Attn: Richard, Wes, Jason, Pat, etal...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 04:54 PM

Attn: Richard, Wes, Jason, Pat, etal...

Yo guys I need some help. My 1/4 times are stagnated. No longer can I get 13's. With the same mods, I'm at 14.0-14.1 and getting slower! Is it possible that because I launch with a lot of wheelspin (I've been told by PeeWee that I spin the most front tire off the launch than any other Suby) I have maybe damaged my center differential? Could I be basically a front wheel drive Suby at this point? I think I can sometimes feel my rear end also break traction on launches.(?) Any thoughts? I'm discouraged... Thanks.

Last edited by russ; 10-03-2003 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:53 PM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
I know im none of those guys but when i "was" in the 13's with the 92's and when they got super bald my times went to like 14.2- 14.4. i think it might be time to get new tires.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Wink

Originally posted by mario
I know im none of those guys but
I don't know anything about 1/4 mile, either.

What are your 60Ft times for the current 14's?

Are you on your RE-92's?
Old 10-03-2003, 06:40 PM

Car Info: toaster
I think maybe because it's been so humid lately.

I'd like to blame my half second and 5 mph loss because of the humidity.

I dont really know for sure, until it goes away.

Anyway to try a different set of rims and tires? I dont think your car is broken.

Maybe others can help chime in.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally posted by kawshon1

Word
Old 10-03-2003, 07:08 PM

Car Info: G35 Coupe (FOR SALE)

I dont really know for sure, until it goes away.

Anyway to try a different set of rims and tires? I dont think your car is broken.

Maybe others can help chime in.
At least I'm not the only one.

The humiditiy didn't seem to bother the SRT though.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
I know you didn't ask me, ... but I think it's b/c the track sucks ***.

but really, ... how many miles do you have on the current clutch? You may not feel it slipping, but it may be. And if others 1320 times are decreasing also, .... that 'may' be a sign that it indeed is 'other outside' variables contributing to your slow *** car , ..... I mean your increase in 1/4 mile times. (It has been HOT as HELL lately!! )

Or maybe your car is just pissed at you.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:39 PM

Thanks guys! I really didn't mean to exclude anyone...I just started with those guys and the "etal" was supposed to cover everybody else!

My 60 ft times are a steady 1.9xx. I'm on RE92's of an unknown mileage (I got 'em from someone used) with lots of tread but the rubber may be baked already (2 autox's and close to 200 1/4 mile passes and they just don't hold on Tantalus anymore!). Got 21k on my original clutch...which shudders if I don't spank it at the track every few weeks. Yes, it has been humid, but I've seen other cars hit their "bests" in the same conditions. And yes, the track does "suck" Sean! Pat showed me the Grand Canyon at the end of the concrete launch pad on the Tower Lane side! Wow!

I'll have to try new tires I guess...at least my baby ain't broke!
Old 10-03-2003, 07:47 PM

Car Info: 02 RS

i second that.. all this humidity is also affecting my 1/4 mile walk. i think my 60ft times have gained an additional 30 seconds
Old 10-03-2003, 08:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Russ, with that 60', which I'm assuming is the same 60' you've been getting since your 13 sec. days, it would seem as if you've got all the traction you need.

I'd second what Sean is saying. When my clutch went, I could feel it grab and slip all the way down the strip. It felt like I was having timing pulled but I knew I wasn't. Results were slower times AND slower traps. While you're troubleshooting, though, I'd check plugs.

An area I'm not too smart on is differentials, but that is something I'd research.

Lastly, your car could very well be on the 'high detonation map'. The havok that the crazy weather might have played on your car here lately might have forced your ECU to switch to the high det map. Maybe an ECU reset might help out.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
I concur with the folks that are blamin' the weather conditions. High humidity, middling temperatures, low barometer... Just ugly out there.

My clutch went and it didn't feel like it was slipping/grabbing/slipping - it just SLIPPED when the power came on. I'd have to let off the pedal to get any sort of forward momentum going again.

You shoulda seen my pressure plate. The clutch disc hub was actually BRIGHT BLUE like the titanium exhaust tip on Wes' car.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:12 AM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
I nailed it the other day and my clutch let go at 5500RPM. It sucked. I can't afford another clutch.

As for Russ,
I'd go for what pat is saying. All this crappy weather could have affected your maps. Especially if you do highway commuting in this heat and humidity.

A Delta Dash would really help you out with figuring out your long term fuel trim and timing issues. That thing logs like 56 channels simultaneously or something crazy like that. And it's only 380 bucks. Plus you can make idle correction and small amounts of fuel and timing correction.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:09 AM

I agree with pat, in that you got plenty traction. My best 60' are on the stock wheels and RE-92's. Although I ain't never got a 1.4xx 60'. Russ, at our power levels the more wheelspin the better. For what it's worth, last week I only hit a 13.8 and a 13.9
Old 10-04-2003, 03:15 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
It could be either your tires are getting bald (I know my times got worse when my tires were bald) or it's the extra humidity that we've been having lately.

Yeah.. I think my car is/was on the high detenation map...

Jon
Old 10-04-2003, 03:36 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys! As I think back, I think I did 1.8xx 60 ft. on those 13.8's. I'll try an ECU reset. I'll check/replace my plugs, too. That Delta Dash sounds interesting.

Tonite I did a 14.1 best run of the night...it was the only hard pulling launch I had all night...a 1.998 60ft. The rest were 2.xxx something 60fts! Most of my launches were bogging...and I almost never used to bog on a launch. Can it be that my RE92's suddenly got sticky? LOL!

Quick Reply: Attn: Richard, Wes, Jason, Pat, etal...