(Cold Weather Traveling) Need some help before this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 01:22 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Exclamation (Cold Weather Traveling) Need some help before this weekend!

I will be traveling to good ole Edision, NJ for a business trip and it will be the coldest weather that I have EVER been in. I leave on the 15th

I need some help from you mainland folks or Hawaii folks that have travel to this sort of weather conditions.

I will be going there for a business trip and my hotel is about 1 mile away from work (which isn't to bad). I will have a shuttle be able to bring me back and forth to the hotel but in between time I might have to tag along with other people that work at that facility and I don't know what to expect.

I have bought some underarmor thermal wear. When will I need to put on my thermals? before I board the plane going to NJ? after I land and get to the airport then rush to the bathroom and put it on in one of the stalls?

what type of clothes should I need? I have a gloves, thick jacket, beenie that covers my ears, turtle neck sweaters. I will also need to have long sleeve shirts for work though... will regular shoes be ok? I also need chapstick...etc. Will I need sunblock?

I know I'm brown but I can still get burnt if it decides to snow while I'm there!

I shouldn't be out side for very long and should be in a building or a vehicle most of the time but I just want to make sure that I don't freeze to death!

what recommendations do you guys have for me?

I need all the information that I can get before this weekend so please post USEFUL information only.

Thanks!

Jon
Old 01-10-2005, 01:37 PM

Car Info: 07 limited
calm down... you will not freeze to death. You will not need the thermals if you are not planning on staying outside for extended periods of time.

You will just need a nice warm coat, a hat will not hurt, some chapstick would be useful and some longsleeve work shirts. Shoes will be fine, just make sure you wear some socks.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Jon, from the sound of it, you won't have anything to worry about due to the fact that you'll be outdoors long enough to walk to your car and then to walk from your car. It takes a prolongued amount of time (hours/days) to be out in 20-30 deg. weather in order to be frostbitten/die of exposure.

Long johns and chapstick are all you'll need. Chapstick isn't to protect against the cold so much as how dry it is.

http://www.weather.com/activities/tr...locid=USNJ0131
Old 01-10-2005, 01:44 PM

well... I'm just trying to prepare since I have never been in that sort of weather before...

like I always say...

"Brown people don't do well in cold weather"

"I'll become a brownsicle"

I've been to Japan where the weather was about 43°+ and didn't need thermals though it would have helped! I also did walk around quite a bit too! but this isn't japan dammit! this is NJ! when I went I wore a hat / thick jacket / jeans / shoes / turtle neck sweater and I think I shirt underneath... only thing is that my legs were very cold.

30° is a lot colder than 40°

I'm hoping to over prepare since I don't want to have anything happen I'm won't be prepared for you know...
Old 01-10-2005, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
not sure about stuff for the cold, but get yourself a PSP for the long trip. it is very nice. anyone wanna buy my DS.

nah, some good underwear would be useful as i noticed in tahoe. a good beanie and some good gloves.
b
Old 01-10-2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by b_drift
not sure about stuff for the cold, but get yourself a PSP for the long trip. it is very nice. anyone wanna buy my DS.

nah, some good underwear would be useful as i noticed in tahoe. a good beanie and some good gloves.
b
WHOA! PSP is OUT?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:35 PM

Car Info: your mom.
it's going to be in mid-low 30s which is pretty normal this time of year. be grateful though - it's usually much colder around this time of year.

you're going to be 15 minutes from where i grew up! not a bad area - nice, but has some industrial parts. I'd stay away from the clubs over there as they're kinda beat.

shoes, long socks, pants, long sleeve shirts, and a warm jacket. if it's windy and you were going to be outside a lot, i'd recommend a hat that covers your ears and gloves. since you'll be inside a lot(where it's most likely heated) a long sleeve shirt will be fine indoors.

if you have time off, you should try to make your way into NYC. i can see if some of my friends can take you out
Old 01-10-2005, 03:52 PM

just wear some sweats under your jeans and layer you clothes. Maybe a shirt, sweater and a jacket. 30-40's isn't that bad. I usually run around in a t-shirt after snowboarding cause you work up a good sweat.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Originally Posted by iNfEk
Will I need sunblock?

I know I'm brown but I can still get burnt if it decides to snow while I'm there!
WTF! You don't get sun burnt just because it snows! You are going to look like the kid from A Christmas Story. You will have no mobility whatsoever! I recommend wearing long pants and a sweater on the airplane. Make sure you dress in layers so you can add or remove layers based on how hot/cold you get. You will be cold for the first day or so, but you'll get used to it quickly. Go to some outdoor store here and get some good wool socks. They will keep you feeling comfy no matter what.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Man up and go NAKED!

+1 for Justin...just wear regular work clothes and you'll be cool. Just use a jacket and wear COTTON slacks like Dockers. Shoes...anything with grip for wet pavement is good...I go with Rockport (Nordstrom).

You should be ok though...10s-20s is when you start to feel it. Besides it's doubtful that you'll walk very far in the cold. I used to walk around in a suit (regular kind) and was ok even in the snow for short walks.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Oh after 1 week at home I was going out in the snow with bare feet and nothing but boxers. It felt good! DO NOT buy a ski mask since you are brown you could be shot. It would be sad with out Jon .
Old 01-10-2005, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
hey berownsickle (haha-that waas funny),
main thing is keeping your head warm in really cold weather, heat escapes from your head. cover your ears and make sure you have skin and lip moisturizers! gloves wouldn't hurt either. either thermal underwear or layering works in the cold. But if you are only in and out of the outdoors, i think you'll be o.k. without too muck clothes.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:11 PM

Car Info: 06 F4I & 04 G35 CHEHOOO
Yo Jon, I Just Came Back From Begas Where It Was Low To Mid 40's.. Jeans And Shirt And Thick *** Sweater Is A Must. Some Things To Keep In Mind: Mittens, Beanie, Scarf, Ear Muffs. And Whatever Covers Your Skin...
Old 01-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Car Info: your mom.
oh, and for the plane ride - where really comfy clothes(gym pants and a long sleeve t-shirt). If you're lucky and got a non-stop flight, you'll be on the plane for 10.5 hours.

i also usually pack my ipod, some mags, and bring my own food(cuz it takes them a while to bring out their sub-par food)
Old 01-10-2005, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
I've been to NJ this time of the year and all I wore was pants a beanie no gloves and a t-shirt and some HIC hooded sweatshirts..But I love cold weather..

Quick Reply: (Cold Weather Traveling) Need some help before this weekend!