i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Hawaii (https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-43/)
-   -   Cusco 6pt Roll Cage (https://www.i-club.com/forums/hawaii-43/cusco-6pt-roll-cage-80609/)

STiNightFall 11-23-2004 09:17 PM

Cusco 6pt Roll Cage

anyone intrested in a Cusco 6pt roll cage, going to have couple come in, and wondering if anyone wants to jump on this, $925 shipped to hawaii any 11 second cars out there?? *cough* nate, carlos *cough*

silver satin 11-23-2004 09:59 PM

Those cages I have been informed are just for show unless you know otherwise. Please let us know.

STiNightFall 11-23-2004 10:12 PM

yeah yeah, i know haha, but it does serve a purpose, like the bling factor yO

silver satin 11-23-2004 11:08 PM

Well then I'll take two...

1codeRED 11-23-2004 11:14 PM

can they fit into a wrx wagon without cutting or taking off any of the interior?

kscsentragtr 11-23-2004 11:17 PM

yeah do you have to cut any interior pieces for this??? and if i get this does it mean i cant have any backseat passengers???

STI808 11-23-2004 11:42 PM

very nice and light weight cage!! too bad I am selling my car already

oldmansan 11-24-2004 12:05 AM

Every thread

I've read about the Cusco 6-pt or 7-pt cage has said the same thing, they are not "real" roll cages. That is, they are not certified and will not provide protection one would associate with a roll cage. If you need the "bling" factor, you could probably tape together some paper towel rolls and cover them with aluminum foil. As long as you wrap the foil smoothly, they should look good.

San

STiNightFall 11-24-2004 12:22 AM

well, the cage might not be as strong as some custom made one which directs to each actual point onto the car, but this cage should put some sort of protection. you also save a lot of weight for its only 50 pounds total, made out of very lightweight aluminum. a custom made cage would well be over 150 pounds

oldmansan 11-24-2004 12:37 AM

I personally

would want at least 4130 or better chromolly steel for a rollcage. Just me. Aluminum is stiff, but doesn't handle stresses well. When it fails, it fails catastrophically. Not a material I'd use for a rollcage. I'd rather use a material that will bend slightly rather than fail.

San

.:: 808 STi ::. 11-24-2004 12:52 AM

i thought of getting one....but i kinda dont want the damn thing taking up space in my car...hahahaha

STI808 11-24-2004 01:11 AM

I had roll cage on MR2 before and it made my car handle better. I really like the Cusco cage but they didn't made for T-Top MR2. I don't think Cusco cage will give space problem. The way they design are almost perfect around inside of your car. It should have problem getting in and out of your car.
I still remember girls can't wear skirts getting in my MR2 when my cage was install. HAHAHAHA

gdogg 11-24-2004 01:15 AM

[QUOTE=oldmansan]would want at least 4130 or better chromolly steel for a rollcage. Just me. Aluminum is stiff, but doesn't handle stresses well. When it fails, it fails catastrophically. Not a material I'd use for a rollcage. I'd rather use a material that will bend slightly rather than fail.

San[/QUOTE]
point well taken- not that i plan on crashing, but i seen the subaru in car vid of their last crash in WRC. that top portion bent right near mills head...
when you say 4130 chromolly steel... what other metals are included?
(not all important, just curious.)

[color=lime][size=1]aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*[/color][/size]

keirnna 11-24-2004 01:24 AM

[QUOTE=oldmansan]I've read about the Cusco 6-pt or 7-pt cage has said the same thing, they are not "real" roll cages. That is, they are not certified and will not provide protection one would associate with a roll cage. If you need the "bling" factor, you could probably tape together some paper towel rolls and cover them with aluminum foil. As long as you wrap the foil smoothly, they should look good.

San[/QUOTE]

Bling bling is a bunch or BS. I want a real cage if I am going to spend the money to get one. San you are the master of knowledge! :) Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

keirnna 11-24-2004 01:25 AM

[QUOTE=STiNightFall]well, the cage might not be as strong as some custom made one which directs to each actual point onto the car, but this cage should put some sort of protection. you also save a lot of weight for its only 50 pounds total, made out of very lightweight aluminum. a custom made cage would well be over 150 pounds[/QUOTE]

You know what some protections is worth? Absolutley nothing. Plain lap belts offer some protection, but they also cut you in half in a high speed crash.