Crucial Racing steering quickener

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 08:53 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Crucial Racing steering quickener

I'm installing my Crucial Racing steering quickener tomorrow at Vakamon. Just posting in case anyone is interested. I'll be there around 10:00-10:30 a.m. This quickener takes the WRX from 3 turns to 2 turns lock to lock. The WRX is 16.5:1 stock, Crucial quickener takes it to 11:1. I'll post up the results. Koyo radiator, Crucial radiator shroud, thermostat, radiator cap and Samco radiator hoses up next.

San
Old 07-22-2005, 09:35 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Wow... I might drop by to learn something and have a look...
Old 07-22-2005, 09:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I'll try to be there...do you need an extra hand? I'll bring my crappy shirt.

Sounds like a fricken' sweet auto-x mod...what is the cost?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:55 PM

The

cost is $724.99 and you get $200 back when you return the "core". Russ (Crucial Racing) was very nice on the shipping costs. I'm guesing this is going to be one of the best bang for buck mods I've done. I've done a "few" mods. Stay tuned.

San
Old 07-23-2005, 04:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
wow, right on man....
Old 07-23-2005, 04:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
wow wish i had money to pick one up...
Old 07-24-2005, 05:01 PM

Car Info: 02' wrb wrx w/ RGII
interesting mod...
Old 07-24-2005, 05:35 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon JAVA BLACK PEARL
dam wheres the update? did everything go ok? was it worth it?
Old 07-24-2005, 07:07 PM

I

just typed up a long response just to lose it.
IMHO it was worth it. I want to point out a few things. This is a mod for "enthusiasts". You will not retain the "stock" steering feel with this quickener. You can't go from 16.5:1 to 11:1 (where everything else is the same) without changing the required steering "strength". The steering at low speeds is considerably "heavier". Duh.
The mod isn't that difficult overall. But getting the column spline inside the firewall to penetrate the female receptacle was tough. I couldn't get it to start. It only took Ryan 10 minutes (Thanks Ryan). I can only assume that since I haven't been laid in so long (still waiting for my wife to sign the decree), my ability to force male splines into female receptacles is suspect. Ryan on the other hand is getting laid on a regular basis. Go figure.
Steering at higher speeds feels good. A steering rack won't make your car handle better. Neither will steering rack bushings. But the steering feedback will have a postive (or negative) effect. I've only gone 70+mph into a corner so far, but I felt very confident. It really felt like the car DID handle better. That's the only way I can describe it. I need more time on this quickener. I've only driven it for maybe 40 minutes.
This column is $525 with core exchange (without shipping). Russ (Crucial Racing) will give you good shipping rates. You can't touch that price. Period. Russ was quick to answer any questions and parts were shipped quickly. Everything I ordered arrived safe and sound.
I can't compare this to the RevLab as I haven't tried it. Gary Sheehan uses the RevLab and I ain't gonna argue with him. I will say that you'll get the Crucial Racing rack fast (less than a week for me). I believe one member here has been waiting a long time for the RevLab. Not dissing RevLab, but half a year + is long.
Finally, I'll use the word "commitment". Don't buy this column if you want to retain the "feel" of your stock WRX. Ain't gonna happen. You can't get something for nothing. Everything has a trade-off. Wanna check it out? Give me a call at these numbers: 422-2595 (H), 448-1436 (W), or 255-8591 (C).

San
Old 07-24-2005, 07:42 PM

Car Info: MY 02 WRB WRX Wagon
San, Gary Sheehan is going to drive this column in the Time Attack in Element Tuning's car.

Didn't you feel a huge improvement in response?

Last edited by misterx; 07-24-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by oldmansan
just typed up a long response just to lose it.
IMHO it was worth it. I want to point out a few things. This is a mod for "enthusiasts". You will not retain the "stock" steering feel with this quickener. You can't go from 16.5:1 to 11:1 (where everything else is the same) without changing the required steering "strength". The steering at low speeds is considerably "heavier". Duh.
The mod isn't that difficult overall. But getting the column spline inside the firewall to penetrate the female receptacle was tough. I couldn't get it to start. It only took Ryan 10 minutes (Thanks Ryan). I can only assume that since I haven't been laid in so long (still waiting for my wife to sign the decree), my ability to force male splines into female receptacles is suspect. Ryan on the other hand is getting laid on a regular basis. Go figure.
Steering at higher speeds feels good. A steering rack won't make your car handle better. Neither will steering rack bushings. But the steering feedback will have a postive (or negative) effect. I've only gone 70+mph into a corner so far, but I felt very confident. It really felt like the car DID handle better. That's the only way I can describe it. I need more time on this quickener. I've only driven it for maybe 40 minutes.
This column is $525 with core exchange (without shipping). Russ (Crucial Racing) will give you good shipping rates. You can't touch that price. Period. Russ was quick to answer any questions and parts were shipped quickly. Everything I ordered arrived safe and sound.
I can't compare this to the RevLab as I haven't tried it. Gary Sheehan uses the RevLab and I ain't gonna argue with him. I will say that you'll get the Crucial Racing rack fast (less than a week for me). I believe one member here has been waiting a long time for the RevLab. Not dissing RevLab, but half a year + is long.
Finally, I'll use the word "commitment". Don't buy this column if you want to retain the "feel" of your stock WRX. Ain't gonna happen. You can't get something for nothing. Everything has a trade-off. Wanna check it out? Give me a call at these numbers: 422-2595 (H), 448-1436 (W), or 255-8591 (C).

San
I decree to have sex? AWESOME...I need to start getting girls to sign some for me....just playin'

Anyways, so the steering is harder to turn, right? On a percentage scale how much harder? Is it a pain in the **** in parking lots? Is it almost as bad as driving without power steering?

I'm sure it's awesome going fast though

Also, I'm with you on the whole stock "feel". My car hasn't felt stock since I put in my front sway bar...got bump steer up the yang!
Old 07-24-2005, 08:46 PM

Ok,

yeah, a huge difference in response. It's quick. But I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking that the response comes at no cost. The steering is "heavier". I'm military, so until my divorce is final, I'd be taking a chance if I were to fit my male interface into a female receptacle. I retire in two years. Just isn't worth it. If Jessica Alba (or something equally hot) knocks on my door, all bets are off. Gary Sheehan was driving the RevLab 12.5:1 with a 10" steering wheel. I'm thinking about a 350mm (13.78") or 340mm (13.39") steering wheel. Not sure I'd want to go smaller (with 11:1). I'll let myself get "climatized" first. I'd be driving now, but I've had a few brews.

San
Old 07-24-2005, 08:48 PM

Car Info: MY 02 WRB WRX Wagon
Is it fun?

I thought it more fun than any other "handling" mod I'd ever done!

As far as the heavier feel goes, I don't notice it anymore. But I do notice I can change lanes at 80 mph by moving the wheel just an inch or so.

Last edited by misterx; 07-24-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Yeah my Rev-labs rack just made it in after over 7 months of waiting. Now I'm trading my STi in and it does me no good. It is an 11:1 rack, and I want it so bad, but it is just a waste of money at this point. I may be picking up the 12.5:1 rev-labs rack that they have on hand that will work in my 2.5 RSTi.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:56 PM

I

just need a bit of time for evaluation. I drove it from Vakamon to my house. Not really enough time. But the corner coming off H-1 and the corner coming into the front gate at Hickam felt very "controlled". Like I said before, the car felt like it handled better, even though I know that isn't the case. Rather, I had a better "feel" for the car.

San

Quick Reply: Crucial Racing steering quickener