CV Boot??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
1. I did buy a kit with bands, snap rings, and grease
2. I am on a scale of 1-10 a 5 in terms of being mechanically inclined
3. Sorry I didnt take my car to the Auto shop and break out a fine tooth comb to find out what parts my car has on it from when I bought it. I guess maybe I should pull apart my block next just to make everyone happy. Gimme a friggin break ya'll. I dont have time or cash to do all the stuff I would love to do.
4. Still though I appreciate input from everyone on my current issue....so thx
5. I checked everyting else and the only things that I can see that I need to address at this time on my car is. A missing Downpipe Bolt, a missing midpipe bolt, Inner CV Joint Boot, and check to see if I have a vf39 supporting fuel pump, and my hood misalignment.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:47 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
don't get your panties all in a bunch. we are giving you the information you need. maybe not in the nice little neat package that you're expecting. If you want to LEARN about your car then do just that. don't expect to post something like this knowing absolutely nothing about your car or what's on your car and think that people won't say something. grow some thicker skin. I wasn't being a jerk or an *** or any other word you can think of to sum up my answers to your posting. I speak for myself and no one else. think of me as you wish but if you can't get past some criticism or harsh realities of the situation then I can guarantee you won't learn anything. No one or at least me isn't expecting you tear down the engine in order for you to find out what's on your car... just do a little bit of research on YOUR car to know where you stand. So what if you have a missing bolt or a missing stud on your down pipe. that wasn't the issue. people are genuinely trying to help you out... plain and simple.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 PM

Car Info: VF39'd EWG bugeye/ 99' Miata

Last edited by die_lawn; 07-05-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 PM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
These guys speak from experience not heresay. Perhaps you will realize it after you see how unecessary disassembling/reassembling the CV is instead of simply removing/installing the entire axle (something you have to do anyway). I've never disassembled a Subaru axle before but I've built/rebuilt several FSAE axles and it is no fun. The spring clip can be a real *****.

btw, I noticed that you lost a bit of grease and you don't know how long this has been this way. The grease not only lubricates but it helps dissipate heat. Also, water and grit might have mixed into the grease. The bearing surfaces may be damaged and you may be doing all this for nothing. Just another reason to get a new axle.

Last edited by markpaco; 07-05-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:57 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
my vote is for going to oreilleys and getting a rebuilt axle for $120ish.
i've rebuilt tons of axles, and the amount of work required is worth the extra $100.
plus, half the axles started making noise because of the dirt that got into the cv joint in the duration it was ripped.
you also need a special tool to get the snap ring on correctly, which is another pain.
if you're a 5 out of 10 mechanically inclined, i would go for the entire axle... its easier that way.
replacing the boot takes an 8 out of 10 - remove axle, pull shaft from cv, clean everything, put boot on shaft, fill with grease, make sure clamp is on GOOD (or it'll pull off and ruin it all), get shaft back into cv joint, which requires some skill because of the snap ring, put clamp on cv joint side, reinstall.
while replacing the axle is two steps instead.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
not entirely just two steps but yes it's a lot easier to replace the axle instead of servicing it. The time taken to replace an axle (about 30 minutes) will take you about an hour (for an experienced type with the proper tools) or 2~4 hours for an unexperienced person with general tools.

The rebuilt axles come with new axle nuts and spring pins so that also adds to your savings
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 PM

I totally agree with everyone's answer on a new axle but I honestly cannot afford it. I cant even collect free money for me to hop on the Auto X band wagon...even after the military rebate. Imma have to go the hard way. I have been borrowing tools here and there and reading/ and watching informational videos, So hopefully I can pull it off with no other problems.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by PSBeachBum
I totally agree with everyone's answer on a new axle but I honestly cannot afford it. I cant even collect free money for me to hop on the Auto X band wagon...even after the military rebate. Imma have to go the hard way. I have been borrowing tools here and there and reading/ and watching informational videos, So hopefully I can pull it off with no other problems.
It'll be a great way to learn about your car regardless, much more labor, but it can be rewarding! Read up on the FAQ's on doing it so you don't make mistakes that will require a new axle/brake line/caliper/trans/etc. Also, clean out the old grease... and I mean all of it, you don't want contamination.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:45 AM

Car Info: 04 ts wagon
hmm, fix car properly and easily...or...jump on the autocross bandwagon...? can't autocross without a car...best of luck with your decisions brother...
Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 AM

Car Info: VF39'd EWG bugeye/ 99' Miata
What is this Auto X bandwagon you speak of? All of us that go actually love our cars and test the limits with them. If you're gonna come out just to be a poser and say you've done it then don't bother. Some of us actually enjoy it and don't do it because of it being a fad
Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
You totally can do this if you are a 5 out of 10 mechanic.
The inner CV is easier to service than the outer one.

Took me only an hour to rebuild the inner CV and I kept the axle in the hub and only popped it off transmission side.

The only two types of half specialty tools you will need are snap ring pliers and a band clamp tool.

I pretty much did the same thing as this guy minus removing the axle nut to free the axle. For some that may be easier. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...le-108975.html

Also be aware that the 3 rings are tapered a certain way when taking them off note how they are positioned and replace them the same way when re-installing.

If ordering the cv boot clamps from Subaru, get two of the larger ones. The smaller sized one I had a harder time trying to get the tool to pull it.

However in your case IDK how long you were driving with the boot torn so you'll need to inspect the casing and bearings (the three rings) for wear and scoring.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM

That was a horrifying experience. 2 hrs to get it done and I screwed up twice. At least I learned a thing or two
Old 07-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX sedan
That was a horrifying experience. 2 hrs to get it done and I screwed up twice. At least I learned a thing or two
Haha, I always do that. Something that should take about an hour, I end up taking 6. Then there's a bolt or two left over.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:58 PM

its never a waste if you learn a few things from it! now you see why we recommend changing the entire axle
Old 07-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Yea. My biggest learning experience is keeping my gloves not greasy so I can handle the axle. Them splines effed my hands up hardcore. I'm all cut up

Quick Reply: CV Boot??