Anyone here running Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 01:36 PM

Car Info: Aspen White 03 BES
Talking

hehe....nicely done.....

id rather win a race with just the naturaly given turbo...thats enough for me. why stand the chance of blowin my motor or ME up for just a few more horses? let your SKILL do the drivin, not your N2O tank.....just me.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 2004 SRR WRX
Originally Posted by theoverachiever
My thoughts:
1. Im not afraid to put nitrous into my car (i had it in my old gsr)
Okay, well? What did you think of the benefits? That's the whole reason I'm asking this. If it was free to refill, what negatives would there be? Did it feel like a good bang for the buck improvment?

3. My friend blew his motor in his 03 spec-v, most likely because he was a nitrous junky.
That sucks for your friend. What size shot was he running?

4. Why only have a fast car when you feel like burning money?
Exactly!
If I feel like burning more money and fuel, I can use the bottle. If I'm driving to work, or across the island, or whatever, I can stay off the bottle and conserve fuel. I Think if I did all the modifications I would have to do to gain the same HP as nitrous, I would permanently hamper my gas mileage. I don't wanna have to get a huge turbo and then drive it under 2500rpm during daily driving to keep from shoveling fuel into the motor.

5. heated N20 becomes nitrogen and oxygen (which is extremely flamable/volatile)
This is true, but the nitrogen and oxygen don't split until around 570F. I don't know about you, but my trunk doesn't get that hot. I would be more afraid of the pressurised container bursting and shooting the bottle through a seat/fender/whatever.

6. 173degree boiling point isnt the same as the flash point
Fine, well, the flaspoint of methanol/ethanol/denatured alcohol is 50F-55F. That doesn't make me any more comfortable with the idea of having in in a plastic container in my engine compartment. I do think it's a good Idea though, and plan on reading alot more about it.

7. Spray at low rpms = detonation
I thought that could be fixed with the right amount of additional fuel. I was thinking of a staged wet setup. But hey, maybe I'll just shoot nitrous and alcohol at the same time! Not seriously, but I'm really interested in the benefits of alcohol.

8. Unless you are running 1000hp turbo your revs at launch should be enough for spool
Ok.

9. If you wanna lecture us about how good nitrous is in a wrx why ask about it in the first place
Geez man, don't get all insulted about it. I'm not lecturing anybody about nitrous in a wrx. I'm not going to be deterred by all the "don't get nitrous because it's bad, but i've never used it" either. You have used it, and That's cool. I already know that you CAN damage your engine using it, just the same as you can damage your engine with a bigger turbo without proper fuel system upgrades, or bad tuning, or anything else you do that changes your car from stock. What I'm really interested in is somebody who has used nitrous in their wrx, so I can find out from them what issues they had with it.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:25 PM

ok, to clear this up, do you have a NASIOC account? if so, get on there and ask oldmansan this question, or send hima PM here...hes the guy to ask. if you have already made up ur mind and are SO knowledgeable about this, why did you post it?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
First

off, I am not a nitrous expert. But I think there are a lot who look "down" on nitrous, kind of like "all motor" guys look down on turbos. The bottom line is if it makes power, safe power, what's the problem? There are plenty of people using nitrous at lower rpms to get to the "spool" point more quickly. With the proper setup, this only makes sense for dragging. "spray at low rpms = detonation" is a blanket statement that doesn't hold any water. There are so many determining factors (fuel, timing, compression, etc) that all contribute. Nitrous alone does not equal detonation. Nitrous without a plan "can" equal detonation, but so can boost from a turbo. No matter what turbo you get, it will exhibit one of two things, either spool quickly and run out of steam or spool late and make power up top. No turbo brings the best of both worlds. Using nitrous with a big turbo where the nitrous is shut down or tapered when the turbo is at an adequate spool point only makes sense. You get the best of both worlds. I don't think anyone here is thinking about using nitrous all the time. I wouldn't hesitate to use nitrous if I planned on dragging, but I would do my homework to ensure it was safe. The same can be said for lots of mods. Do your research before you leap.

San
Old 01-03-2006, 11:34 PM

Car Info: Evo G-Car RRS 600RR YZ125 TRX450r
In my opinion nitrous was a cool thign to have in my teg, but only because there are no serious gains with boltons in an NA honda. With the wrx, on the other hand, $1100 well spent will get you a pretty quick car (227->285hp). I ran 13.7 @ 99.9mph at hrp.

In my opinion drive a stage2 wrx if someone here is kind enough to let you and I think you will be sold on the idea of having power whenever you want...not just when the bottles open.

///

As for the burning of money, I maintained good gas mileage and a quicker spool on stage 2.

As for the safety aspect, although my trunk does not typically warm to 570f imagine if you got into a bad accident and a fire erupted, or your nitrous bottle warmer shorted out... just a few thoughs.

Last edited by theoverachiever; 01-03-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:45 PM

I agree with what oldman said, but I guess it depends on how fast you want to go. You dont need nitrous to spool a vf34 but if you are setting your sights higher then that then you will be getting yourself into a deep project.

From the sounds of your post it appears as though you are running the stock drivetrain which will need to be modified or replaced (sti?) to support high hp applications. Goodluck with your project
Old 01-07-2006, 12:50 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
Originally Posted by megaben300

It amazes me that people are terrified of putting a sealed metal container of a non-flammable liquid in their trunk (nitrous), but they have no problem putting a HIGHLY flammable liquid like methanol or denatured alcohol (with a boiling point of only 173 deg. f) in a PLASTIC container inches away from their turbocharger, intercooler, and exhaust manifolds. .
have you seen the damage to the car and house in the garage after the owner woke up to find that his "sealed bottle" kept pressurizing while he slept, and shot a nice sized hole about the size of the bottle through the car and garage door?
For me it's not the fact of putting the container in my car, but nitrogen oxide in my motor. i just think that my car can do without it. my 2 cent$ worth
Old 01-07-2006, 01:07 PM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
Yes I have seen those pictures of the aftermath..

BUT, I feel nitrous is safe if you use common sense. But common sense is something that is of a rarity nowdays.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:28 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Exactly

what he ^^^ said. Anything can cause damage. Your turbo, your engine management, your boost controller, nitrous, etc. People here want to know exactly how much boost they can run before blowing their motor, but mention nitrous (oh no!) and everyone is "conservative". Everything has it's place when done correctly.

San
Old 01-07-2006, 05:40 PM

its interesting what this thread has brought out....amazing what our perceptions really are when exposed.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:45 PM

Car Info: 2004 SRR WRX
Yeah, I've seen those pictures too. People used to post links to those pics, or the video of the crx guy heating his bottles with a torch right before racing some 4 wheeler, just to have his enging catch on fire during launch. If I remember correctly, the one that blew out the garage door was an improperly installed bottle warmer that continued to heat the bottle for something like two hours after the car was parked. I think they said it was at 400F for a couple of hours before the bottle finally failed. I may be wrong about the numbers though.

I agree with oldmansan though. I hate that nitrous is such taboo, but everybody has the right to love it or hate it.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:18 PM

you have a point....well said
Old 01-16-2006, 06:16 AM

im not saying nitrous is taboo, im just saying in teh wrx there are better ways to gain 50-70 hp.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Scubaru...you crack me up...
Old 01-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
I just know of 2 people back in Puerto Rico..... Big Valley Sti (tuned by Gadiel) w/ 75 shot and Gadiel (75 shot)...but they have r3 block package from C. P.

Quick Reply: Anyone here running Nitrous?