auto cross today!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:06 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
Originally Posted by corytomo
My recommendation is just keep coming out with what you got, and just get more seat time and experience with the car and cones. Then after a year or so, get some good r-compound tires... or buy someones used ones. *cough*ryan*cough*
I agree wholeheartedly, I've been competing in STU in my car with the only mod being the front strut bar. I've been learning how to drive the car and adding parts as money and budget would allow. In fact I DNF'd all four runs in my first event, I'm still learning right now. The EVO driving school was a real eye-opener for me. I like competing on street tires, but would like to experience r-comps one day.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 AM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
You know, while my first season was an eye-opener, starting in a really small class and getting a couple of 2nd place cones was nice. But then I jumped to STU and realized that my skills are no where NEAR where I thought they'd be, and not only that but I also realized I'm miles behind the rest of the class. And what do you expect? I'm racing against guys who have been doing this triple-times longer than I have. It was humbling to say the least.

What's my point? Don't let yourself get too competitive. I've learned that nothing beats experience. And you don't that earn that with a fresh set of tires and a sway-bar. Just throw your expectations away and drive, and Autocross will be THAT much more fun. I'll admit, it kinda sucks seeing myself at the bottom of results list in STU, but I get bummed about that for about an hour and then get over it.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 08 sti
my car was completely stock for 2.5 years in STU and then i finally bought new tires. i didn't get sway bars until i was almost done paying off my car. the extra seat time from rallycross and fun runs at autocross really help.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:51 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
I am planning on just watching lots and lots of Fast and Furious and in no time I will have this down Got a CEL yesterday and it was Pdtm? Code reader said Danger to Manifold? Hmmm must be all my NAS i be running
Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Two words: New hoosiers!
You're fast too man, all you need is more seat time and (new) bigger tires. ;-)
Thanks Cory!

I wish I could afford some hoosiers and new tires all the time... I just got my new road tires so new race tires will have to wait. Not sure what I can squeeze on to an 8" wheel though.... 245's currently.. So sad that your miata has wider tires than my STi. And then when Joey finishes his beast and can run 305's I'll feel really pathetic.

My recommendation is just keep coming out with what you got, and just get more seat time and experience with the car and cones. Then after a year or so, get some good r-compound tires... or buy someones used ones. *cough*ryan*cough*
heh. I've got an old set of tires still...though I don't think that anyone would want to run on them. Ask Cory, I think he was suprised an STi could "Rotate" (SPIN OUT MULTIPLE TIMES) like that.

Maybe when the V710's run out I'll put them up for you to sample.

Originally Posted by PSBeachBum
I am planning on just watching lots and lots of Fast and Furious and in no time I will have this down Got a CEL yesterday and it was Pdtm? Code reader said Danger to Manifold? Hmmm must be all my NAS i be running
Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
Originally Posted by YuudaiSTI
heh. I've got an old set of tires still...though I don't think that anyone would want to run on them. Ask Cory, I think he was suprised an STi could "Rotate" (SPIN OUT MULTIPLE TIMES) like that.
oh that was fun. i drove it harder through that turn than my miata, thinking it would probably push so i'd need to jerk the wheel to get it to rotate.... then wheeeeee i'm backwards, wtf!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:30 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
My searching didn't turn up any more recent auto-x threads, so I'll bump this one.

I'm on Oahu for the month of July, and I'd like to attend next weekend's event. I haven't run here since 2005, at which point I was running my own car. A couple questions I didn't find answers to looking on the sccahawaii.org website:

(1) How do I determine if I run in the morning or afternoon? I don't remember if the morning or afternoon break-down is based on class, or if there's some way to select. I would need to run in the morning, so if it's based on class, I'll need to be sign up for the right class.

(2) Do they have loaner helmets? If not, can I borrow someone's helmet?

(3) Anyone running in the morning next weekend want a co-driver? I'll pay your entry fee. It would be nice to drive something sporty.

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 07-09-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
1. The site has a run/work schedule. So look there STU is afternoon and I would be in morning on first heat and working second being in SM

2. ID required for loaner helmet

3. My wagon is to slow(driver mod needed) for it to be worth a co-driver.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 PM

(1) Oh, you mean the schedule cleverly hidden under the "Run/work/grid schedule" link? Not sure how I missed that before.

(2) Gotcha, thanks.

(3) Fair enough.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Wow, haven't seen you post here in a while, Pat. How u been? Still got the "Winter GT"?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:09 AM

All is well. I don't visit i-club much since the regional forums for the places I've lived since leaving here are more active on NASIOC. I still have the ol' Legacy, but I changed up the license plate a while back:

It's sitting in a storage unit for a couple months while I'm out here.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM

pat, haven't seen you for a while!
i woulda let you codrive the miata, but its down for this season....
the gc is available if you want though, but it has 6psi, kyb agx shocks, stock springs, no brakes, and rally tires. lol
Old 07-09-2012, 01:36 PM

I went ahead and pre-registered in HS with my ren... uh, a friend's car.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
That is an awesome picture, and even cooler plates! Look forward to meeting you on the 15th.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen
I went ahead and pre-registered in HS with my ren... uh, a friend's car.
haha just take the plates off or put painters tape over it, your friend won't know... lol

love that you're still rocking the scca hawaii plate frame

Quick Reply: auto cross today!!