Anyone pretty comfortable/handy with nitrous oxide?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 09:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Anyone pretty comfortable/handy with nitrous oxide?

I've always wanted to try it out. I'm so broke right now that it's only a pipe dream (get it?). It's a wet kit and it'd probably go on the RS...first.

$300 for the entire kit.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:28 PM

Location: Ewa Beach, Hawaii...Current Best Time: 12.59 @ 107.48mph (108.47 best mph) in Hawaiis humid weather! w/ stock turbo&intercooler
Car Info: 2004 STi.....stock turbo/intercooler/cat-back, aftermarket intake/downpipe/piggyback
Not a bad deal, Pat! .... just keep in mind you need to be a little careful when using that stuff, I'd recommend using just a small dose when not running direct port...cause it'll promote uneven distribution between cylinders! Also, dont forget to add a full throttle switch among other safety features!
Old 06-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Sure. I've been through dozens of bottles on my 'Stang.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:53 AM
VIP Member

Sweet. Now I know who to PM.

I don't think you ever told me.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:54 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JT-Sti2
Not a bad deal, Pat! .... just keep in mind you need to be a little careful when using that stuff, I'd recommend using just a small dose when not running direct port...cause it'll promote uneven distribution between cylinders! Also, dont forget to add a full throttle switch among other safety features!
Without looking, I think he said he's got a WOT controller.

I'm thinking about it mainly for my RS to see what a little bit of power would feel like in it. That is, until I get my X up and running.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:32 AM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
sweeeeeeeeet dude, you gonna be running the NOS.

i want a kit for myself too, but i just want it hooked up to purge when i'm at stop lights. :banana:
Old 06-04-2005, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally Posted by gpatmac
Without looking, I think he said he's got a WOT controller.
is that the one with a switch attached to the gas pedal? if so i've driven my friends mustang with a kit like that- pretty cool... kinda made feel like knight rider

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 06-04-2005, 03:00 PM
VIP Member

Gregg, I understand the function of it and what capabilities it gives you, but I have no idea how the electronics of it work.

I just picture in my mind some sort of pressure switch actually located behind the gas pedal that is off until you floor it, then either the metal of the pedal itself or from an element that you attach behind the gas pedal touches another element and completes the circuit. Completely on or completely off.

I guess the gas is plumbed into the intake.

The bottle has to be kept warm (when armed.)

There should also be something in the way of a fuel controller or there should be some sort of a solenoid??? that somehow overrides the ECU's signal to the injectors to stay open just a New York minute longer.

I have no idea that's just my guess.

Julio, just get yourself an intercooler sprayer, some LED, and aim it skywards.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:06 PM

Location: Ewa Beach, Hawaii...Current Best Time: 12.59 @ 107.48mph (108.47 best mph) in Hawaiis humid weather! w/ stock turbo&intercooler
Car Info: 2004 STi.....stock turbo/intercooler/cat-back, aftermarket intake/downpipe/piggyback
I used to run NOS on my '87 Scirocco several years ago, and made lot of runs down the track using between 80-100HP shot with no problems xcept for the fogger nozzles cracking. I had a direct port system, connected to my programmable ignition, which automatically retarded the timing 8 degrees when the NOS kicked in, as well as a 3000 RPM minimum/7500 RPM maximum window, a full throttle switch connected to the throttle body. I also had it connected to a progressive controller which fluttered the solenoids with an adjustable initial % output and time delay to max output. The result.... without NOS ....14.9sec/91 mph ---> with NOS 13.2sec/108+ mph. I got tired of replacing fractured fogger nozzles, so I went all motor and tweaked the car more till it ran 14.2xx @ 96.5mph w/ full interior. Keep in mind...its very important to run a special colder sparkplug w/ a shorter groundstrap, as well as possibly running some race gas. Contact NOS for the specific info...
Old 06-04-2005, 08:53 PM
VIP Member

Thanks JT.

Yeah, I imagine that all of the considerations that come with running a turbo (the only power-adder that I'm comfortable in my knowledge), ie. colder plugs, retarded/slightly less aggressive time, more fuel....

Those are the things that I assumed would need to be considered. Those others, such as keeping the bottle warm, how reliable is the mechanism to turn it on and off accurately, what things I need to do to insure that my car doesn't turn into a guided bomb.....

One more thing. Due to my experience with the STi block, my most recent thought process is that the most critical weakness of the EJ engine is the cast pistons. I need to come to a conclusion as to how critical it would be to replace the cast with forged when factoring in a 50-100hp shot.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:20 PM

Note: Keep in mind, I ran the NOS on a "totally" stock bottom end VW motor! No problem whatsoever with the stock factory cast pistons! OEM makes 134HP in a 2.0L, I was running close to 275 HP/270TQ when I ran 13.2 @ 108mph...The key is to have the proper Air/Fuel mixture, and ignition timing. Never run too lean or with too much advance when using NOS on factory cast pistons. Dont forget to run the special colder plugs w/ a shortened ground strap, when using NOS, the combustion process will be more agressive which is enough to melt the stock length ground strap.....I know cause I've done it already!

Last edited by JT-Sti2; 06-11-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
BURNINATE! ;p

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=crx_burnt
Old 06-11-2005, 04:40 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
dang pat! you are freakin brilliant!

why waste all that money on a nos set up when i can get something that looks just like it

that kind of sounds like the add for the turbo exhaust whistle.....
Old 06-11-2005, 06:13 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by namakemono
dang pat! you are freakin brilliant!

why waste all that money on a nos set up when i can get something that looks just like it

that kind of sounds like the add for the turbo exhaust whistle.....
That's not what I'm talking about you silly, silly boy.

I'm just a n00b asking questions in earnest.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by JT-Sti2
Note: Keep in mind, I ran the NOS on a "totally" stock bottom end VW motor! No problem whatsoever with the stock factory cast pistons! OEM makes 134HP in a 2.0L, I was running close to 275 HP/270TQ when I ran 13.2 @ 108mph...The key is to have the proper Air/Fuel mixture, and ignition timing. Never run too lean or with too much advance when using NOS on factory cast pistons. Dont forget to run the special colder plugs w/ a shortened ground strap, when using NOS, the combustion process will be more agressive which is enough to melt the stock length ground strap.....I know cause I've done it already!
I was just wondering sinced you used to be a VW guy- do you know if theres someone want to get rid of 81 S scirocco in the island? Me and my bro used to be a big fan way back- we had 77champaign edition 80, and 81-s. Its a fun zippy car. I would love to have one again.

Quick Reply: Anyone pretty comfortable/handy with nitrous oxide?