than the wrb.

Jess
Old 06-13-2003, 12:21 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
I removed all but the STI on the trunk, was a *****, but arent you asking what happens when some punk does it for you? Maybe reading too much into the question, but are you looking for what damage can occur? I know some people talked about removing all the badges so no one would want to steal them and mess the car up.

No chips yet, but not a lot of driving either.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:50 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
using a 'goo gone' type spray on the badges, ... and then using dental floss to remove the badges is pretty easy, ... or I've used a thin plastic putty knife to take them off.

On a new car, it is much easier to take them off, imo.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
a hair dryer helps a bit to soften the adhesive too... If only my wife was girly enough to own a hair dryer I'd have less badges too!
Old 06-13-2003, 02:04 PM

dental floss and wd-40 works wonders
Old 06-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
My dark blue (Spectra Blue Metallic) IS300 had touch-up paint all over it! Apply it when hot, with a toothpick to fill small chips and just forget it's there. Look over it the next time you wash the car and it won't seem nearly as bad!
Old 06-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
P.S. The paint on my WRX has less chips in it than my Lexus IS300 did at the 12-month mark.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the replies on the paint. On the debadging I meant when a punk removes it (i.e. trying to decide if I should remove it before it is removed by a vandal).

I've already heard of STi owners on the mainland having their STi logos remove. I figured if it didn't say vtec I was okay here.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:07 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Originally posted by mehlt
Thanks for the replies on the paint. On the debadging I meant when a punk removes it (i.e. trying to decide if I should remove it before it is removed by a vandal).

I've already heard of STi owners on the mainland having their STi logos remove. I figured if it didn't say vtec I was okay here.
I can just imagine what a screwdriver taking the STi logo off would look like. Im close to taking mine off, heck if someone cant tell its an STI from looking at it they dont deserve to know. Let em think you put a huge dorky scoop on it and a huge tail. Had a guy look at it today and shake his head, I think it was a "damn thats a dorky huge scoop" look... Be nice to go FMIC and lose the scoop.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:55 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Originally posted by Nolimit
using a 'goo gone' type spray on the badges, ... and then using dental floss to remove the badges is pretty easy, ... or I've used a thin plastic putty knife to take them off.

On a new car, it is much easier to take them off, imo.

I did it that way. With WAXED floss and goo gone. Get a terry cloth towell and dab with goo gone and rub the sticky stuff out. Then for better results, use a clay bar, paint cleaner, polish and then wax it. Worked like a charm, nothing harmed.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
I tried the WD-40 and had no joy. Of course, mine was a few months old and had hardened wax around it. I would definitely buy some goo gone before hand, because getting the sticky off was hard. the badges came of mine with very little effort.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:46 PM

Car Info: white 03 sedan
it's simple...i debadged the S U B A R U on my own and it looks like it came that way...all you need is some fishing line, any kind of cloth, and some lacker thinner.

first, remove letters by sliding the fishing line between the letters and the trunk. Next, pour some lacker thinner on the cloth and apply it to the sticky stuff. (note: only use lacker thinner if it's factory paint because it will not remove factory clear coat) And all you have to do after that is just rub it off with your finger. It will come right off. Polishing or waxing afterwards is good also
Old 06-15-2003, 11:59 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Lacker thinner does not harm factory clear coat. I've done it

Quick Reply: Debadging and paint chips