Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Cool even though I hate NASCAR

http://www.hottamales.com/g2/arcade/ht_thunder.php

Note: you don't have to register to play
Old 01-11-2003, 06:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Just for the record, I wanted to state as succinctly as possible that NASCAR rules.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:34 PM
VIP Member

For one, It would seem as if driving at 180mph in a 3 to 4 wide traffic, in an overall mass of cars, would be pretty exciting and require a fair amount of skill and nerve. I know I couldn't do it.

Another thing, I think it's cool that 3 of the best current drivers are Hoosiers. It's my opinion that all three of those dudes are so much better than everyone else because they learned their chops on dirt and tarmac/concrete in little 600hp midget sprint cars or or in 180hp go-carts.

Another thing I enjoy is how crucial pit strategy and pit efficiency is. I'm not too smart about the 'how stock are these cars, really?' arguments, but it would seem like in the pits is one of the few areas where they can get an edge. The only other edge I can think of is, of course, the driver.

I have no idea how the NASCAR drivers would rate against any other motorsports drivers. Honestly, I don't really give a ****.

The only road racing NASCAR does is pure boredom. Why would someone want to watch a road race with non-road racing cars, crews and drivers? That's sort of like turning on the Dakar Rally, not knowing too much about it, and finding 5 ton trucks racing. Or Pike's Peak and their Semi's. Or like watching souped-up riding lawnmowers go around in a circle. Or snowmobile drag racing. Like I said, who cares?

Bottom line, I enjoy it. I enjoy other types of racing, but obviously NASCAR is on much more regular than anything else. Also, it helps that my wife enjoys it more than I do.

Last edited by gpatmac; 01-11-2003 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
More power to you, Pat. It's just not my cup of tea at all.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:00 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by StiStiSti
could you explain why u like Nascar
I was just answering a question.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
boy, somebody hit a nerve!

nobody like Nazicar anyhow!!

... but I'd drive one if they let me!!
Old 01-11-2003, 09:59 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Originally posted by gpatmac
For one, It would seem as if driving at 180mph in a 3 to 4 wide traffic, in an overall mass of cars, would be pretty exciting and require a fair amount of skill and nerve. I know I couldn't do it.
That's the same thing I always say, Pat! I don't pay much attention at all the NASCAR, so it's not like I'm a super-fan. I don't think I've ever watched a complete race.

Anyway, it amazes me that people say, "They just drive in circles, it's soooo boring." I'm with you, Pat, I don't see how cars running 3 and 4 abreast at 180+mph is "boring". Maybe it's just the fact that the magic of TV makes it look easy, like the guys are just cruising along in a pack like all of us cruise down the highway. In actuality, those cars are all on the absolute knife edge of traction, just like an F1 car blasting through Eau Rouge at Spa. Tim O'neil, who runs the Team O'neil Rally School and competes in SCCA ProRally, told a group of us in one of his classes that if he would love to have the skill that the Winston Cup drivers have - and that's coming from an accomplished rally driver!

Originally posted by the other Pat
The only other edge I can think of is, of course, the driver.
You'd be amazed at how much of a difference there can be in the engines. Those guys are still tweaking and experimenting and tweaking some more, trying to find that edge, even after using essentially the same drivetrain for years. A buddy of mine in CT bought a couple year old Busch North (couple steps down from WC) car last winter and also started working on the crew of a Busch North team. He said the level of attention to detail in the engines is just unbelievable - everything is optimized to the maximum extent possible. A few horsepower here and there, a slightly broader torque band to come off the corners better, all that adds up.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan